WWYD? Neighbor smoking weed

Well, only recreational is illegal in Illinois, medical marijuana is legal. So what would you do when you confront him and he shows you his medical card. (PS, anyone can get one for $300, so he probably has one.)

So? If the adult kid thinks it's for "medical use" (don't even get me started on that), more power to him. When the smoke starts drifting into someone else's property, now it's an issue. Even if he whips out a card, I'd still be clear in my expectations that they keep the smoke confined to their house.

It's easy to close a window.
Taking the risk of long term unpleasant neighbor disputes/difficulties is not something I would do lightly. I'd control what I can control first.

If having a pleasant relationship with a neighbor you don't even really know is more important to you than exposing a child to marijuana smoke, then that's your decision. I wouldn't make the same choice.

If having a pleasant relationship is more important to you than exposing a child to marijuana smoke, then that's your decision. I wouldn't make the same choice.
Oh my. That's quite a statement.
I'd close the window, immediately. I'm pretty sure I've made that point clear.

So? If the adult kid thinks it's for "medical use" (don't even get me started on that), more power to him. When the smoke starts drifting into someone else's property, now it's an issue. Even if he whips out a card, I'd still be clear in my expectations that they keep the smoke confined to their house.

and if it were me, I'd be clear in my expectation to tell you to 1) take a hike and 2) shut your window. Its legal for me.

I completely don't understand the "mind your business" stuff. If it's going into DDs room, it's now your business.

I'd discuss with the neighbor and be clear about your concerns. If still not addressed, next step is law enforcement. Done. If the neighbor gets mad, oh well.
Personally I wouldn’t want to stir up trouble. You just never know these days what people will do if they decide to retaliate. Not worth it. Much easier to mind my own business and either keep the window closed or use a fan. Too many crazy nuts out there.

Is the garage door open when he does this? I assume so because I cant imagine how it would pass through garage walls and over to your house and through a window.

I wouldn't mention weed as that could sound accusatory. But I think it is fine to say hey neighbor, would you mind closing your garage when you smoke bc my daughter has let me know that smoke blows into her room. Thank you so so much!!!!

and if it were me, I'd be clear in my expectation to tell you to 1) take a hike and 2) shut your window. Its legal for me.

Wow.

I guess I should be glad I have the neighbors that I do. Weed issue or not, I can't imagine either one of them saying either one of those things to me, and I would certainly be kind to them as we talked!

Last edited:
Is the garage door open when he does this? I assume so because I cant imagine how it would pass through garage walls and over to your house and through a window.

I wouldn't mention weed as that could sound accusatory. But I think it is fine to say hey neighbor, would you mind closing your garage when you smoke bc my daughter has let me know that smoke blows into her room. Thank you so so much!!!!

I *think* they also do it when they are sitting around their firepit (they meaning the son and his friends), and that's when it comes in, or the garage door might be open. I can ask DD to check next time she smells it. I like your ideas. Thanks

I completely don't understand the "mind your business" stuff. If it's going into DDs room, it's now your business.

I'd discuss with the neighbor and be clear about your concerns. If still not addressed, next step is law enforcement. Done. If the neighbor gets mad, oh well.

I'm not so sure I'd discuss it. Because if they don't do anything about it, well they're going to believe you called the law because you're the one that complained. I think I might just call the law if it's still illegal in your state.

Wow.

I guess I should be glad I have the neighbors that I do. Weed issue or not, I can't imagine either one of them saying either one of those things to me, and I would certainly be kind to them as we talked!

You sound like a lovely person.

I am a lovely person and FTR, I don"t even smoke pot. When I have parties in the yard, I invite the neighbors (and they come) and if they can't make it, I drop off a plate of catered food.

But, what I can tell you is that I'm not going to have someone with an irrational request tell me that I can't smoke my legal weed in my yard. IMO its ridiculous to thinkt that a contact high is happening, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I'm simply not the "I want to speak to the manager" type of gal. Shut the window and live peacefully. A bad neighbor can make your life miserable.

I would say no matter how nicely you put it when you talk to your neighbor there is a very good chance that your neighbor will immediately be on the defensive. People don't like being told what to do (even if you think you are asking nicely I imagine the neighbor will probably see it as more confrontational) and I think this is especially true when talking to someone that you admittedly don't know very well.

I agree with the other posters that it is much easier to close the window and use a fan. If you feel you have to speak to the neighbor about it, definitely prepare yourself for this to become a bigger thing.

Well, only recreational is illegal in Illinois, medical marijuana is legal. So what would you do when you confront him and he shows you his medical card. (PS, anyone can get one for $300, so he probably has one.)

This has absolutely nothing do do with whether it's legal or not. ????

I do understand the mind your own business attitude, but I also understand the OPs point of view.

Is it worth jeopardizing that friendly relationship? Because it might... If you don’t care then I’d say mention it. If you want to keep the relationship as it is(considering you’ve said you’re not exactly friends), then I would just deal with it.

635535880936820585.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter