2006 version: What have you seen on the Emerald aisle?

docsnort said:
We arrived on 10/13 around 10:30 PM and took a Saturn Vue. There was also a Jeep Liberty and 2 intermediates. I think they were Impalas. The Vue was a great drive but it was black which made it like an oven during the record heat last week! :sunny:

I think Impalas are a full-size, not intermediate. The one I got in MSP was practically a luxury car--leather interior, XM radio, and it was a wonderful car to drive (got great fuel economy too). Huge trunk.

Portie

We got to the Emerald Aisle on 10/05 at about noon. There, in a sea of Impalas, was a Pontiac Torrent with only 6 miles on it. We snagged that sucker! :thumbsup2

PortieOwner said:
I think Impalas are a full-size, not intermediate. The one I got in MSP was practically a luxury car--leather interior, XM radio, and it was a wonderful car to drive (got great fuel economy too). Huge trunk.

Portie

Yep, the refreshed Impalas (06' and beyond) are a MAJOR improvement over the older models. They really spiffed up the interiors, gave it better gas millage (had one a few weeks ago in RSW, got 31 Hwy) and just an overall better drive...Also, the LTZ has a new 3.9L HO V6 which really zips along....

We arrived on the A side around 12:30am on 10/18. There were two Jeep Liberty's (one of which had low miles, but the doors wouldn't lock or unlock and we couldn't get the rear door open and the other one smelled like smoke) 3-4 PT Cruisers and 8-10 minivans and large SUV's. I took one of the PT's since I didn't need a big car.

I have a standard SUV reserved through Emerald Reserve. I wish I had a minivan, but don't want to pay the extra $50.

If there happen to be minivans on EA, could I take that instead? Just wondering if anyone has had this experience?

cinderlexa's mom said:
I have a standard SUV reserved through Emerald Reserve. I wish I had a minivan, but don't want to pay the extra $50.

If there happen to be minivans on EA, could I take that instead? Just wondering if anyone has had this experience?

It is really one of those unwritten rules. You should talk to the garage attendent, and usually, with a little bit of kindness, you can get whatever you want. Why not make a EA reservation and if they don't have a van, inquire about paying the upgrade fee to get one (it shouldn't cost you any more).

I've done this a couple of times. I usually reserve full size so I'm sure to have enough room for people and luggage. Twice, I've seen bigger SUVs on the EA than anything available on the full size aisle. So I drive those up to the attendant and tell them upfront that I know this was on the EA, but there wasn't a (fill in the blank) available on the full size aisle and I needed the space. They've never had a problem with it. Be honest and polite about it and I can't imagine you'd be turned down, since you're actually choosing from a class that costs less than what you paid (and they realize this).

Tim

EA report;

Just back and we arrived Oct 11th at 11am. EA loaded. We took a VW bug convertible. Loved that car, I want one. Got in all 4 suitcases, and 2 back packs with 2 people. Yes, it can be done. Also saw: impalas, 3 vw bugs, pt cruisers, G6's, grand prix, a few suv's midsized.

Returned car Oct 28 @ 5pm and check aisle: pretty empty. few midsized cars & g6's, and 2 impalas.

Happy motoring! ****And the sherriff's are out in force on property obey you speed limit. We saw 1 every day. ****

Just got back Sunday night, October 29.

Picked up a car on October 21 at around 10:00a. The Emerald Aisle had several SUVs to choose from. We took a red RAV 4 with 8,000 miles on it. We were very pleased because we had SO much luggage coming home (thanks to the DVC Cruise's free gifts we got in our cabin each day!) :cool1:

Going down, we started out with 4 suitcases, 2 backpacks and a stroller but came home with 6 suitcases, a rolling carry on suitcase, a carry on (strap) bag, and the two backpacks and finally the stroller and they all fit!

There were no Beatles or PT cruisers this time (although they were plentiful when we went the end of August). You just never know what the aisle will have on any given day.

Disneyjosh229 said:
It is really one of those unwritten rules. You should talk to the garage attendent, and usually, with a little bit of kindness, you can get whatever you want. Why not make a EA reservation and if they don't have a van, inquire about paying the upgrade fee to get one (it shouldn't cost you any more).

I was thinking of doing this too.. the difference between a van (ER) and an intermediate on EA is $100.. what's the worst that can happen if I get there and there is not a van on the EA, would they charge me full price? Should I have a counter rental with another place if I can't get a van?

I am going batty with this year's rental, the prices seem so high compared to other times.

mousy_in_canada said:
I was thinking of doing this too.. the difference between a van (ER) and an intermediate on EA is $100.. what's the worst that can happen if I get there and there is not a van on the EA, would they charge me full price? Should I have a counter rental with another place if I can't get a van?

I am going batty with this year's rental, the prices seem so high compared to other times.

Your right in the sense that rental prices are up, mainly due to the increase in travel levels from previous years. That aside, if the EA did not have a Minivan, just walk over to the garage attendent and inquire about the upgrade fee. Usually (Havent rented with National in a while, but Hertz always does this) they will reduce the upgrade fee significantly compared to paying outright (example: this past week at DTW, had a mid sized reserved. Showed up at my #1 Club Gold stall to find a Hyundai Sonata. I really wanted something bigger, so I inquired and was given a brand new Lincolin Town Car for $5 more per day, although this car would have cost me over $55 more per day had I reserved it ahead of time). The mindset that most rental companies opperate is something like this... "Well, I could take an extra $10 per day for this van, or let it sit here for another week before someone takes it...."

I usually pick up luggage on B side and have never seen anything "fancy" on the aisle. Just the normal intermidiate stock.

Do they supply the A side different from B? Does it just depend on the day, luck-of-the-draw etc. for the "fancier" cars?

Just wondering.

wdwcindy

wdwcindy said:
I usually pick up luggage on B side and have never seen anything "fancy" on the aisle. Just the normal intermidiate stock.

Do they supply the A side different from B? Does it just depend on the day, luck-of-the-draw etc. for the "fancier" cars?

Just wondering.

wdwcindy

We have picked from both aisles: A & B. I truely think it just depends what time of day you get there and how lucky you are. We have founds lots of cool cars at nite or morning, or mid day and then the next time nothing but intermediates. We have on occassion went to both sides looking to do better. Sometimes one side is less empty than the other.

We arrived about 3:30 Thanksgiving day. All cars were sold out completely at National- there were plenty on the EA but I guess they were awaiting their renters. We had an intermediate res and the employee was just pulling in a Kia minivan- the only van on the EA- so we grabbed it. We found the heating/cooling controls on this VERY confusing- wish they'd leave the manuals in the glovebox. :confused3

riaesq said:
We arrived about 3:30 Thanksgiving day. All cars were sold out completely at National- there were plenty on the EA but I guess they were awaiting their renters. We had an intermediate res and the employee was just pulling in a Kia minivan- the only van on the EA- so we grabbed it. We found the heating/cooling controls on this VERY confusing- wish they'd leave the manuals in the glovebox. :confused3

They don't leave them because people steal them (WHY do you need to steal this??)

I wish they would have some basic instructions in the glove box. I know the original books would be lifted, but maybe a couple printed pages of the main controls.

My question is, after they take them out of the car, where abouts do they put the manuals? Its not like they have a little cubby that says "car 038943". They must just throw them out or something? I know the last three cars ive rented, from Hertz, two of them still had manuals (A Hyundai Tuscon and a Lincolin Town Car) but the Ford Escape did not...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter