Your experiences, pro & con of DDP vs. DDE..

We also have used both on a split trip, and I totally agree that the TS meals are a wash and the snacks and QS are "free", but the problem for us is that we really don't WANT to use the QS credits, and since the signatures cost two TS credits, it doesn't necessarily make sense for us.

Actually, I say that because the advent of the Dining Plan is when they started to make all the menu changes. If it isn't caused by the dining Plan, then why did they happen at the same time?:confused3

I hear you about QS. We tend to pay OOP for signature meals although this trip I think we will do one signature meal using the DDP. One other will probably be OOP and at least one other will be while we're not at BCV.

Menu change all the time at WDW. They did before this DDP and continue to do so. Some change on a nightly basis.

We've only dined at Olivia's a handful of times. The changes there seem to have really struck a bad not with OKW regulars. Perhaps those changes were a result of the DDP but it seems more likely to me that it was a change in management at that restaurant which was reported on the DIS. Also some of the changes seem to have removed particularily unhealthy choices. WDW certainly seems to be headed in that direction but again DDP probably has nothing to do with that.

As for all the menus being the same, it just isn't the case at the restaurants we frequent.:confused3 The menus aren't remotely similar.

when we golf using our dvc discount and cant tee off until 10:00 am we miss out on the QS and end up going out early for dinner using the TS. It would be great if the beverage cart on the golf course would except the QS when we get a sandwich from the cart. The golf course restaraunt only excepts TS, and you just cant stop half way in your game to run for a sit down table service :rotfl: needless to say we end up with QS left and bringing the sandwiches
thru security at the airport :lmao: you should have see the security, wanting our desserts, and not because of a sercurity problem.:goodvibes

I hear you about QS. We tend to pay OOP for signature meals although this trip I think we will do one signature meal using the DDP. One other will probably be OOP and at least one other will be while we're not at BCV.

Menu change all the time at WDW. They did before this DDP and continue to do so. Some change on a nightly basis.

We've only dined at Olivia's a handful of times. The changes there seem to have really struck a bad not with OKW regulars. Perhaps those changes were a result of the DDP but it seems more likely to me that it was a change in management at that restaurant which was reported on the DIS. Also some of the changes seem to have removed particularily unhealthy choices. WDW certainly seems to be headed in that direction but again DDP probably has nothing to do with that.

As for all the menus being the same, it just isn't the case at the restaurants we frequent.:confused3 The menus aren't remotely similar.

I think there are a lot of items that are "standardized" should we say? You can get the same dessert at several of the Epcot TS places. That would not have been heard of before. All that being said, we do still enjoy most WDW TS eateries. I like that the chef will make special accommodations for those of us with food allergies.

Definately the DDE. More freedom to choose Where, What and When you want to eat out. The big plus for us is that it includes alcohol.;) On our last trip a few weeks ago, DH and I went to Fulton's without the kids for our anniversary. Between the bottle of wine and the King Crab Claws (YUM!) the DDE paid for itself in that one night!

How many DVCers would use a DDP if it included 2TS/night? We'd be there in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable.

You can buy DDE is you have an annual pass. It costs 60$ (I'm pretty sure) and only one member of your party needs to purchase it. You get 20% off food and drinks, including alcohol at most restaraunts and fast food places on Disney property.

It's $65 now and a second card is $25 for a spouse.

And actually it is not good at many counter service restaurants. Just some at AK as there is no full service restaurant there and at foodcourts of the values and POFQ.

How many DVCers would use a DDP if it included 2TS/night? We'd be there in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable.
I think the price would be too high if it was two TS credits for each night (I think I read somewhere that Disney values a TS at about $22 -- don't know if that's accurate). If $22 is right, you'd be looking at $60+ per night for DDP.

It might be feasible for them to offer extra TS credits for purchase, though. In fact, it might be good marketing on their part. I wouldn't want 2 per night, but I might buy one or two extra credits per trip if that were possible.

We leave tomorrow, and we're doing one 2-TS meal (California Grill) and will be doing a "heavy" CS tomorrow night to save the necessary credits.

I think the price would be too high if it was two TS credits for each night (I think I read somewhere that Disney values a TS at about $22 -- don't know if that's accurate). If $22 is right, you'd be looking at $60+ per night for DDP.

It might be feasible for them to offer extra TS credits for purchase, though. In fact, it might be good marketing on their part. I wouldn't want 2 per night, but I might buy one or two extra credits per trip if that were possible.

We leave tomorrow, and we're doing one 2-TS meal (California Grill) and will be doing a "heavy" CS tomorrow night to save the necessary credits.

I should have been clearer. I meant two TS and no QS per night. Our family would probably do a lunch and dinner some days and signature dinner on others. Maybe a character breakfast one day and dinner that night. We're just not fans of the whole counter service experience even though there are so many more options these days.

Have a great trip and happy DDP dining!

While planning ADRs for our next trip I calculated what we would spend for food each day, including tax and tip. It came out to less than $39 per person per day (not including alcohol) so we're sticking with DDE.

Can the DDE card be used for Mickey's Backyard BBQ and/ or the Hoop Dee Doo?

Hoop Dee Doo is listed, but I don't see Mickey's BBQ on the list.

We have used the DDP 3 times and while we really like the knowledge of knowing exactly how much our food is going to cost, I don't think we will do it again on our next trip. We will once again order the DDE.

As for the standardization of the menus, whereas the menu items are not identical, I did find that the steak of choice has now become the sirloin at most restaurants. They may use a different sauce, but the cut is the same. If I saw one more menu with crab cakes and onion rings as the apps, I was going to scream!

We really felt the quality had slipped or maybe the restaurants we chose weren't indicative of total quality, I don't know, but I don't think we will be using the DDP in February. Especially since each of the kids is bringing a guest, so we will be paying for 6, not 4.

disneyeveryyears, there do seem to be a lot of crabcakes out there.:laughing: Lots of salmon, too but I'm glad to see that as one son adores salmon and most in my family really enjoy it if its good.

But our reservations for next trip include Rose & Crown, Chefs, the Plaza, Raglan Road, Mama Melrose, Brown Derby, Yachtsman's, RFC, Spoodles, Kona Cafe, GF Cafe, Narcoossee's, and California Grill. There is so much variety in those menus in my opinion.

I'm going to watch for that sirloin. I haven't noticed that although I don't order steak too often. I have seen steak on menus where it was never offered before...or at least I had not noticed it.

It's the Disney Dining Experience for us. We tried the dining plan once and felt like our entire trip revolved around eating. We felt like the dining plan controlled us. We feel like we control eating with the DDE. Plus we do like eating off site. Yum
J

We use the DDE. DDP is ruining WDW dining, and therefore 1)I refuse to participate and contribute to the downslide and 2) there's not enough really great places to eat anymore now that the DDP has stripped the unique items of the menus.

So we eat in our villa, and we cherry pick a few meals and use the DDE on it. We don't spend any more than we would on the DDP, ususally quite a bit less, and we've haven't stuffed ourselved to the gills with low quality food on the DDP.

We remember when WDW used to be FANTASTIC!

AMEN!! Totally agree with this. We just returned, and just since last October the food has really gone downhill. I am hesitant to recommend any dining to friends going to WDW. I still love going, and eating, but there is a noticeable change.

AMEN!! Totally agree with this. We just returned, and just since last October the food has really gone downhill. I am hesitant to recommend any dining to friends going to WDW. I still love going, and eating, but there is a noticeable change.

If you noticed a great turndown in quality since 10/06 why do you attribute it to the DDP. This particular DDP had been in effect for over 21 months by last October.:confused3

Thanks everybody for your opinions....we have been discussing this at length
and came to the conclusion that DDE makes sense for us...thanks :goodvibes

I have done both and prefer DDE. We just did the DDP and ate too much, I literally felt compelled to eat. We had planned to do the DDP for our upcoming trip and trying to pick out TS almost made me break out in hives. We will be doing a few TS, a few off site places and some in room food.

We are doing DDP in January with DP and DB and family just because it is easier but plan to do DDE any other time.

I agree. We dont like to eat out all the time, even on vacation. Too darn many calories in restaurant food to eat three times a day, every day. We eat breakfast in every day, and three out of seven dinners are in. DDE is more suited to our needs. But with so many on DDP it is harder for us to eat on-site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter