2010 Princess Half Marathon and Flower & Garden Fest Trip!

I am loving your TR!! I will be doing the Princess 1/2 next year and I find your TR very motivating! It is also nice to get a glimpse of what to expect. :banana::banana:

I am amazed at you for doing this :rotfl2::rotfl2:. WOW! My tongue would be dragging the ground and I would have to call 911 after five miles. This is a very interesting trip report. You inspire me to do this one day.

Not to Hijack your TR lol But I just ran 1.5 miles for the 1st time today. :banana::cheer2::dance3: A big deal for me!!!! I am on my way to that 13.1 miles....;) watch out 2012 here I come lololol pixiedust::moped: Can You share the training program you used,if any?

i love all the pics im running my 1st princess 1/2 next feb Thx for the motivation

Hey Bethany!
I just caught up!

I love all the pics of the mile markers- they did NOT have that when I did the half marathon back in '03. So pretty and motivating! I am sure we had mile markers, but nothing so memorable.
That white building you saw before hitting the GF, I think it's a church, used to be a church or will be. I pass it when we head to MK from the back way from my house. I couldn't imagine a church on thier property( as much as you know I would LOVE) , but if you turned right down that street not so far down that road there are subdivisions and apartments.

Anyway- thanks for all the pics- they are great!

Lori

All caught up too Bethany!

As usual, I am enjoying it. I can't wait until school starts to get my walking program started.

Lori, I didn't realize you did the marathon at Disney before. Now that you are a little closer, are you going to do more of them?

I would love to, but I can't leave them by themselves quite yet nor can I shove them in a double jogging stroller to train. Plus, you have to be 16 to do it- so Ashton aspires to do it then and I will do it with her.

When i did it, I raised $3000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society- Team in Training. My trip was paid for for raising the money. In honor of Ashton and all the leukemia fighting kids I knew at the time! I had thier names written all over my shirt.

nope, that white building is a Reedy Creek firestation I think. I saw an engine in it the other day..........
I wanna figure it out before someone tells me.;) haha!

If i do anything, I will do the challenge that Bethany did! half on this coast, half on that coast! I LOVE the medal she got for doing both.

Lori

nope, that white building is a Reedy Creek firestation I think. I saw an engine in it the other day..........
I wanna figure it out before someone tells me.;) haha!

If i do anything, I will do the challenge that Bethany did! half on this coast, half on that coast! I LOVE the medal she got for doing both.

Lori

Fire station makes sense for that building.

I will have to tack that Challenge on to this trip report. My goal was to finish this TR before the trip to Disneyland I just got home from. My stupid computer is not letting me upload photos except ONE at a time. :headache:

I am totally slacking at my job here as Trip Report Author! :headache:

Septemberwas crazy! I did the OTHER half marathon at Disneyland over Labor Day weekend, so I completed the Coast to Coast Challenge! I also bought a house in September! :faint: We hadn't really intended on buying yet, but with the market the way it is, we found something we liked in our price range, so we went for it! We found it on August 29th and we closed on September 30th!

I moved and I can't find my notes from my trip but I have the pictures so I'll post some more pictures and as soon as I find my notes I'm going to get this thing rolling again! I apologize for the delays. I fully intend to have this COMPLETE by the end of the month!

I left off at Mile Marker 10....we are getting to the good parts!

We had to do a cloverleaf interchange between miles 10 and 11. We went under the overpass and around the loop to get up on top. This is a banked curve on a slope....not so much fun!

2459469470106080727Ptkyme_fs-M.jpg

Partway up the loop we saw these guys:
2977403500106080727EUrfoD_fs-M.jpg

View from the top...the people are going towards the loop (behind the trees)
2565784310106080727xtCoYY_fs-M.jpg

We could see where we had come from before we went around the loop, and we took some comfort knowing we were NOT last!
2921476080106080727DHxmYD_fs-M.jpg

There were actually a lot of people behind us. This being my first half marathon, I was very worried about finishing and not getting swept!
2423533880106080727iCBeEi_fs-M.jpg

You can see the Epcot toll plaza to the right in this picture! Proof we are getting closer to the goal!!
2804029470106080727becpeE_fs-M.jpg

Another mile marker sign!!
2070813050106080727GPaqWb_fs-M.jpg

Happy to see you back :goodvibes I am still coming down from my Wine & Dine half marathon experience, so its great to read your TR

Yeaaaaa! I'm glad you've made it back! I love reading your report! It's so neat to compare your experience to mine. I hope you'll be back again soon with more!

Happy to see you back :goodvibes I am still coming down from my Wine & Dine half marathon experience, so its great to read your TR

Thanks!

I did the Disneyland Half in September to complete the Coast to Coast Challenge. That will be another trip report...once this one ever ends! :rotfl: I hope I don't get the two confused. I shouldn't, since I found my notes for the Princess trip! :dance3:

Yeaaaaa! I'm glad you've made it back! I love reading your report! It's so neat to compare your experience to mine. I hope you'll be back again soon with more!

Thanks! Yes, I am going to post another update! I hope to get another one done later this weekend.

Glad to have you back lolol can't wait to hear more!!!!:cool1:

Thanks!

I went back to Google Maps (satellite view!) to try to figure out exactly what streets we were on. I'm having a hard time. :lmao: I know the cloverleaf was from World Drive to Epcot Center Drive. Shortly after the Mile Marker 11 sign, we saw this:

2268432330106080727JJvNbd_fs-M.jpg

We were getting so close!

Standing in median of Epcot Center Drive was this guy:

2398001880106080727oiwEQy_fs-M.jpg

We had seen him earlier in the race, I believe when we passed by him on the way out of Epcot a few hours earlier! I think he was there the whole morning cheering people on! :thumbsup2

After looking closely at the map on Google and my photos, I think we made a pretty sharp turn on the ramp that has a Google label "Walt Disney World Airport" with a fork and knife icon. :confused3

The fairies were along that ramp, and you can see the little bridge in the background. I believe it is the overpass to what Google has labeled "Woodpecker Lane".

2428142600106080727mzfdzZ_fs-M.jpg

It was from a little beyond that overpass where I got this picture:

2666809220106080727neHnRb_fs-M.jpg

The finish line was in the parking lot. The lot is huge, and it was on the other side of the lot. You can't see it in that picture, but you can see the monorail tracks in front of those trees!

I don't recall being able to see the finish line from any point of the race, until it actually came into view at the end. That was a little unnerving. The end had a lot of twists and turns. It kept it interesting, but it was hard to not be able to visually see exactly how much longer we had to go!

We saw this right before we passed under the monorail tracks:

2516144200106080727WPqZMO_fs-M.jpg

I really liked the movie Princess and the Frog and Princess Tiana is one of my favorite Disney Princesses, so I was excited to see them! The band was playing jazz of course! And I liked that the Go! Go! Go! signs were in Mardi Gras colors!

If you're following along on another tab in Google Maps, I think we curved a little towards the closer-to-the-front parking lot at this point. The satellite view is confusing me; I always thought the bus area at Epcot was huge, but it looks really small on the map! I think we ran through it shortly after the Mile Marker 12. I think MM12 was just past the monorail tracks and the canal. In the picture you can see the short barricade along the side of the road. The map picture only has that for a short bit by the canal.

2585735120106080727flfHvM_fs-M.jpg

That means we did an entire 1.1 miles from one part of the Epcot parking lot to the other!

Coming up next: The final stretch, through Epcot!!

After we passed Mile Marker 12, we saw the "golf ball" and it was getting closer!

2874495570106080727BkOIgV_ph-M.jpg

I believe we ran through the bus area for Epcot. We passed this sign:

2521887060106080727VREkfY_fs-M.jpg

It's funny...when I was training in my local park, when I first started, I was so self conscious. I was new and I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong and people would laugh. One of the things I was worried about was all the people that would be watching us at the actual event. The curious thing was that once I was there doing it, I was happy to see all the people. They really are good for your motivation!

We passed this sign as we entered into the backstage area of Epcot behind the Living Seas area:

2401968970106080727lgTVto_fs-M.jpg

I thought about it as we passed it, that it was for Cast Members only. Disney calls their employees Cast Members because of their belief that they are all part of the overall show. While we were not technically cast members that day, we WERE part of the overall show!

If you look at Google Maps satellite view, we took that trail from the bus area to the back of Living Seas, then went alongside the Living Seas on what Google calls "Avenue of the Stars" to enter the "on stage" area near Spaceship Earth. You can even see those blue umbrellas and that tree on satellite view!

2552202530106080727ETLLMi_fs-M.jpg

I just like the way the sun is shining in this picture!

2688579410106080727vDXeSP_fs-M.jpg

We entered Epcot under the awning things. I was getting so excited! It wasn't QUITE as good as running by the castle in the Magic Kingdom, but it was so cool to be back in the parks during the race! And the bonus part of running (I am using that term loosely!) through Epcot is that we knew we were getting SO CLOSE to the finish line!

2826924350106080727MbpGFo_fs-M.jpg

I was thinking how this half marathon thing is very much like college in the sense that you pay for it but are very happy when it's over!

We passed the fountain and went straight back, across that little bridge almost to where those twin gift shops by the lake are. We saw Mickey & Minnie topiaries!

2850123700106080727PGULJo_fs-M.jpg

You can see all the cones in the picture. They had us run down almost to the big lake in the middle of Epcot, only to turn around and run back towards Spaceship Earth! The cones were to keep us from going back the way we came!

2801346400106080727GLNzHW_fs-M.jpg

2036910950106080727kNNqrc_fs-M.jpg

We went back under the awning, and to the right of Spaceship Earth. The weather really was beautiful that day, despite the cold start!

2071407270106080727ysjjNp_fs-M.jpg

THIS was a BEAUTIFUL sign!!

2572817030106080727bYTADJ_fs-M.jpg

But...It's not AS BEAUTIFUL as the next one! A half marathon is 13.1 miles.

When you first sign up, you think "oh, if I do 13 miles, that last .1 shouldn't be too bad!" Hmph. That last .1 sure feels like a LOT longer than .1 when you are full of anticipation!!

We went backstage to the right of Spaceship Earth, between Innoventions and what I believe is a gift shop We followed a curvy path that ran alongside the back of the Universe of Energy. The curves were frustrating because you kept thinking the finish line were around the next curve, but it just kept going!

There was a choir singing along the route. I can't remember what they were singing, but I think The Hallelujah Chorus would have been appropriate!

2130372890106080727EZqYgM_fs-M.jpg

FINALLY, it comes into view!!!

2707636040106080727RpjUTT_fs-M.jpg

Once I finished, I had to stop and turn around to get a good photo!

2250146670106080727soqnFl_fs-M.jpg

The time clocks in the picture say 3:43:34, but that was the clock that was started when the first runner crossed the start line in Corral A. My time was about 15 minutes less than that, based on the electronic tag on my shoe.

Here's a close-up of the Princess Half Marathon Medal from 2010:

2030213820106080727xpmjOz_ph-M.jpg

Up next: What did I do next? How late into evening EMH did I last at the Magic Kingdom?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter