You CAN split a lockoff

The point of my statement is that I have the right to book whatever I need at the 11 month window.
I wasn't nefarious with my intentions, when I booked the lockoff it was for my brother and his wife. They subsequently found out they were having a baby and are due a week after the trip, so they couldn't go. I've spent months trying to fill it with other family, no luck. How were you "affected by my decision"? What decision? To book a room at the 11 month mark for my brother? To the contrary, by being able to cancel the room I opened up those dates for a wait list and furthered your chances. If I wasn't allowed to cancel then you or somebody else wouldn't have gotten a room that would have sat empty.

So by the tone of your post I guess you're suggesting that I should not have booked the lockoff at the 11 month window because there's a small percentage chance that my guests would cancel? I booked the lockoff because I needed it, not because I was trying to tie up a bunch of rooms in order to foil the plans of other members.

Can you please explain what decision I made that affected your plans?

My "tone" was directed toward this particular statement made by you..."So the family that is losing out on the 1br/studio didn't have home booking rights at 11 months. In other words, while I aim to be considerate, I can't worry at the 11 month window about how my decisions might affect somebody 4 months later." I was proving a point that you are absolutely incorrect in your "assumption" that your actions only effect a non-owner when in fact it effects an owner. Just pointing out that your assumption was in fact wrong not that your actions were wrong.

Anyone else with experience doing this?

I'm really torn because I know my sister would love to come along with us next year. I finally had to break down today and tell her that I have to know by November if she will be able to come or not. Here's my scenario...

We have 145 points available (all AKV, 45 are banked into 2014) and that is the exact amount that will be needed for a 2BR value for our dates. A 1BR value is 110 which would leave us 35 AKV points to bank. In 2015, we are planning to go to HHI for spring break. We'd have 100 (50 current + 50 borrowed) HHI points that I would use to secure a studio at 11 months (70 points) and then, hopefully, switch to a 1BR (135 points) at 7 months, using the HHI points + the 35 banked AKV points. This would use up ALL of our points, as planned, leaving no point wasted. I am well aware of the possibility that we may end up in a studio at HHI either way, but if we do a 2BR next year, there is NO possibility of a 1BR at HHI in 2015.

If I had the option of booking the 2BR with the ability to drop the studio portion (my sister's half) at a later date, it would be so much nicer. She could have the time she needs to verify her finances and vacation time. Her biggest obstacle is the fact that she and her DH will not be able to request their vacation time until January. She is really hesitant to commit until she is 100% sure they can get the time off. On one hand, I don't want to pressure her into a decision. On the other hand, I don't want to force her to turn down our invite, only to have her figure out later that she can go. They have a limited budget so the only way she can go is if we allow her to stay with us...which we'd love to do! Just for the record, the booking of a 2BR and changing it to a 1BR would all occur before the 7-month window opens. Since we are talking about the value category in October, I am certain that there will be no availability at 7 months...or even 10 months.

I guess there is no reason for me to get all worried about this...there are far worse problems that one could have:goodvibes.

I know some people are against the idea of allowing this
Why would anyone be against freeing up accomodation for someone else! I've done it 3 times, I come with a crew and if they aren't going to be with me at the end there's no need to take up room that could be beneficial to someone else's stay!

Anyone else with experience doing this?

I'm really torn because I know my sister would love to come along with us next year. I finally had to break down today and tell her that I have to know by November if she will be able to come or not. Here's my scenario...

We have 145 points available (all AKV, 45 are banked into 2014) and that is the exact amount that will be needed for a 2BR value for our dates. A 1BR value is 110 which would leave us 35 AKV points to bank. In 2015, we are planning to go to HHI for spring break. We'd have 100 (50 current + 50 borrowed) HHI points that I would use to secure a studio at 11 months (70 points) and then, hopefully, switch to a 1BR (135 points) at 7 months, using the HHI points + the 35 banked AKV points. This would use up ALL of our points, as planned, leaving no point wasted. I am well aware of the possibility that we may end up in a studio at HHI either way, but if we do a 2BR next year, there is NO possibility of a 1BR at HHI in 2015.

If I had the option of booking the 2BR with the ability to drop the studio portion (my sister's half) at a later date, it would be so much nicer. She could have the time she needs to verify her finances and vacation time. Her biggest obstacle is the fact that she and her DH will not be able to request their vacation time until January. She is really hesitant to commit until she is 100% sure they can get the time off. On one hand, I don't want to pressure her into a decision. On the other hand, I don't want to force her to turn down our invite, only to have her figure out later that she can go. They have a limited budget so the only way she can go is if we allow her to stay with us...which we'd love to do! Just for the record, the booking of a 2BR and changing it to a 1BR would all occur before the 7-month window opens. Since we are talking about the value category in October, I am certain that there will be no availability at 7 months...or even 10 months.

I guess there is no reason for me to get all worried about this...there are far worse problems that one could have:goodvibes.
There's no way you'll be able to know for certain. You'll just have to make your reservation and hope for the best. It's very possible you may make the reservation and NOT be allowed to make such a change. Given the points differences you'd likely be better off keeping the value 2 BR than changing to a 1 BR Savannah, at least from a cost standpoint. Remember the value only sleeps 8 plus one under 3.

Why would anyone be against freeing up accomodation for someone else! I've done it 3 times, I come with a crew and if they aren't going to be with me at the end there's no need to take up room that could be beneficial to someone else's stay!
I can't speak for others but I'm personally against it for several reasons. One is that I feel EVERY change should be a cancelation and rebooking. Second is while it might free up a room, it might be a room that's not used at all or goes to breakage. Third (and related to #2), it gives the member back points they can use later that I feel they should not get back UNLESS they can cancel and rebook. Lastly, while it frees up a room, it might have robbed an owner at a given resort of a home resort booking option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter