Your Next Trip......Fly Out Of Canada or USA

I know its cheaper to fly out of Buffalo (and we've also done Detroit too) for US destinations but what about for places like Mexico or the Caribbean. Have anyone ever done an all inclusive package flying out of the US?

wee-haggis said:
How long will it take before the Feds figure out that they will soon be doing some airlines out of revenue due to the ridiculous fees they charge.

In Toronto the Feds don't have anything to do with landing fees or gate fees. It's the GTAA a private organization since Transport Canada got out of the business of running PIA. And then can charge pretty much whatever they want.

Joann said:
I have never flown out of Buffalo so once you do everything at the boarder you don't have to do any customs at the airport or anything? Just go thru security then to your gate?Do you not do it anywhere not even in Orlando just when we drive thru the boarder crossing?

When you cross at the border have your flight confirmation printout with you along with your ID. Then we you check in at BUF all you need is a photo ID (like Drivers license) no need to bother with proof of citizenship since it's a domestic flight). I think they are very used to Canadians coming over to fly. I'd guess based on people's luggage tags and ID most of our Orlando flights have been at least 25% Canadian.

And you shouldn't get lost. We always cross at Ft Erie at it's about 15 min all major highway and well marked.

Thanks dsneygirl would it be longer to drive comming from Burlington going over the falls boarder to the airport ..or is the fort erie one quicker and easier to fing the airport we have no clue where the Buffalo airport is hehe

dsneygirl said:
In Toronto the Feds don't have anything to do with landing fees or gate fees. It's the GTAA a private organization since Transport Canada got out of the business of running PIA. And then can charge pretty much whatever they want.
I wasn't referring to the landing and gate fees(although they do have an affect on the exorbitant base price).
I was meaning the taxes and fees that (correct me if I'm wrong) are charged on top of the fare:

As an example I'm choosing an Air Canada flight from YYZ to MCO.
Base Price:$413.00
Nav Can:$14.97
Canada Airport Improvement Fee:$15
USA Transporatation Tax:$33.16
Canada Security Charge:$7.94
GST:$31.63
US Passenger Facility Fee:$3.43
Sept 11th Security Fee:$2.86
USA Immigration:$8.00
Total Tax And Fees = $116.99

As far as I can see 1 maybe 2 of the taxes and fees above may go to the GTAA and the rest to our (or US) governement.

Compare this to a SWA flight from BUF to MCO.
Random date using (more expensive)"Refundable Anytime"Fare.
Base Price: US$364.66
US Tax: US$16.97
PFC: US$3.00
Security: US$2.50
Total = US$22.47 (or $25.95 CAN)

we loved fling out of buffalo!! And that's with Two Small children and a stop over in Atlanta ... would do it again in a second ... and WE saved over $1000.00 :cheer2:

We're looking to fly out of Buffalo during March break unless something else pops up.

Buffalo, have saved a ton over the last three years, haven't flown from Canada since Jan 04.

PJ

We find crossing at Fort Erie the easiest for us. The signs for the Buffalo airport are easy to find and it's only a short drive.

shaycamp21 said:
I know its cheaper to fly out of Buffalo (and we've also done Detroit too) for US destinations but what about for places like Mexico or the Caribbean. Have anyone ever done an all inclusive package flying out of the US?

I have not flown to the Caribbean/Mexico out of BUF yet. Prices still seem to be cheaper (if you book last minute, 1-2 weeks before flight) out of YYZ.

I would also be very interested in hearing from Canadians who have booked all inclusive week long stays out of BUF to Mexico/Caribbean. Specifically, what web sites/ and or US travel agents do you use? I have been booking last minute AIs to Mexico/Caribbean for so long and seem to find great prices out of YYZ. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places for BUF.

We're down in Florida right now and flew down from Buffalo and Southwest :thumbsup2 and we're returning for a big family gathering this November and will be booking again thru Southwest and Buffalo as I refuse to pay all the taxes and surcharges that YYZ charges! :furious:

From Buffalo for any U.S. destinations, for anywhere else in the world, YYZ.

wee-haggis said:
I wasn't referring to the landing and gate fees(although they do have an affect on the exorbitant base price).

Exactly. They're not listed as seperate fees or taxes, they just roll it into the fare and jack up the prices. I work at PIA and apparently it costs around $2500 to park a plane so if there are 100 passengers on board that's $25 from every ticket. I would imagine a larger plane (like a 747, or 340) would be much more.

riu girl said:
I have not flown to the Caribbean/Mexico out of BUF yet. Prices still seem to be cheaper (if you book last minute, 1-2 weeks before flight) out of YYZ.

I would also be very interested in hearing from Canadians who have booked all inclusive week long stays out of BUF to Mexico/Caribbean. Specifically, what web sites/ and or US travel agents do you use? I have been booking last minute AIs to Mexico/Caribbean for so long and seem to find great prices out of YYZ. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places for BUF.

I am a travel agent in Hamilton. If going to a U.S destination I myself and all my clients that are local fly from Buffalo. The prices can't be beat. Usually we use AirTran or Jetblue. Southwest is usually cheaper but the open seating is just not worth the hassle for most however it is a great option if you are willing to put up with the inconvenience.
As for packages to the Caribbean or Mexico Toronto or Hamilton beats Buffalo pricing hands down. The tour operators and consolidators pricing is much below U.S tour operators. The problem though is we are restricted in other forms. Most TO's such as Air Transat, Conquest etc will olny let you book for 1 week, 2 weeks etc. In the States you can go for 3 days, four days etc. We can do this too but it is usually with hotel and air seperate not a true package which can increase the cost. I have many customers in the states who come up here for packages to the Sun destinations because our pricing are much better. Also Toronto is more than competitive price wise for European destinations.
Alicia

Our next trip is Dec and we are driving so no flying from Canada or the US but if we had to choose a place to fly from it would be the US for the fares alone.

alicia68 what is open seating mean ?

Buffalo or Detroit for US destinations, non-package. I hardly ever bother checking the Canadian airlines anymore. There just hasn't been any comparison!

We have only flown from YYZ. Mainly because it's 15-20 minutes from our house, our experiences have been good and dh trusts only Canadian Pilots. I'm game to try BUF thou. Sandra

alicia68:
thanks for the info. I will stop trying to find good Mexico AI deals out of BUF. I have been looking for about 3 years and YYZ always works out to be less expensive.
Thanks to you, now I know why! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter