Your favorite thing to do at HHI?

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
We've been DVC owners for about 5 years now and have yet to venture out of the World into the real world with our points- BUT....... I think it's time!

I've been looking at HH and thinking we might want to visit there, so I'm wondering what your favorite things to do there are? Are they Disney provided activities or tours in near by towns?? ANYTHING you love to do there, I want to hear!!

How about your favorite places to eat there?

When's your favorite time to go?? I don't particularly like really hot weather- maybe low 80's is good. Is it pretty humid there? I'm assuming it is.

I would just LOVE to hear your views and experiences of HH!!:flower3:

TIA!

We've been DVC owners for about 5 years now and have yet to venture out of the World into the real world with our points- BUT....... I think it's time!

I've been looking at HH and thinking we might want to visit there, so I'm wondering what your favorite things to do there are? Are they Disney provided activities or tours in near by towns?? ANYTHING you love to do there, I want to hear!!

When's your favorite time to go?? I don't particularly like really hot weather- maybe low 80's is good. Is it pretty humid there? I'm assuming it is.

I would just LOVE to hear your views and experiences of HH!!:flower3:

TIA!

We'll be at HH for the week of July 4th this year - I'm looking forward to it so much!!!

What we love about HH:

Extremely relaxing - no pressure to go anywhere, do anything, unless we want to. We love to take dolphin tours, etc. but aren't too much into any of the Disney - provided activities because my daughters are too old for them. We have spent other family vacations in Charleston and Savannah, so we usually don't factor those in, but both are reasonably close and could make a fun day trip. And the resort itself offers loads of family friendly activites for younger kids.

Beautiful villas - nice grounds, gorgeous marsh and marina views.

Lovely, calm beach - we feel much less bashed around in the waves than we normally do in a NC ocean, our usual beach vacation. We love being able to rent beach umbrellas and chairs on the beach, and not have to hassle with bringing our own.

The pools are wonderful, and we have two to choose from - the Beach House and the resort. Both fun and so nice to have a pool at the ocean if the salt water gets to be too much

Great snack bars for lunch - I can send a daughter up to the Beach House and have her bring lunch for the family back down to the beach. Great for me!!!!

And probably the best reason for me - undivided attention from my daughters - no friends, no cell phones, no texting every five muinutes - just great, great family time - lying out on the beach, sleeping in, eating where and when we want to, watching movies, reading, etc. etc. It's by far our best "family time" vacation!!!

DVCLiz You mentioned 2 pools- one by the beach house and one by the resorts. Are there 2 different places you can stay at HH??

You mentioned dolphn tours etc. What other kind of tours can you do there and how do you book these? Dolphin tours sound so fun- do you really see a lot of them? It's just DH and I, unless we decide to invite our grown up kids. They range in age from 24-27. It might make for a fun family vacation too- what do you think?

DVCLiz You mentioned 2 pools- one by the beach house and one by the resorts. Are there 2 different places you can stay at HH??

You mentioned dolphn tours etc. What other kind of tours can you do there and how do you book these? Dolphin tours sound so fun- do you really see a lot of them? It's just DH and I, unless we decide to invite our grown up kids. They range in age from 24-27. It might make for a fun family vacation too- what do you think?

The Hilton Head Resort is actually located on the marsh at Shelter Cove, across the street from the ocean- not directly on the beachfront. Disney also owns property on the beach - just not enough for a full resort. So at the beach they have a "Beach House" - a big area with parking that also has a large pool, small water play area for toddlers, snack bar, regular "drinks" bar area, and an inside room with a TV and some tables (also air-conditioned, as is the snack bar area.) So you can visit the Beach House and use all of the facilities there - swim in the pool, have lunch, get a drink, etc. If you want the beach you walk down a set of wooden steps and you are on the beach - where you can rent umbrellas and chairs (one umbrella, two chairs included - the last time we were there I think it was about $17 a day - a small discount if you rented all week, which we did.)

To get to the Beach House from the resort, you can:

Walk - it's about a mile.

Ride your bike (either one you have brought with you or one you can rent on-site.) The bike path crosses the busy street but there is a "bypass" under the street so you don't have to dodge traffic.

Drive your own car.

Catch a shuttle van that goes back and forth between the two locations all day, or on request at off - hours, until late afternoon.

At the resort area itself, the villas are scattered all around the property, with live oaks and Spanish moss hanging from the trees - very pretty. The main Lodge has the registrationv area, and also has rooms - I think most studios are here. There is also a play area called "Big Murgie's Den" - where the staff magician/singer sometimes performs, and where you can play pool, if I remember correctly. Then there are 30 or so villa buildings - free standing, 2 or 3 story, with bigger villas - we have always stayed in a 2BR at HH and been in one of these buildings. The only drawback is - no elevator if you are on an upper floor. I hate that but solved it last time by making my children and their friend do it all. Bad mom!!!

At the resort, there is another central pool, with a snack bar and an activity area. Here is where you sign up for the resort-offered activities - campfires, kid's things, etc. I don't know how I signed up for the dolphin tour - you can do a search and see what others recommend. We loved it - we did see lots of dolphins, including a mom teaching a baby how to hunt along the shore - and it was so much fun!!! One of our best vacation memories ever.

There are also kayak tours, nature walks, etc. and another excursion to Daufuskie Island to look for shells - we may try to see about doing that this year.

It's a fabulous family vacation as long as you don't need a busy, night life kind of trip. Obviously there's a lot to do and there are lots of bars and nightlife places around - my girls aren't old enough to need that so I don't know how it will be when they are 24 and 27. Right now we mostly lie around eating all week - go to the beach when we feel like it - and otherwise watch a lot of Lifetime movies on TV - because hey! we're on vacation and we can!!!

If you golf Hilton Head is one of the best places to go - it's loaded with great golf courses. I don't golf so I don't know specifics but I do know lots of people plan golfing vacations there.

As far as time, since you will have to make a reservation at the 7 month mark (I'm assuming you are not a HH owner) you will find the summer to be very hot, humid and almost fully bookded. You probably will be able to get something at the 7 month mark if you are able to go in the "shoulder" season -late April/May or late August/September. Still lovely weather but not as hot and humid as July and August, and not as crowded once school is back in session.

April is an awesome time for Hilton Head. Our fav thing to do is the beach, walking the beach, or just hanging out there for the day. It's so relaxing and the dolphins and pelicans are so cool to watch (don't see them in LI).

We like to eat at Guiseppe's - good italian food. I like to shop in Shelter Cove, and we like to spend a day at Harbortown. My son likes to play golf at least once, and there are history tours/dolphin tours/fishing/biking right from the resort.

It took us 7 years before we left WDW and ventured out to HH. We LOVE it and can't wait to return. Savannah is only a 45 minute ride, so that's an option for a day tour. We usually drive, next time we will stop in Charleston again on our way home and spend a day or two there as well (it's about 2 hours away)

Happy planning - you will love it.

Thank you both so much for all that info!!!

DVCLiz You're the best! I know atht took alot of time to type up, but it gave me such a complete view of what I might expect. I'm actually getting even mor escited abut it now.

Diane SO- you can appreciate the hesitance in our going there! I appreciate the act that you said it took you 7 years to get there- and that you love it and we would too. I think you're probably right.

April sounds like it'd probably be the best time for us down there. We can vacation any time- and like I said earlier, I don't like humidity!

Anyone else have any thoughts on HH???

The Hilton Head Resort is actually located on the marsh at Shelter Cove, across the street from the ocean- not directly on the beachfront. Disney also owns property on the beach - just not enough for a full resort.

How far is the beach from the resort? What is on the beach in front of the resort?

Steve

How far is the beach from the resort? What is on the beach in front of the resort?

Steve

The resort itself is located on an island at Shelter Cove, so technically the body of water is the IntraCoastal waterway or something similar, not the ocean. You have a lovely view of marsh grasses and water at high tide, which reveals a mudflat at low tide - there's a pier you can walk out on and crab from, and occasionally you can spot dolphins out in the water - there's a big native population in the harbor that swim up to our end of the waterway.

The "beach" proper - ie the Atlantic Ocean, is across a busy street (which can't really be seen or heard from the resort itself, so don't worry about noise at all.) If you are walking or biking, I've heard it's about a mile. I always either drive my own car or take the resort shuttle - simple and easy to do.

We've been to HH three or four times in early October and I think that's a great time of the year to go. The island isn't too crowded and the weather is still quite nice. We've never had trouble getting a villa (2BR or 1BR) during that time frame at the 7 month mark.

We enjoy eating at the Old Oyster Factory. It's a 10 minute drive from the resort. There are so many great places to eat on the island and we LOVE to eat! Our kids enjoy HH nearly as much as WDW. We ride bikes, play mini-golf, swim, walk the beach and do a few resort activities. I think what we like the most about HH is that it's always a relaxing trip. Usually after WDW, I feel like I need another vacation, but HH is not that fast paced and always a good time.

The "beach" proper - ie the Atlantic Ocean, is across a busy street

Also note that if you walk or ride a bike to the beach, you do not have to cross that busy street. There is a bike/walking path that goes under that road.

In addition to the Old Oyster Factory, we like the Crazy Crab on the north end of the Island; Old Fort Pub especially at sunset; CQs in Sea Pines; San Miquel's in Shelter Cove; Marley's near the entrance to Sea Pines; and Red Fish which also has a good wine list.

My favorite times to go are mid-late October and early April. The horrible humidity isn't much of a factor at those times, but the weather is still warm. :cool2:

In addition to the Old Oyster Factory, we like the Crazy Crab on the north end of the Island; Old Fort Pub especially at sunset; CQs in Sea Pines; San Miquel's in Shelter Cove; Marley's near the entrance to Sea Pines; and Red Fish which also has a good wine list.

My favorite times to go are mid-late October and early April. The horrible humidity isn't much of a factor at those times, but the weather is still warm. :cool2:

How is first week of Nov? Is it still warm enough to swim in the ocean/pool?

How is first week of Nov? Is it still warm enough to swim in the ocean/pool?

Generally, it's still pretty nice. We are almost always on HHI around November 1. A lot of people spend Thanksgiving there. It's usually cooled off by that time but is still warm enough for golf, tennis, biking, etc. I believe the Disney pools are heated which would keep them bearable.

SusieBea is right -- you can swim in the pools year 'round because they're heated. Getting OUT of them is a whole 'nother story when the temps are low! ;)

I think the best time to go if you want to avoid the crowds (and be assured a room) would be late September or early October. The ocean stays warm for a while. (In the spring it may not have really warmed up yet.) Once schools start, Hilton Head (the whole island, not just the Disney resort) empties out.

Does anyone have any opinions to share about the kayak tours?? This is our first trip to HHI - just my dh and me - and we are thinking about doing one.

DH and I went to HHI for the first time this past April. We loved it. Very relaxing, weather was beautiful. Just one warning if going at this time - check when "Jersey" week is for that year. The resort was FULL and therefore rather noisy. (I guess the whole state of New Jersey and parts of New York have school break later than everyone else, and a good number of them come South!)

We tried a number of restaurants. Our favorites were Tapas ($$$, but delicious and very unusual) and Little Venice across from the resort in Shelter Cove.

HHI is so different from a typical Disney vacation, you can do as much or as little as you want. It is a lovely resort, and cast members are very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend it!

Lin

Anyone gone to HHI during Christmas break. I know it will be too cold to swim in the Ocean, but what about other activities.

We usually go to WDW for Christmas break, but we don't do the parks so I figured HHI is as good a place as any to do nothing! We loved May, will we hate it December?

Anyone gone to HHI during Christmas break. I know it will be too cold to swim in the Ocean, but what about other activities.

We usually go to WDW for Christmas break, but we don't do the parks so I figured HHI is as good a place as any to do nothing! We loved May, will we hate it December?

I'm planning a first week of Nov. 2009. Would love to know this info also!

Does anyone know of a gem mine for kids on the way back from HH to Phila? I've seen them in Franklin NC but that's pretty far out of the way.

Thanks for any input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter