1st time DCL - Wish - Booking/Planning Questions

Duke07

Mouseketeer
I'm booked for a 4 night cruise on the Wish to the Bahamas. First time on DCL and actually the first time ever on a cruise!

Despite being a Disney veteran at park planning, this has been like learning a new language! I could use some help with planning/booking. We're going with a 5 and 2 year old and we have about 7 days until our activity booking window opens.

1. How important is booking the nursery in advance? Does it fill up?

2. Does the Oceaneer's Club require booking/registration?

3. What are the best excursions at Castaway and Nassau to book with young children? Or is it best to just wing it?

4. What should we prioritize on board to book in advance?

5. How do the character meetings work (seems to be some conflicting info around this)? Can they be booked in advance?

Any other general tips for first timers would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
2. You cannot book kid's club activities. You can pre-register your kids, saving yourself a few minutes onboard on the first day.
2. For your first time at CC, I would not book any excursion unless one of them is an absolute must-do. Most guests do not book anything at CC. Nassau is often used as an additional sea day for many, as Nassau is not the best place to visit. However, if you want to do an excursion there, you should definitly book it ASAP and not wait on the ship. Excursions do fill up.
4. Some specific M&G - the Princess gathering for example - are ticketed events. Most characters are met by getting in line at a designated spot at a specific time. You can see the schedule for the entire cruise in the app.
5. Go with the flow on your first cruise. You'll have a great vacation even if you don't plan everything in advance.

2. You cannot book kid's club activities. You can pre-register your kids, saving yourself a few minutes onboard on the first day.
2. For your first time at CC, I would not book any excursion unless one of them is an absolute must-do. Most guests do not book anything at CC. Nassau is often used as an additional sea day for many, as Nassau is not the best place to visit. However, if you want to do an excursion there, you should definitly book it ASAP and not wait on the ship. Excursions do fill up.
4. Some specific M&G - the Princess gathering for example - are ticketed events. Most characters are met by getting in line at a designated spot at a specific time. You can see the schedule for the entire cruise in the app.
5. Go with the flow on your first cruise. You'll have a great vacation even if you don't plan everything in advance.
Thanks and sorry about the numbering mishap in the original post...fixed!

Re: characters if there is someone you want to see definitely try to get there a few minutes early as lines start forming before scheduled time and they can/will fill up

With the above just because a character is out doesn’t mean the end of the line is for them so definitely ask a guest or cast member who you are waiting for (I was in line for Donald and people behind me thought they were queuing for Mickey who physically was out in the moment)

Nassau to book with young children
I'd stay on the boat with children that young. There is so much to do with the kid's clubs and the pool. We didn't get off at Nassau this last time (DS was 7 at the time) and we just enjoyed our day exploring the ship/swimming/etc.

This was me before our first cruise that we took just last week. We did the same cruise you are doing and loved it. Never thought I would enjoy cruising, but it was just a really cool experience.
Most people have already answered your questions, but as a newbie that regularly goes to the parks, I can share my thoughts. We did get off at Nassau, mainly because we felt we should set foot there at least once. Our kids are 12 and 7 so a bit older than yours, but they found it interesting just because it was so different from anything else they have seen. We went in some shops, Straw Market then walked to the beach area. I don't think you are missing much if you don't get off, but I would say try it out. If I did another cruise that stopped there, I would probably skip it that time. The good thing is that you can walk back to the ship whenever you want. We came back for lunch on the ship so we weren't there a super long time. Make sure that when you leave and return to the ship for Nassau or CC that each traveler has their KTTW card and 18+ will need a govt issued ID (either Driver's license or passport.)
Agree with others that for your first cruise, I think you are better off not booking a ton of extras. We only booked swimming with stingrays at Castaway Cay, which I highly recommend, but maybe when your kids are a little older. My husband and daughter also did the 5k on Castaway Cay and you get a nice souvenir after. It doesn't require any advanced registration and you just do it on your own (following signs around the island.) We did not book any extras on the ship and I don't regret that decision. We had the most fun just walking around and exploring things.
Everyone says it, but you really don't need to pack as much as you think you do. We had way too much stuff and the rooms are very small with not much drawer space. We had come for WDW right before so that was some of the reason we had too much.
Make sure you search for your cruise group on FB and join if that's something that interests you. I found a lot of the questions asked and answered were helpful to me. Someone organizes the FE/other exchanges groups there that you can sign up to be in if desired (we didn't.)
One thing that no one ever mentioned to me, but it reminded me a bit of being on an airplane. The motion was similar (except for the last night when there was some rough waters) and the toilets, boarding, etc. all sort of gave a feeling of being on an airplane. My daughter got motion sick the first evening. I never had to give her medicine, but I had ordered some acupressure bands for kids and they worked really well. She never had an issue after the first night. You get used to the motion pretty quickly, but it is a bizarre feeling if you have never experienced it.
Review the list of prohibited items and double check suitcases for anything maybe leftover from previous trips. My husband's suitcase was delivered very late because it had to go though extra security and had a small pocket knife/toolset removed that he forgot was in his bag. We thought it was lost so double check your bags for those items and don't be like my husband. :rolleyes:
Don't judge anything by the first day. It's chaotic and you will feel like cattle. Do make sure to attend the Sail Away Party - it's a great way to start the trip.
I'm sure I have a lot more thoughts, but feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

Thank you for all the replies! Each one is really appreciated and helps me feel a bit less overwhelmed. I'm a planner by nature and accustomed to planning every nanosecond of a Disney trip, so flying blind here is an uneasy feeling.

For Nassau, I've heard that so many people choose not to get off the ship that day that it's very crowded on board (long lines for Aquamouse, etc.). That was leading me to consider getting off (though I'd rather just enjoy the ship that day).

It seems like the online check in 30 days out is the greatest challenge here (my head spins every time I read the guides for it), but I'd imagine that's a struggle for all first-timers.

Thank you for all the replies! Each one is really appreciated and helps me feel a bit less overwhelmed. I'm a planner by nature and accustomed to planning every nanosecond of a Disney trip, so flying blind here is an uneasy feeling.

For Nassau, I've heard that so many people choose not to get off the ship that day that it's very crowded on board (long lines for Aquamouse, etc.). That was leading me to consider getting off (though I'd rather just enjoy the ship that day).

It seems like the online check in 30 days out is the greatest challenge here (my head spins every time I read the guides for it), but I'd imagine that's a struggle for all first-timers.
Online check in stressed me out too. I was going to stay up till midnight, but then decided it wasn't worth it since many people report issues with so many people logging on to do it then. I got up the next morning to check in, had no issues and got a 12:15-12:30 boarding time which ending up being perfect for us. Just have your documents/photos in an easy to access place and you will be fine doing online check in. Have a one-word "password" in mind for use when picking up from the kids club. It will ask for that word if you register your kids for the clubs during online check in. And make sure it's something you will remember.

I'm not a first time cruiser, but our cruise next year is our first one since 2014. But since we're more than likely tacking on a couple days in WDW and using DCL transfers, I'm not worrying about the PAT and my mom is driving to the port, so she'll be ok with an arrival after noon.

We've done the 4 night cruise before on the Dream, so we're probably not doing excursions in Nassau. My kids will be 3.5 and 7.5 and I don't feel like dealing with them in Nassau. And we're not doing excursions in castaway cay. Fun fact you don't have to pay to swim with stingrays, I ran screaming out of the water at the adults beach because there was one in the water :rotfl2:

Fun fact you don't have to pay to swim with stingrays, I ran screaming out of the water at the adults beach because there was one in the water
Too funny! There were fish in the main water areas, but I never saw a stingray except for in the paid snorkeling area. My 12 year old actually got bit by one during the feeding part. We think a piece of food must have been floating by her leg and the stingray swam by to grab it. She was fine, but it did leave a mark for a bit and made her a little anxious to swim with them.

I get that. I can assure you that my two days at Walt Disney World in January took more planning and were more stressful than the 7-night Fantasy cruise that preceded them. You truly don't have to plan out every minute (or even every day) of the cruise to have a great time. Just keep in mind that you won't do everything, but you don't need to.

As far as what to book in advance, for a short cruise, you really don't need to book anything. For a first-time cruise with young kids, you may want to simply enjoy the main dining rooms once each plus Pirate Night, or you may want to book an adult dinner at Palo or Enchante. If you want to treat your 5 year old to the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique, you should book that in advance. You could book an adult beverage tasting or a spa visit if that appeals to you. If you're not sure about the spa, you could probably book a treatment after you're onboard if you'd like.

I have only booked the Nursery once, and that was many years ago, so I don't know how quickly it fills up. If you are booking adult dining, you should book the nursery at the same time. Otherwise, you can wait and see what's happening onboard. As mentioned above, you will need to register your older child for the Oceaneers Club/Lab by indicating names of those with sign-out privileges and a password, but you don't need to book specific activities -- just check your child in and out at your leisure.

A few character meets require advance reservations to be done 30 days in advance (at the same time on online check-in opens, though done separately) but for most meets, as mentioned above, you can just show up and get in line. You may even run into characters wandering around the ship with no line at all.

For Nassau, I agree that staying on the ship may be your best option. If you don't book an excursion, you can make the choice of staying onboard or disembarking on that day, depending on the weather, how crowded the ship is, and what activities you want to do. The only excursion I'd consider for young kids is Ardastra Gardens, and only If you don't get to zoos much or your kids really like animals.

I would not do an excursion at Castaway Cay with young kids -- just let them play around on the beach.

Online check-in is tedious, but not scary, as long as you have the documents you need -- pictures of passport or birth certificate/photo ID, number for credit card if you're using one, and photos of passengers.

You'll be fine!

I'm not a first time cruiser, but our cruise next year is our first one since 2014. But since we're more than likely tacking on a couple days in WDW and using DCL transfers, I'm not worrying about the PAT and my mom is driving to the port, so she'll be ok with an arrival after noon.

We've done the 4 night cruise before on the Dream, so we're probably not doing excursions in Nassau. My kids will be 3.5 and 7.5 and I don't feel like dealing with them in Nassau. And we're not doing excursions in castaway cay. Fun fact you don't have to pay to swim with stingrays, I ran screaming out of the water at the adults beach because there was one in the water :rotfl2:
What is PAT? I need to know if I should worry about it.

You don’t need to worry about Port Arrival Time, but you do need to pay attention to it. When you complete online check-in, you will select a PAT. This indicated the time at which you will be allowed to enter the cruise terminal. You will also receive a Boarding Group number, which indicated when you will be able to board the ship. If you have an early PAT you will need to wait in the terminal before boarding begins. Once boarding begins, groups are called every 5-10 minutes.

If you are using Disney Cruise transportation from Walt Disney World, you do. It need to select a PAT and should be able to enter the terminal when your bus arrives there. If you are using DCL transportation from the Orlando airport, as of now you do still need to choose a PAT.

I didn't read all of the replies but I read quite a few. I have a bit of a different opinion than most of the people here. Keep in mind most of the people here are regular cruisers. Nassau for a regular cruiser is meh, Nassau for someone who hasn't been there is a pretty cool place.

Our first DCL cruise was Jan 2020. We went with my kids who were 2, 4, and 6 at the time. We ended up not using the nursery or kids clubs at all. There was SO MUCH we wanted to do on a short cruise it just wasn't possible. To answer your question I'm not positive on the nursery but the kids club shouldn't fill up or require reservations.

Nassau - I wouldn't stay on the ship if you've never been. I really enjoyed Blue Lagoon. Its a private island that has TONS of things to offer. I've been there twice, once with my kids and another time on a girls trip and had a great time both times we were there. My only complaint with Nassau was getting dropped back off from the excursion near the straw market and having people getting really in your face trying to sell things. Like I had someone follow me around for a good 20 minutes trying to braid my hair. That was before they redid their dock, I was just there a couple months ago and had ZERO issues. They dropped us right near our ship and we got back on no problem at all. I did the dolphin encounter with my older two sons then on the recent girls trip I went swimming with the sharks there!

Castaway Cay - There is so much you can do without having to overbook everything. We love to ride bikes and snorkel which is all stuff you can do without a reservation. Castaway is an awesome day because you really get to just enjoy without any pressure of trying to get things done at a specific time.

I would prioritize whatever is most important to your family. There's not much that you'll have access to that'll sell out really quick. Anything like that will be long gone before your booking window opens (which isn't very many things honestly).

Characters there are SOME you need to book in advance but the basic Mickey and friends plus many others you don't book, you just see them and get in line. Princesses are one you book then a few other higher demand characters. The kids also have a chance to see characters in the kids clubs too without a reservation but that'll be without you.

If you have any other questions feel free to fire them away! It sounds like I was in your shoes almost exactly (minus one extra kiddo LOL) on our first cruise! Good luck and have fun!

I did the dolphin encounter with my older two sons then on the recent girls trip I went swimming with the sharks there!
Did you enjoy the dolphin encounter? Was getting there easy, and how long (total) was the excursion? Lastly, was it difficult to book?

We’re considering cruising for the first time in summer 2024. We have one child, a son who will be 8 and that excursion looks like fun but I’m struggling because I’m SUPER type A and I need to know all the things before I book it. 😬

Did you enjoy the dolphin encounter? Was getting there easy, and how long (total) was the excursion? Lastly, was it difficult to book?

We’re considering cruising for the first time in summer 2024. We have one child, a son who will be 8 and that excursion looks like fun but I’m struggling because I’m SUPER type A and I need to know all the things before I book it. 😬
We enjoyed it, my oldest (in the first photo - age 6 at the time) really had a great time, my younger one was a little nervous.

So they take you onto this floating dock and then you step down a set of stairs into the water and you're on a metal platform that's about waist deep for adults. My youngest (4 at the time was too short and with the life vest making him float he couldn't touch so we had to hold him.

We learned about the dolphin first and watched him interact with the trainer. Then each family got a little individual time with the dolphin. We got to give it hugs and kisses and also have it do tricks for us. At the end they line every group up for a photo with the dolphin.

Second photo is to show about how high the water is. I'm 5'7 and my husband is like 6'1. My 6 year old could stand if he wanted to my 4 year old would have been able to stand if he wasn't wearing the life vest. I am sure an 8 year old would be just fine.

My only complaint, which I understand WHY they do it but still, is you cannot have your phone or anything with you to take any photos on your own so I had to either buy a photo package or individual pictures.

Overall the excursion was kind of an "all day" thing. The encounter all in all was probably an hour but then you have access to the beach and rest of the island after. PreCOVID they had shuttles multiple times an hour that you could go back to the ship whenever you wanted. When I was there a couple months ago they had a set time everyone from the ship had to leave and that was the only time they would take people back. For us we did our excursion then hung out on the beach. Blue lagoon had TONS of chairs some in shade some in sun and we just enjoyed the day until it was time to go back.
dolphins.jpg

dolphins1.jpg

PreCOVID they had shuttles multiple times an hour that you could go back to the ship whenever you wanted. When I was there a couple months ago they had a set time everyone from the ship had to leave and that was the only time they would take people back

Thanks for this info, it's honestly my one hang up about booking this excursion (well any) right now. I know my kids won't survive a full day. And while this seems crazy to say about a Caribbean cruise, we're just not beach people. The sand, the sun, the seagulls...and we're going in February so while my kids won't care about water temp (and the water doesn't get that much warmer up here), I won't like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter