your peeve when eating out????

bubba's mom

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=darko
:offtopic: I have this posted on the Community Board, but thought I'd post here also.....had a good response there, but for those UO's that don't make it to the CB, I thought I'd post this here too..........

Hey everybody!! :wave2: I'd like your help/input with a little research project we're doing for work. We are writing a new book and going to teach "customer service" classes to waiters/waitresses.

What I'd like to know is: what is your biggest pet peeves (can be more than one) about service when you go out to eat??? List as many as you'd like.....

Hopefully these ideas will make it to our book and our trainers will able to teach and train servers so that we all may have better restaurant service!!

Thanks for your input!! :wave2:

(if you already contributed at the CB, I thank you so much!!)

:) The biggest peeve for us eating out is at the end when the bill has been taken care of with tip and is closed out...but we are still at the table and the waiter or waitress takes it from you. We usually tip well even with mediocre service, but it still makes us (the customers) feel uncomfortable.

Others include addressing the customers as "sweetie", "hun", etc.
If another server brings out the food, a follow up if everything is fine (if the order is correct) is nice. Then another follow up to find out how things are.

Hope this helps...and one more thing, a smile always goes a long way! :)

I HATE to be left sitting at my table totally ignored. If the server is busy, just a simple "I'll be with you in a minute", really helps.

I have a problem when after being served my entree the server either doesnt come back to check if everything is OK or they take so long that I have to look for them. To me there is nothing worse than getting a meal that is either not right or cooked wrong and seeing your server nowhere in sight while everyone else has started eating.

I also dislike (this doesnt happen often) when most of the entrees come out while some take considerably longer.

OK, one more. Please don't suggest the most expensive item on the menu if it isnt the best item on the menu. I can tell you want the tip on a big bill but you are better off being honest and will get a larger tip everytime when you are.

Let us know how you make out with this, its a great idea! :)

Pet Peeve - server needs to check back frequently for drink refills. I can't stand needing a refill half-way through my dinner and the server doesn't come back until it is time for dessert!! P.S. Hope you get the research you need.

JawsCPA said:
Pet Peeve - server needs to check back frequently for drink refills. I can't stand needing a refill half-way through my dinner and the server doesn't come back until it is time for dessert!! P.S. Hope you get the research you need.

DITTO for me! I HATE that.

Here are some others:

Please ask me before you take my plate or drink away. A simple "all done?" will do, but please never assume I'm finished.

I hate making a request like "no mushrooms" or "baked potato instead of mashed potato, please" or something like that, and having that request ignored. I feel bad about asking for something different in the first place. Don't make me ask again and feel like more of a pain in the butt.

Here's something that happened to hubby and I recently, that was annoying: I had ordered a steak medium rare, and it came out well done. I explained the problem to the waiter, who apologized and redid the steak. But, my hubby wanted to eat with me, and no one offered to keep his plate warm while mine was being redone. The waiter went away too quick to ask him, and we had to hunt him down. Probably not a big deal when dining with a larger party, but when it's a couple eating together, it's a different story. What? We go out to dinner together to eat separately?

My pet peeve is when a waiter, or waitress, asks you if you want change when you hand them the billfold!
If the bill is 50 and I give you a hundred, of course I want my change, I think it's such a silly question and it always irritates me! :crazy:

Hmmmm

Here arw a few....

Resturants where the tables are too close together and the chair is knocked when people walk by or if the person at the table behind gets up.

When a waiter or waitress askes if everything is OK and they get a negatiuve answer then doing nothing about it. I have had several occasions where they have simply said 'sorry about that' and then left it at that. If somethng is worng, I expect something to be done about it.

I HATE the 'tipping guide' that is given out with some bills, the amounts are somtimes pushing it a bit (we had one that suggested up to 30%) and the way it is done sometimes almost akin to begging in some resturants.

When I can't get a drink refill during a meal.

We went to Tchoup Chop Friday night and there is a crew of about four waiters that tend to your every need. They refilled the drinks several times and since I ordered the Chef's Tasting Menu they explained every course in detail. Our main server dropped a glass and it shattered and there was a swarm of people picking up the pieces. Later a waiter knocked over a glass of water into the lap of my teenage son's friend. As they were cleaning up that mess a well dressed man approached and ask the server that knocked it over if he did it. When the server answer that he did the guy said, "You're fired!" We had a good laugh. They gave the kid the same desert as I got and he was happy. The bill was still $250!
I hate it when you ask for ketchup and they don't bring it for 15 minutes.

Don't sit at my table to take my order! Man, I hate that. If I'm out to dinner with my family, I have selected the people with whom I'll be sitting. I don't need/want the wait staff sitting with us with their dirty hands and elbows all over our table. Yuck!

I agree with checking back soon after you've left the food with the table. My DH decided in The Palm that he wanted steak sauce. It took forever to find our waiter, or any other FWIW to get him steak sauce.

gschmerl said:
I HATE to be left sitting at my table totally ignored. If the server is busy, just a simple "I'll be with you in a minute", really helps.

That happened to us a couple weeks ago at a Ruby Tuesday in Branson, Missouri. It even looked like there were more servers than tables occupied as we saw only 4 tables occupied but 5 servers chatting away by the cash register. At two different times, we had a server approach our table only to stop at a table 2 away and wipe it down and then return back to their hangout by the register. After 5 minutes of waiting without an aknowledgement, we left. If the restaurant had been packed, I could have understood, but it wasn't.

I hate the way waitresses give tons of attention to my husband (very handsome don't ya know) and almost completely ignores me. Should I have to point out that I am the one that pays the bill and the tip?

But seriously, it really, really, gets my goat when my husbands glass is filled three times and mine has not been refilled once.

Kimberly

A few minor ones that have to do with kids...

Please don't give me a dirty look when I want to share a meal with my kid or make a point of saying, "so nothing for him" like I'm going to let him starve after I already said that we're going to share. (Yes I know that they're only 4 or 5 dollars, but he won't finish it and I can't stand to leave food on a plate, so I'll finish it and then I'll be huge, LOL. I WOULD HAVE tipped as if we had ordered another meal.)

Sometimes it's amazing what you have to do to get a highchair. You tell the hostess, she takes you to your table and says she'll be right back with the highchair, she doesn't come back, so you tell the waitress. She tells the hostess, who still doesn't bring one, and then they get annoyed with you when you get your own.

I love it when the server asks if I want her to go ahead and put the kids order in when she takes the drink order. That gives time for it to cool, gives you time to ask for catsup, cut the food up or whatever before your meal comes.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks "guys" ;) ......keep 'em coming! My boss is loving this information....we are recording it ALL and it is very useful!!!!

Snoopymom said:
I love it when the server asks if I want her to go ahead and put the kids order in when she takes the drink order. That gives time for it to cool, gives you time to ask for catsup, cut the food up or whatever before your meal comes.
Ooh! This is especially true when you are ordering an appetizer and the kids are hungry. To save time, I like for them to get their meals with my appetizer and then they can have dessert while we're having our dinner.

Keeps them busy and they aren't whining because we have food and they don't.

Ordering an appetizer at the same time as my meal, waiting an extraordinary amount of time for the appetizer which finally comes, and then my entree comes out within a minute or two.

Another thing I hate, which I don't know if it's just Murphy's Law or an inattentive server, is waiting an hour to be seated, seeing another couple come in and get seated right after us once we've finally been seated and them getting their service first.

On another note, I'd like to add some things that I love and will keep me coming back and recommending a place to others:

I love when the manager or owner checks on his/her guests.

Servers remembering the little things, i.e., bringing a certain condiment if requested with the meal, not 15 minutes after I've been served; waiting for me to cut my steak to see if it's cooked the way I requested; refilling my water or soda without me having to ask.

Knowledge of the menu, daily specials, drinks and potential wine pairings. Please don't ask me if I'm ready to order if you don't know what the soup of the day or fish of the day is. Be prepared to tell me how any given item on a menu is prepared, what oils are used (partially hydrogenated or not) and what makes any particular item on the menu "special," i.e., oak-fire ovens, slow roasted with au jus, organic-only veggies, et cetera. I also expect my server to know that, for instance, a spicy chicken meal would be best paired with a sweet white wine. Please know which wines on the wine list would be considered sweet in case I'm not familiar with all the wines on the list. Same thing if I'm ordering a steak with an earthy mushroom jus, but, say, I don't like oaky wines...be prepared to listen and make an appropriate suggestion.

HTH!

As a former waitress, there are a lot of things that irritate me. I took pride in my job (it was my only source of income) and made TONS of money doing it before I became 'corporate'! I took my family to WDW/USF on that money I made there - and for two weeks at a time! Soooo....

First - ALWAYS stop by a new table to say "hi" introduce yourself, even if you're hands are full. Tell them you'll be right back. It's very appreciated.

ALWAYS give your name. I always liked when a guest would call me by my name, or go to the owner and compliment me by name, or ask for me again when they returned.

Drinks - start off with drink orders and quite possibly appetizers. Especially if it's super busy, ask the guests if they'd like an appetizer to hold them over. I always was honest and let them know if the kitchen was backed up or not. If no appetizers are ordered - bring out the bread! Especially if there are kids at the table. I hate sitting at a table with nothing in front of me (even water).

Know the menu - my boss always had us try everything. We tasted the specials every night so we knew what we were selling. I always let people know what my favorite was - they liked that, but you have to let them know if it's spicy or has mushrooms, or something else that they may not like.

Go back and check right after the first bite. After that - DON'T HOVER! I hate that - people want to eat, not have an audience while they do. I would usually do a couple walk-throughs without bothering anyone. It makes it look like you are checking, without actually 'checking'.

EMPTY THE ASHTRAY!! ick! My boss said no more than 3 butts in the ashtray, and I lived by that. It's also a great way to check on drinks without the guest thinking that's what you're doing.

I'm sure I have plenty more! I'll post if I think of any.

As a former waitress I dont do well with staff that doesnt give refills, or ignores you, especially if I am a solo dinner, I tip well inspite of the smaller bill for 1!

I understand busy, I understand if someone doesnt show up for work. But even if you are over worked to say "I will be with you in just a moment" as you fly by does wonders. Waitressing isnt brain surgery. Be polite, introduce yourself

Put in your appetizers, then your dinners. Otherwise it all comes within 2 min of each other and that irritates me!!!!!

theterms said:
As a former waitress, there are a lot of things that irritate me. I took pride in my job (it was my only source of income) and made TONS of money doing it before I became 'corporate'! I took my family to WDW/USF on that money I made there - and for two weeks at a time! Soooo....

First - ALWAYS stop by a new table to say "hi" introduce yourself, even if you're hands are full. Tell them you'll be right back. It's very appreciated.

ALWAYS give your name. I always liked when a guest would call me by my name, or go to the owner and compliment me by name, or ask for me again when they returned.

Drinks - start off with drink orders and quite possibly appetizers. Especially if it's super busy, ask the guests if they'd like an appetizer to hold them over. I always was honest and let them know if the kitchen was backed up or not. If no appetizers are ordered - bring out the bread! Especially if there are kids at the table. I hate sitting at a table with nothing in front of me (even water).

Know the menu - my boss always had us try everything. We tasted the specials every night so we knew what we were selling. I always let people know what my favorite was - they liked that, but you have to let them know if it's spicy or has mushrooms, or something else that they may not like.

Go back and check right after the first bite. After that - DON'T HOVER! I hate that - people want to eat, not have an audience while they do. I would usually do a couple walk-throughs without bothering anyone. It makes it look like you are checking, without actually 'checking'.

EMPTY THE ASHTRAY!! ick! My boss said no more than 3 butts in the ashtray, and I lived by that. It's also a great way to check on drinks without the guest thinking that's what you're doing.

I'm sure I have plenty more! I'll post if I think of any.

sounds like you had an excellent boss and had many satisifed customers! (repeat requests)..... sounds like you really "get" customer service!!! :thumbsup2 Thanks for the input!!!! :teeth:

Gosh ya'll. My peeve is waiters/waitresses who are around constantly. I like to have service but sometimes I wonder if they want me to adopt them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter