Yep, Another Transportation Question

Sparrow'sLady

Mouseketeer
I know people ask these questions all of the time. I read other posts. My brain is wired to "get it" for my specific need. Sorry for the repeat.

I have not been responsible for transportation since Magical Express was killed. I went earlier this year as part of a VERY LARGE family group and somebody else paid for a bunch of cabs.

We are flying into MCO and will be going to AKV Kidani. We are a party of 2.

We are looking for the least expensive option, but also do not want to be on a bus for 60 - 120 minutes. I do not mind paying a little extra for convenience, but a town car or dedicated ride is more than I want to spend for just a car ride. I would rather spend the extra on parties, food and fun.

Do both Uber and Lyft pick-up at MCO? I know nothing about either of these services. Are they a flat rate or are they like a cab where they charge based upon how long you are in their vehicle?

Which option is best between a cab, Mears, Lyft and Uber, when you balance between a short trip and saving some money? (I understand tipping is additional and customary :) )

Do both Uber and Lyft pick-up at MCO? I know nothing about either of these services. Are they a flat rate or are they like a cab where they charge based upon how long you are in their vehicle?
Both Uber and Lyft pickup at MCO. You can see the price of a typical trip if you do a simulated booking at the time of day you expect to arrive. Enter the airport as your starting point and your resort as the destination. Check both Uber and Lyft, although the price will probably be similar.

I'd check out YouTube for explainer videos of how Uber/Lyft work.

Which option is best between a cab, Mears, Lyft and Uber, when you balance between a short trip and saving some money? (I understand tipping is additional and customary :) )
Mears should be the lower price. BUT, you'll be on a bus and have a chance of stopping at other resorts.

Uber/Lyft would be the next expensive, followed by Cab. However, all of these will take you direct to your resort. The extra money will vary based on time of day and other factors.

Which is "best" will vary based on individual.

Uber/Lyft would be the next expensive, followed by Cab. However, all of these will take you direct to your resort. The extra money will vary based on time of day and other factors.
Isn't that dependent on Uber/Lyft not having "Surge Pricing" in effect? It could be less, it could be more than a Mears Cab. I think for many people the cab is a forgotten option. It will be quicker than an Uber/Lyft and the pricing is much more consistent.

Mears is hit or miss; I have had 3 great experiences with 2 or less stops each way but my dd has now had 2 awful experiences with a combo of "onsite" an "offsite" hotel stops.

I travel fairly often, and use rideshare vs cab - I like that you know the price of your trip when you book and then tip right in the app. I have never had an issue getting a ride from MCO and you will know in advance if you're looking at a "surge" time. I check both Lyft and Uber and choose the option that works best for each trip.

The last two times I used a cab in WDW they definitely (and one admittedly) took the long way thinking I did not know my way around the area. Almost doubled the fare - definitely not cheaper and imho no real way to avoid this from happening once you are in the cab.

Last edited:
I have never encountered surge pricing with Lyft or Uber to/from MCO, but I usually arrive mid-morning and go back to the airport mid-afternoon.

Now, when we get back to DCA a cab is about the same price (or less) than waiting on a rideshare home. It’s a short 10 minute trip.

I have never encountered surge pricing with Lyft or Uber to/from MCO, but I usually arrive mid-morning and go back to the airport mid-afternoon.

Now, when we get back to DCA a cab is about the same price (or less) than waiting on a rideshare home. It’s a short 10 minute trip.

I have also never encountered surge pricing - even on Christmas eve when my daughter needed a last-minute ride from her Anaheim apt to our Disney resort.

For two people going to AK, I would definitely recommend Uber or Lyft. They pick up right outside of baggage claim at MCO, only cost a little bit more than the bus that can take 2 hours, and will be quick and comfortable. Even rideshare surge pricing is cheaper than private cars in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter