Yonder comes the train!

ThurlFan

Grim Ghost
The Union Pacific #844, last steam engine ever built for that rail company, rolled through town today. Went out yesterday morning and scouted out a location to take pictures from, and today had beautiful weather for the event. All these photos were from a single location.

Equipment: Canon XSi with 55-250mm lens, on a monopod perched on the hood of my old car. Shot using shutter priority at 1/1000, ISO 200. I thought about a circular polarizer to add blue to the sky but I didn't get around to unpacking it.

f/5.6, focal length 250mm
crossing.jpg

f/5.6, focal length 250mm
Crew.jpg

f/6.3, focal length 79mm
train.jpg

A nice sight! I don't think I got past the fact that you are a Jayhawk. Do you live in the KC area?

Yep, I actually live in Lawrence. These pictures were taken just northeast of town as the train headed for Union Station in KC, where it will be open to the public tomorrow.

Yep, I actually live in Lawrence. These pictures were taken just northeast of town as the train headed for Union Station in KC, where it will be open to the public tomorrow.

Well, I'll try not to hold it against you.... :rolleyes1 It would be cool to get down there and see it, but doubt I'll have time. Your shots are nice to see though!

Forgot to add that I cloned out a Toyota that was parked on the side of the road in the first shot...

Nice photos, nice locomotive! We have some steam near where I live but on a slightly smaller scale:

nhvrr_9837.jpg

and the museum in Roanoke has some nice locomotives but not under steam:

1218_2435_1_2_3_per.jpg

Very nice! I am a huge railfan. Have been since I was a little boy. Love those old steam powered beasts!

As Mizzou fan I feel your pain. Thought you had a good chance of going all the way. Nice shots as well.

As Mizzou fan I feel your pain. Thought you had a good chance of going all the way. Nice shots as well.

Did I hear Mizzou fan??????? :thumbsup2 I needed some reinforcements!!! :rotfl2:

KCMike.... are you in the metro area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter