YOUR intrepretation of "quiet" pool

But unfortunately, that sort of thing happens all too often--especially when there is no lifeguard. Often entire families will "hijack" a quiet pool with kids running wild, throwing footballs, frisbees, etc

Sometimes though we get lucky and the "quiet" pool is relatively quiet.

I have seen this behavior as well from kids. My kids just swim around and no running or screaming (which I haven't seen them do), as I won't leave them alone there and if I saw it they are outta there. :thumbsup2

However, there are other things that occur at quiet pools that can be a little bit disturbing. On a visit last year there were 2 elderly couples all over each other in the pool, nearly making out. I have seen younger couples as well act as if they were the only ones on the planet making VERY personal romantic behavior in the pool. I had taken my children out of the pool because the older folks were almost rated R at times, and we left.

Love makes the world go round. Yet there is behavior at any age that can be considered less than "family atmosphere". Actions can be AS loud in "quiet pool areas " as screams sometimes.

Signed,
Shocked Mother,
~DW:3dglasses

On a visit last year there were 2 elderly couples all over each other in the pool, nearly making out. I have seen younger couples as well act as if they were the only ones on the planet making VERY personal romantic behavior in the pool. I had taken my children out of the pool because the older folks were almost rated R at times, and we left.

I guess there is no fool like an old fool! I hold an active membership in that club as well, but sometimes you just gotta wonder!

I just want to say 'thank you' for your thoughtfulness.

I remember many years ago going to a 'quiet pool' at Dixie Landings. It was a beautiful day. The quiet pool was just that-quiet. Several adults sitting in the sun or floating, very peaceful.
And then came the screaming kids :scared1: .
And there went all the adults.

I know the quiet pool does not mean quiet, but don't people feel bad bringing their screaming kids to a pool that is peaceful?

sorry...but disney is a kid place, peoples kids like to swim,and the quiet pool is just the farther away from it all pool.... I try not to let my kids jump in on top of floating senior citizens;) but swimming and play time kind of go hand in hand.... why would i feel bad about my kids playing in a designated playing place on a vacation? I'd feel bad about them playing in the street and blocking traffic....:rotfl:
now hot tubs, that's another story- i don't let my kids splash or play AT ALL in them, they have to act like grownups to be in a grownup area,that's something a lot of parents just don't seem to get....

I think the term is a misnomer to begin with.

WDW doesn't call them quiet pools. In fact, the newsletter for Y&BC/BCV calls them additional pools and has the info on swim diapers in that section.
Actually Disney's literature and maps have used the term quiet pool in the past, I think some still do. But they have definitely moved away from that working for the most part.

Actually Disney's literature and maps have used the term quiet pool in the past, I think some still do. But they have definitely moved away from that working for the most part.

We're oldtimers like many others here. I don't think I ever saw the term quiet pools until I started reading the DIS. I've looked through my old "Official Guides" from the 80s ...it's not there. The current maps and newsletters I have don't use it. Someone did post an older map of the Y&BC that used that term but that's the only one I've personally seen. It is not called that by the Y&BC now.

So it may have been a term used short term by a few resorts. I imagine the name was changed due to the confusion we see on these posts.

And I do think it is a misnomer.

Problem with that Dirk is for a family like ours we are at the parks till late and when we get back the kids all want to go swimming so we hit the closest pool to our room and it is usually after 10 PM when we get there. We hit the smaller pools if we are a distance from the main pool at that time as we don't care to be trapsing all over the resort so for a family like ours designated times will not work.
Well - it was worth a shot - maybe the alternative might be an adults only period during the day, but that cuts into families taking mid-day breaks.

At the end of the day, either Disney needs to create an adults only pool that doesn't take away for kids, or adults need to accept that kids will be around at most Disney locations.

The real task is encouraging parents to be more vigilants supervisors of their children's behavior and to learn the importance of being considerate of others.

Like your family, we often swam late at night on vacation, and my father made it clear that we were always to be considerate of others. (This is definitely not directed at you - just a general comment.)

Dirk

Well - it was worth a shot - maybe the alternative might be an adults only period during the day, but that cuts into families taking mid-day breaks.

At the end of the day, either Disney needs to create an adults only pool that doesn't take away for kids, or adults need to accept that kids will be around at most Disney locations.

The real task is encouraging parents to be more vigilants supervisors of their children's behavior and to learn the importance of being considerate of others.

Like your family, we often swam late at night on vacation, and my father made it clear that we were always to be considerate of others. (This is definitely not directed at you - just a general comment.)

Dirk

No problem Dirk and your parents are to be commended as many parents now just don't seem to care. our kids have rules if they start to get loud and obnoxious they lose swimming privleges and sit on the chairs. If it continues they go to the room and sit there.

I never had any expectation of quiet at any pool except the Adults only pool on DCL or at Serenity Bay.

My YC&BC/BCV Resort map refers to the 2 "quiet pools" as "VILLA POOL" and "BEACH POOL". I received this map when we checked into BCV in Dec 2006. Disney has not referred to them as quiet pools in several years. It is not a reasonable expecatation and they cannot deliver that. In the POS, if BCV were ever sold, the only pool BCV members are guaranteed access to is the Villa Pool as it is part of the BCV. The same with VWL.

I do not allow my boys to conduct themselves in an unruly manner anywhere, but if you expect me to shush them because of a different interpretation than you will be DISappointed.

We spend most of our time at the smaller pools, they like to swim and the smaller pools have more room for swimming.

This reminds me of the post where someone was at the new pool at SSR and the lady complained that her child was spraying water her way. :confused3 Please do not sit by the spray fountains if you do not want to be sprayed.

We stayed at Mandalay Bay last spring in Vegas. That pool was overrun with kids! They do have a private pool area that costs extra and is topless:scared1: I did not expect to see all those kids in Vegas, but I do expect children in Disney.

I frequently use the quiet pool near Community hall at BWV. And have since my boys were very, very small. I will say there have been many times where people have made comments about it being a place to nap or relax.

I do tend to say to the boys to chill out in this area becuase it is quieter. Saying things like don't splash the lady. or don't jump near the guy. I keep them alot more under check in an attempt to be respectful. Not because I feel thats the policey but.. rather because alot of people go there to get some quiet.
I will however admit that last May, we had made a craft and then went swimming and an older gentleman was very, very vocal that they should not be in the pool. as he was trying to nap. this before we had even entered the water. he continually complained as the boys got ready "Bubbles etc.." After 5 minutes or so. I admit to saying. " If you want to take a nap go up to your room and lie in bed" He said no thats what quiet pools are for" I said No actually it means lack of a lifeguard or theme" he said well they better not splash. I said them you had better move back Pools + water sometimes + splashing. My boys are being respectful you are not. He kept going.. i finnally said .
" you know I am A Boston girl this could go on all day" Have they bothered you once???? and you have spent 10 minutes complaining when you could be napping? He shut up.. and moved his chair back a little and that was that.

Dirk

Excellent Post Dirk! :goodvibes

As one who enjoys her lounging with reading at quiet pools, I think a compromise would be ideal. I sit and read and not make out with Mr Roz, and parents keep their children accountable to their behavior. :thumbsup2 It's a win-win for everybody.

I guess we are with the majority here. Quiet pool means no lifeguard, closer to our room and less growded and noisey than the main themed pool. We take our grandkids now and maintain a tight hold on them to not let them get too rowdy but it is a pool and we are a Disney and enjoy watching the kids have some fun..smjj

OOPs! Sometimes a tricky topic! I asked on a diffrent post if it was possible to have a place where adults can enjoy the pool amenities which is what they have on DCL. Threre is an adult pool for ages 18 and over which is clearly posted. I am not saying an age but a quiet pool is a place where people young and old are respectful of others who are quietly relaxing not slamming noodles and screaming at the top of their lungs. We have always loved to take our kids home but always let them know if everyone is quiet like at BW's "Quiet Pool" attimes that we have been there they need to keep it down.If they want to let loose we go to the Main pool.
Quiet means have a good time but respect the atmosphere. It doesn't take much to come to a pool where a dozen or so adults are relaxing and figure it out that the majority just wants "QUIET".

Oh I forgot we have been members for years and love kids but please think of other people. We have waited and paid for a little serenity too, everyone has paid but not everyone is considerate and respect each other.

When we stayed at SSR a lady made a nasty comment about my kids playing at the "quiet" pool. BUT the main pool was very far away from where we were in Congress Park so we used the closer pool? Were we wrong? I did ask my child age 5 to stay at one end of the pool and to keep it down while he was playing with the other kids enjoying the pool but we really never dreamed of trekking to the main pool because of its location?!:confused3

I'm a grandfather, and I must say I actually enjoy the energy of kids swimming and playing around in the water!

The only bad experience I've ever had at a Disney pool was caused by some adults. As my wife and I were in the hot tub at Grand Floridian one night, some female conventioneers climbed in, setting their drinks beside them. Not a smart thing -- the drinking and hot-tubbing -- but to each their own.

After a short while some young men joined them (boy-toy wannabes, it looked like), and they proceeded to smoke while in the hot tub. The conventioneers joined them. My wife and I promptly left -- we had visions of cigarette butts floating on the water. I wondered if they would eventually turn the water yellow so that it looked like a big toilet! :eek:

When we stayed at SSR a lady made a nasty comment about my kids playing at the "quiet" pool. BUT the main pool was very far away from where we were in Congress Park so we used the closer pool? Were we wrong? I did ask my child age 5 to stay at one end of the pool and to keep it down while he was playing with the other kids enjoying the pool but we really never dreamed of trekking to the main pool because of its location?!:confused3

I posted early on in this thread about loud kids at a, well lets call it a "pool without a lifeguard". These kids were yelling and screaming. I would have no problem with kids just playing. And I certainly wouldn't expect a family to go a long distance just so they did not play in said "pool without a lifeguard".

OOPs! Sometimes a tricky topic! I asked on a diffrent post if it was possible to have a place where adults can enjoy the pool amenities which is what they have on DCL. Threre is an adult pool for ages 18 and over which is clearly posted. .....
we've been on 2 disney cruises, & both times there were quite a few kids in the adult pool, parents sitting on the side (when approached by a CM, the response was that the family pool was too crowded, & they paid a lot of money, ya-da, yada :sad2: ).

we wound up never using the pool b/c it was too crowded, rather went up to the top deck to relax.

but basking in the hot sun, listening to raggae music while sipping a tropical drink (yeah, it had an umbrella!! :thumbsup2 ) beats going in a noisy, crowded pool anyday :beach:

Quiet pools were a term used by many guidebooks until recently. Now they are all referred to in the guides and on the Disney website as additional unguarded pools or leisure pools.

In our orginial DVC guidebook, the hard spiral kind, they are referred to as "quiet pools" and we did not purchase until 2000. So at least until 2000, Disney was still calling them quiet pools at the DVC resorts.

In our orginial DVC guidebook, the hard spiral kind, they are referred to as "quiet pools" and we did not purchase until 2000. So at least until 2000, Disney was still calling them quiet pools.

Well, that helps explain why many DVCers think of them as quiet pools.

I just looked for my oldest Birnbaum and it's not where it should be.:rolleyes1 But I'm as sure as my old brain can be that the secondary pools at the Polynesian, FW, etc. were not called quiet pools in the 80s Birnbaums. I remember checking when this discussion arose in the past. I'll look again on Sunday.

But Sammie perhaps it would be more accurate to state that at least in 2000, DVC was describing its secondary pools as quiet. At the Polynesian, the pool that was added in the early 80s is large, often has lifeguards and I do not think has ever been called a quiet pool. Not to parse words or anything.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter