Writing a Final Paper on DCL - Please help!

Amunet

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!
So, since im addicted to DCL, I'm writing a final paper about the Fish Extender for an anthropology class 🙂
I was hoping to ask questions here so I can include the information in my paper.

Photos of your FE/gifts are welcome if you wish to share!

If I feature one of your responses or photo(s) in my paper, I will refer to you as your username. Please let me know if you want a pseudonym instead.

There are no wrong answers or judgements for these questions, simply gathering data 🙂

1) How many times have you cruised DCL?

2) How many times did you participate in the FE?

3) How did you find out about the FE?

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise?

5) Why do you participate in the FE?

6) Did you make or buy your FE?

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE?

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts)

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE?

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

1) Cruised 11 times on DCL
2) Participated in FE 6 times
3) Found out about FE from the DCL forum on DISboards
4) Found out about FE prior to our first cruise and participated in it on our first cruise
5) Participated in FE when our kids were younger to give our kids something extra special to do and anticipate on the cruises. (stopped participating when the kids got older - when the youngest was in her mid-teens)
6) Purchased a generic item to serve as FE and then personalized it a bit
7) Purchased some items and made some items (e.g., personalized magnets with the date of the cruise on them)
8) Spent about $5 -$10 per person participating in FE (not per stateroom) for the gifts we gave out on various cruises (e.g., if a stateroom had 2A and 2K, we would purchase gifts that totalled between $20-$40 for that stateroom)
9) Always made and gave out a personalized magnet with the date of cruise on it
10) Have sailed on DCL 5 times since we stopped taking part in FE and not being able to participate in FE would not have affected our decision to sail on DCL.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 1
2) How many times did you participate in the FE? 1
3) How did you find out about the FE? Our cruise's Facebook group
4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? Yes, thankfully!
5) Why do you participate in the FE? It felt fun to be connected to some of the other passengers, and also to receive little trinkets.
6) Did you make or buy your FE? Buy
7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Buy
8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) ~$150 total and we were assigned four staterooms with a mix of adults and children
9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? TBD, since I only have a sample size of 1.
10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Yes.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 7 cruises

2)
How many times did you participate in the FE? I think 3 and a 4th was going to be our Spring Break 2020 cruise that was cancelled. Many of the fish extender participants from that cruise mailed each other gifts which was nice since we already had them and it brightened up a really rough stretch.

3)
How did you find out about the FE? Probably the cruise facebook page

4)
Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? No

5)
Why do you participate in the FE? It's fun coming back to the room and seeing stuff in our fish extender. And I enjoy putting together gifts before the cruise. I'm not particularly crafty but it brings something out in me.

6)
Did you make or buy your FE? bought a holder and decorated it myself

7)
Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? combo

8)
How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) Not as much as others... probably $10-$15 per stateroom

9)
Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? Magnets made from glass bead with a favorite character.

10)
Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Of course! I decide cruise by cruise whether to participate. We haven't done it our past couple of cruises (I think for at least one of them they still weren't allowed). Need to decide if I'm going to sign up for our next cruise in December.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? - 9

2) How many times did you participate in the FE?- 0

3) How did you find out about the FE?- DisBoards

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise?- yes

5) Why do you participate in the FE? - don't

6) Did you make or buy your FE?- don't

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE?-n/a

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) - n/a

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE?- n/a

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? yes.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? - 9

3) How did you find out about the FE?- DisBoards

5) Why do you participate in the FE? - don't

6) Did you make or buy your FE?- don't

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE?-n/a

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) - n/a

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE?- n/a

1. 10
2. 3
3. On board and facebook pages
4. No
5. We thought it would be fun and exciting to do
6. made it all at home
7. combo of the two
8. probably $10-15 per person
9. No - it has changed up based on the cruise, etc
10. Absolutely - we only did it 3 out of 10 times. We were sorely disappointed in a lot of "junk" we received as part of the FE back to us, so we rarely participate now. Many times, we ended up throwing out on the ship the stuff we got from FE because it was a trinket, or something useless. To me, FE is not required to sail. One can have a great time on a Disney cruise without FE.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 11

2)
How many times did you participate in the FE? 1

3)
How did you find out about the FE? DISboards initially then cruise specific FB groups.

4)
Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? No.

5)
Why do you participate in the FE? It's fun for my 5yo to get little gifts!

6)
Did you make or buy your FE? Buy.

7)
Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Buy.

8)
How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts). $50ish

9)
Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? Pins.

10)
Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Definitely.

1 29
2 0
3. here

The rest of the questions are N|A. You might want to change your survey to just people that do FE.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 5

2)
How many times did you participate in the FE? 2

3)
How did you find out about the FE? My MIL

4)
Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? Yes

5)
Why do you participate in the FE? We did it for our large family party. I haven't done one with strangers.

6)
Did you make or buy your FE? My SIL made them for everyone in the group.

7)
Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Combo

8)
How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) Since it was only 4 rooms each time, probably $40-50

9)
Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? If I were to do it again, I'd do candy, chapstick, maybe sunglasses

10)
Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Yes, I only do it when the whole family is going. To be honest, I don't need or want more stuff I have to pack.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? - 31

3) How did you find out about the FE?- DisBoards/Other social media sites

5) Why do you participate in the FE? - N/A

6) Did you make or buy your FE?- N/A

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE?-N/A

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) - N/A

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE?- N/A

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 25

2) How many times did you participate in the FE? 2

3) How did you find out about the FE? Dis Boards (circa 2007?)

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? No, I don't think they existed back in 2000.

5) Why do you participate in the FE? I participated when it was a fun little thing to do among friends who had gotten to know each other well in our Dis cruise meet group.

6) Did you make or buy your FE? A crafty Diser in our group made them for us.

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Ordered them (candy bars) with our cruise group designed logo on the wrapper

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) Don't remember, but probably $2.00-3.00 per person.

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? I did the same gift, candy bars, both times I participated

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? ABSOLUTELY! I haven't participated since 2009. I have no interest in the current form.

From our TA.

Yes.

We do not actually - it is fun, but we found we tossed many of the things we were getting which is rude and wasteful. Now we just pixie dust others.

Bought it.

We did a combo.

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts)
I'd guess it was a few dollars per. $3-5.

No, we did it different both times.

Absolutely! We have 11 times. ;)

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much! The more responses, the better the data, so keep it coming everyone :flower1:

For those of you that do not participate, your information is equally as important and I appreciate the N/A responses to the other questions.

This paper is due by May 5th, so there is still time for more answers!

You guys are rock stars, seriously, thank you so much ❤️

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 10

2) How many times did you participate in the FE? 0

3) How did you find out about the FE? DisBoards

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? no, sometime before 2nd

5) Why do you participate in the FE? n/a

6) Did you make or buy your FE? n/a

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? n/a

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) n/a

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? n/a

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? yes

Best of luck with your paper :)

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? - 14

2)
How many times did you participate in the FE? - 1

3)
How did you find out about the FE? - Disboards

4)
Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? - No

5)
Why do you participate in the FE? - Sounded fun at the time so we tried it once (2nd or 3rd cruise) but when we did we found it was too much work so we stopped at one...we're super lazy when it comes to vacations - we're the type of ppl that do our bags the night before or even the day of travel.

6)
Did you make or buy your FE? - Bought

7)
Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? - Bought

8)
How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) - $3-$5/ea

9)
Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? - Candy bars

10)
Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? - Yes

Any chance you can share an abstract or the paper itself when you're done?
I love reading academic papers on topics that interest me (I've read academic papers on hair metal, heavy metal, certain authors and scientists that I like etc - I'd be super curious to read a paper on DCL, a topic that I like)

There are no wrong answers or judgements for these questions, simply gathering data 🙂

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 9 times

2) How many times did you participate in the FE? maybe 4 or 5

3) How did you find out about the FE? here on Disboards

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? yes

5) Why do you participate in the FE? fun way to spread some additional disney magic/pixie dust. mainly for children.

6) Did you make or buy your FE? Handmade and bought certain items to include within

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Combo

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) Hate to really think. I really don't know.

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? No. Sort of what I feel like doing

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Yes. Haven't been participating lately. Just make some little things and distribute in people's FE hanging on their door if I see they have kids, etc.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 12

2) How many times did you participate in the FE? 3 or 4

3) How did you find out about the FE? DISboards

4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? No

5) Why do you participate in the FE? It was fun

6) Did you make or buy your FE? Make

7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Combo, some handmade, some purchased

8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) Can't say, didn't keep track of that

9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? Everytime it was different stuff

10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Yes.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? 8

2)
How many times did you participate in the FE? 7

3)
How did you find out about the FE? Disboards

4)
Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? Disboards

5)
Why do you participate in the FE? Enjoy making items and giving gifts. It’s also nice to receive but not primary reason to participate.

6)
Did you make or buy your FE? Make

7)
Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? Both

8)
How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) $100’s approx $5-$20 each person. Some people are easy to get inexpensively and others cost $20 to get them something more specific for an unusual character.

9)
Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? I was able to Make laundry baskets that I personalized with the Disney logo. Now I have a glass Christmas ornament that I hand paint. I also embroider things with peoples names on Disney items.

10)
Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? Yes, but I would find the return back to the room less fun.

1) How many times have you cruised DCL? - 16
2) How many times did you participate in the FE? - 1
3) How did you find out about the FE? - DIS boards
4) Did you find out about the FE before your first DCL cruise? - no, our 8th
5) Why do you participate in the FE? - thought it would be fun
6) Did you make or buy your FE? - made it
7) Do you make, buy, or a combo of both for the gifts you give in the FE? - a bit of both
8) How much do you spend on the FE gifts you give? (Include materials if you make your gifts) - about $10 per person
9) Are there certain items you gift every time you participate in a FE? - no
10) Would you sail a Disney cruise if you couldn't participate in the FE? - yes, have been on 8 without doing it since the one time.

TWO

TWO

Disboards

Yes!

Fun for my kids

Bought on Etsy

Combo

1-2 per person

no

yes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter