WWYD concerning commercial vehicle parked next door

20 minutes because it's cold I'm guessing. Too long is all I know!

No, I don't believe so.

This family moved in at the end of August so I have been bothered for six months now. Was just figuring it was allowed. Our HOA guidelines do not address this. They are not who I would ask to take care of this. These people are not friendly and rarely come outside. I'm not sure if I'm worried about upseting them or not. I mean, they really aren't supposed to be bringing that work truck home. I am really wondering what they did before because I'm pretty sure he has done this kind of work for a while (large farm equipment mechanic, I think). They also just got two pit bull chow puppies that like to bark. I'm kind of in new neighbor hell a little.

So our HOA is similar. If it's a county regulation, then the HOA won't put it in the bylaws and if there is a violation to the county regulations, the HOA will refer you to contact the county. In my county, it is allowed to have "work trucks" parked in a residential street, so our HOA doesn't allow it. In your case, it's the opposite. For instance, if we have cars parked on the street with expired tags, the HOA doesn't enforce it, they just tell you to go to the county. You can report that online and it's fairly anonymous.

My neighbor has a very loud new truck, not commercial, it’s his personal vehicle. It’s “supposed to be” loud (I know nothing about trucks) and he starts it every day at 6:45 to go to work. I now get up most days at 6:45, unless I have a window a/c unit running in the summer.

If you have an HOA I can't believe it's gone on for any length of time.

The HOA president lives across the street from us. He probably thinks it is funny because he allowed his buddy that was moving out to put a paved "driveway" in for the new owner (for this big truck, apparently) that covers 70% of a shared parking easement.

Well, you asked and I am of a much different mindset than most of this forum.

I would mind my own business. I am not so fragile that a vehicle outside at such a late hour of 7 am would bother me. I wouldn't even hear it.

Now early in the morning is different. I have a motorcycle, it's quite loud. I would love to ride it to work every day. But as I would be firing it up at 5:30 in the morning, not once but twice because I have to pull it out of a shed, shut it down in the sloped driveway so it doesn't move, close up the shed and gear up then fire it up again and rumble out, I don't ride it to work out of respect of those in close quarters to me.

The HOA president lives across the street from us. He probably thinks it is funny because he allowed his buddy that was moving out to put a paved "driveway" in for the new owner (for this big truck, apparently) that covers 70% of a shared parking easement.

he may have let his buddy do that but i wonder if the local municipality issued the proper permits? also-it's not uncommon for utilities to have easements in areas of ingress and egress on private property and they frequently do not permit paving (esp. if there are underground water or other utility lines). i have easements on other people's property-if they block me in any way, shape or form (as in putting in a parking slab that precludes my full and legal use of the easement property it's illegal and actionable). the new owner may have to rip up the entire thing.

having dealt w/nasty and retaliatory neighbors who felt they were above the law and could do whatever they wanted despite it being illegal, annoying and lowering adjacent property values i would contact the local municipality and find out how a complaint could be filed or if you can just report it (ideally anonymously based on my experiences).

So your HOA is the personal fiefdom of a self serving donkey. That leaves you with one arena to fight in.

Spring is coming I wouldn't hesitate or dither. I'd also be stealthy about it.

I am not so fragile that a vehicle outside at such a late hour of 7 am would bother me. I wouldn't even hear it.

Now early in the morning is different.

LOL! Your definition only works if you get to decide what people's work or sleep hours are. Many of us would probably consider you "fragile" because you apparently go to bed pretty early!

We have a neighbor who is neurotic about lawncare. He's an old retired guy and that's just what he does. He pays for lawnmowing service and half an hour after they mow his lawn he's out there mowing it himself. Today he spent 3 hours (yup that long) leaf blowing..and I watched him leaf blow the woods.. It's still winter here so not sure why he's all leaf blowing machine. I was trying to take a nap as I hadn't slept well last night, unfortunately I just heard the on and off of the leaf blower which is one of my more annoying things to hear (well lawncare equipment in general). We know from other neighbors he turns people into the HOA in a hot second so it's not exactly someone who is all that approachable. He's also not really breaking any rules either but it sure is lack of consideration for those around him.

OP ideally I would say talk to the neighbor first but I do understand what another poster mentioned about bad blood. Based on your later comments the HOA may not be as good of an option to go to if favoritism is already apparent. I probably would go with the city first.

Ahhh...love living on a farm in the country.

come on now-there's some bad neighbors in the country as well and it can be even more difficult to deal with them when they are doing something detrimental as well as illegal that impacts another property owner.

We have C.C.&R's, but no HOA, so no enforcement mechanism. If you have an HOA and C.C&R's, I would turn to them. Our were written in 1975-76, a different time. Number one on the list of prohibited activities, ANY work from home. I am among the large number of people currently violating that rule. I wonder how your C.C.&R's define "commercial vehicle"

come on now-there's some bad neighbors in the country as well and it can be even more difficult to deal with them when they are doing something detrimental as well as illegal that impacts another property owner.

I'm sure there are.

Yes, I have 14 acres in the country but because of my cousins who live in the compound next to us, I’ll never build a house there. They don’t understand boundaries.

I'd talk to the neighbor and see if he could put the truck somewhere else to warm it up. It sounds like that's the whole reason for the problem, not the fact that it has a company logo on it, so why not try dealing with that first?

20 minutes because it's cold I'm guessing. Too long is all I know!

I would look up city ordinances or laws on vehicle idling and see what it says. In our city, you can get ticketed for idling more than 5 mins. There are obviously exceptions at traffic lights, and drive thrus. Then make a copy of the law and drop it off by their door.

Your house must be really close to your neighbors. That’s why my house is not close to the neighbors. But my second home in the future the houses are very close so I understand.

There isn't an easy solution but I agree with trying to talk to the neighbor and get his point of view first. Maybe it is only temporary. Or maybe together you can find a better solution. Reporting it to the HOA or the city is not going to be taken well and could open the door to so much ugliness.

I would venture a guess that if the HOA doesn't have information on it, you should call your local municipality, and inquire at the least about local noise ordinances, which could be on your side possibly.

Are your houses super close together? Where I live the sounds of gunfire, summer and fall farm machinery as late as 1 or 2am, winter snow blowers as early as 5:30am, and people warming up diesel trucks are average occurences. I assume everything must be fairly close to hear the sound that loud -- in which case I think you'd have a good case with noise ordinances, maybe moreso than the size/type of the truck?

Ahhh...love living on a farm in the country.

They put a development in next to our farm :sad1:

They don't like it if we move a fence or disturb their view of OUR fields...but boy do they like us when it snows and they see we have a loader!
Of course, they also complain when my son backs the low boy down our driveway with the loader on it.
And they hate the fact that we have a dumpster at the end of our drive and every Thursday morning at about 4:45 AM the trash truck comes to pick it up and dump it creating a hell of a racket!
No one seems to realize they bought a house near or next to a working farm that was established before they put the development in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter