Work or quit

N

nw6675

If most of your work $$ went to vacation, but sacrificing family time...work or quit?

Tough one. I'm not sure. I think one balance I'd prefer time with my family, but travelling has an allure. Can't we just work then take our families on holiday with us?!

If most of your work $$ went to vacation, but sacrificing family time...work or quit?
I suppose you would need to weigh whether the family time you gain by going on the vacations is worth the family time you lose by working. It’s not an easy decision to make, since both choices have pros and cons. I would do whatever makes you and your family happier in the long run.

Hard to say by not knowing all the intricacies.

Are you overall happy with your job?
Are you missing out on important activities near the home that you regret? (ex: kids extracurricular events)
Are the memories and experiences you create on vacation more valuable than the routine of daily home life missed?

That is a decision only you can make.

If the vacations are awesome and enjoyed by all, working is cool. If any of the party is not benefiting from the vacation, ask 'em if they'd rather travel less and hang out more at home.

I had to make this decision when we owned a small business and it wasn’t easy.

Do I keep the store and devote all my time and energy to it, or close the store (which was a dream of mine to have and something we invested an incredible amount of money into) so I can be with my kids (ages 9 & 14 when we had to decide this)?. After a lot of praying and family discussions we decided to close so I could be with our kids and DH more. I miss the store but have zero regrets.

Good luck with this decision process - I know how difficult it is. :hug:

Dd is 12. DH works 12s Sat - Mon and I work Mon-Fri 11 to 8. It is so crappy not seeing him. The money is nice, but sacrificing family time is not. Ugh, Disney is just not that important.

i always worked. There were some sacrifices (seems there is no matter what you do) but everyone survived and thrived.

I guess it depends on how much you like your job and your vacations.

Dd is 12. DH works 12s Sat - Mon and I work Mon-Fri 11 to 8. It is so crappy not seeing him. The money is nice, but sacrificing family time is not. Ugh, Disney is just not that important.
Weekday evenings are a hard time to be away from home, I will say that.
But your husband is home every weekday but Monday? Good that at least one of you is home then.

As a five year cancer survivor who currently works in a setting with leaders I don;t respect, I say family and experiences over work, but, it all depends on your finances. I just put my mother in hospice today; I'm living large for the rest of my life and retiring in June at 65. I have had enough. Mom always wanted to see Japan, but now it;s too late. WORST DAY OF MY LIFE TODAY. She has a DNR.

For me personally there is no way that my husband is home Tuesday through Saturday and I'm working the opposite shift for a Disney vacation. Not remotely worth it to me. If you have to do it to make bills or put food on the table then you do what you have to, but I'm not making that sacrifice for a vacation. But everyone has to make a decision of what works for their family and what they value. I value day to day time with my husband. YMMV.

Is it a possibility to find a different job with a different schedule that leaves you more family time? I know that's easier said than done and I don't know what you do for a living so I don't know how feasible that option is.

I would say - do a compromise. Can you do a job that is more flexible, such as gig work to earn money for vacations? It is by no means consistent, but the flexibility is very much worth that for some people.

I make a very decent salary at my career job, but I also do some delivery driving in my free time (ie weekends for a couple hours) for fun money. Our vacations are very important to us, being able to get away to Disney or do a quick weekend/one day trip is necessary for us. Doing this allows us to take more "luxury" vacations more frequently, without feeling like we are taking too much away from our income for other areas.

That being said, a schedule of 11am-8pm would be really difficult for me, I prefer getting up very early to get work done and having the latter half of the day devoted to doing my own life. If you are not tied to having health insurance/other benefits and feel like maybe another job that was more flexible could work, I would quit.

I was a SAHM for a very long time so I'm gonna be biased and say stay home to enjoy your family if that is what your heart is tugging you to do.

Only thing I would do differently is find something part time mid day, maybe temp work with your employer or similar just so you can jump back in later on without drawing venom from other people.

The one thing I was not prepared for is how horrible people, in particular other women, treated me when I was trying to rebuild a career after being home. The viterol was quite a shock and it wasn't from men, like at all. When I would interview women my age who chose to work and Millenial age young women acted like gatekeepers and denied entry, it was so obvious. As soon as I head the question, "Soooooo I see you weren't working from years X through Y, what were you doing?" I knew they had an axe to grind. They were also awful that I was a secretary at a school district as a re-entry job, "Why were you doing this?" So much for women having choices🙄. I could afford to stay home and wanted to do so and I did, that didn't justify the dehumanization I experienced. At any rate, I don't regret a moment but if I knew I would have done part time at maybe a CPA firm or something as a placeholder.

Last edited:
Find a job that takes less family time. I’d want the vacation dollars but wouldn’t sacrifice family time. By the time my kids were school age, everyone was out of the house from 7:45 to 3 at a minimum so I’d find a job during those hours. Might be fewer vacay dollars than the sacrificing job but a worthwhile balance for me.

Does your whole salary go to WDW vacations? That's a drastic option quit or travel. Can't you work part-time and just cut back on the vacations? WDW is not worth working the hours that you work. I would hate those hours. I work m-f, but mostly from home only about 4 hours a day away from home.

My husband and I worked opposite shifts for about 10 years to avoid childcare costs, but once they got old enough to be alone for a few hours we stopped. I think 12 is old enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter