2011 Annual Dues are out

I ran to my mailbox today hoping to find my SSR dues increase - but it wasn't there. SSR?....anyone?....:rolleyes1

Hello:

We own contracts at both Boardwalk and Bay Lake and as I was looking over the budgets of both I have a question that I hope someone here can help me with.....
On the Boardwalk budget there is a line for Sales Tax on Support Facilities which is $341,672....however this is not on the Bay Lake budget at all. Does anyone know what this is for and does any other resorts have this line added to the budget???

Security of Boardwalk is almost double that of Bay Lake ($308867 compared to $156239) why would this be so high??? and another HUGE difference is utilities $1,787,766 at BWV compared to $788,570.....a million dollars...really???

I am sure I am missing something, sure BWV has 102 more units but what else am I missing?

Thanks
dan

Hello:

We own contracts at both Boardwalk and Bay Lake and as I was looking over the budgets of both I have a question that I hope someone here can help me with.....
On the Boardwalk budget there is a line for Sales Tax on Support Facilities which is $341,672....however this is not on the Bay Lake budget at all. Does anyone know what this is for and does any other resorts have this line added to the budget???

Security of Boardwalk is almost double that of Bay Lake ($308867 compared to $156239) why would this be so high??? and another HUGE difference is utilities $1,787,766 at BWV compared to $788,570.....a million dollars...really???

I am sure I am missing something, sure BWV has 102 more units but what else am I missing?

Thanks
dan

I don't own at either of those resorts, but I think some of the utility difference may be simple efficiency in A/C and heat. Maybe a tall high rise is more energy efficient than a more sprawling, resort with less floors? Also, with fewer possible entrances, the high rise maybe is a little more secure by design. Just guessing...but those are big differences.

It could also be that the cash resorts have a difference percentage cash rooms to DVC room ratio...so maybe BWV pays a higher percentage of overall shared resort expenses...again just guessing.

:confused3

Hello:

Thanks
dan

What about transportation? I saw on another thread that transportation at BLT is $2M compared to $1.4M at BWV. BLT seemed high, they must be kicking in alot for the monorail.

For utilities, I would assume BLT is more energy efficient. Not sure about security, there probably isn't alot considering it's a high rise compared to spread out.

I own at 3 resorts (SSR, AKV & BLT). I received budget detail for AKV and BLT - still waiting for SSR.

I track everything and when I was loading in the detail for 2011 I noticed something that was a bit surprising. We all know that the dues are made up of 3 primary components - the operating budget, capital reserves and property taxes. For both AKV and BLT, the operating budget went up by over 14%:scared1:. The massive increase in the operating budget was offset by a decrease of over 20% to the capital reserve component.

I'm going to do a little digging to see what accounts for the majority of the increase to the operating budget and report back tomorrow.

I own at 3 resorts (SSR, AKV & BLT). I received budget detail for AKV and BLT - still waiting for SSR.

I track everything and when I was loading in the detail for 2011 I noticed something that was a bit surprising. We all know that the dues are made up of 3 primary components - the operating budget, capital reserves and property taxes. For both AKV and BLT, the operating budget went up by over 14%:scared1:. The massive increase in the operating budget was offset by a decrease of over 20% to the capital reserve component.

I'm going to do a little digging to see what accounts for the majority of the increase to the operating budget and report back tomorrow.

Wow, that's scarey. Capital reserves pay for future renovations. I'll have to dig up BWV and compare.

BWV:

Operating Budget: 3.639 to 3.7248 = +2.4%
Capital Reserves: .9181 to .9211 = +.3%
Property Taxes: .9498 to .9567 = +.7%

No major change in any of the categories. Housekeeping is down slightly; front desk, maintenance and transportation are up slightly.

I wonder if the increase has something to do with the refurbishment of the studios at BLT?

I wonder if the increase has something to do with the refurbishment of the studios at BLT?

No, it was confirmed that those costs were covered by DVD or the developer, not by the membership or dues.

We own at VGC and received the notice of the annual members meeting today. I was looking through the material and noticed that the "Condominium" consists of 48 Vacation Ownership Units (which are the 46 two bedroom equivalents and 2 Grand Villas) and 203 Hotel Units. :confused3 What on earth are the hotel units and why are their finances, expenses and income included in the statement with the DVC units?

OK, I should probably have read the ownership materials more carefully when purchasing, but this is completely new to me. In some respects this makes sense in that the DVC units are one wing of a new addition to the Grand Californian that does include hotel rooms. In fact if I remember correctly a couple of those hotel rooms are scattered in among the DVC units. Not many, just a couple.

So, what does this mean? Are we paying upkeep on some hotel rooms of the GCH? If there is a dry spell selling hotel rooms, do we, the VGC owners, have to pony up cash in the form of DVC expenses? When someone makes a reservation at the GCH which set of rooms are booked first, the original GCH wings or the "Condominium" hotel units?

Any insights to this would be appreciated.

On the other side of the coin my brothers, our wives and I are leaving in 1 week :yay: for 7 days at AKV!

I am a relatively new member (since 2005). Every time I see the dues for the new year, I get a warm fuzzy. I know I should think, "I'm spending money." But I don't.

Same here :-) For me, the purchase price is a done deal, money spent. Now I basically think "I pay $600 or so a year and get so many days at deluxe resorts out of it"!

MOD: May the item below be returned to its own thread? It doesn't provide a report on 2011 dues and gives new hopes on a topic many tracking: possible return of booking Grand Calif Hotel units on points. (This is an openly discussed rumor by DLR CMs.) Please? Thx!

We own at VGC and received the notice of the annual members meeting today. I was looking through the material and noticed that the "Condominium" consists of 48 Vacation Ownership Units (which are the 46 two bedroom equivalents and 2 Grand Villas) and 203 Hotel Units. :confused3 What on earth are the hotel units and why are their finances, expenses and income included in the statement with the DVC units?

OK, I should probably have read the ownership materials more carefully when purchasing, but this is completely new to me. In some respects this makes sense in that the DVC units are one wing of a new addition to the Grand Californian that does include hotel rooms. In fact if I remember correctly a couple of those hotel rooms are scattered in among the DVC units. Not many, just a couple.

So, what does this mean? Are we paying upkeep on some hotel rooms of the GCH? If there is a dry spell selling hotel rooms, do we, the VGC owners, have to pony up cash in the form of DVC expenses? When someone makes a reservation at the GCH which set of rooms are booked first, the original GCH wings or the "Condominium" hotel units?

On the other side of the coin my brothers, our wives and I are leaving in 1 week :yay: for 7 days at AKV!

Excellent questions.

I'll take a guess...since both AKV and BLT were still in very active sales last year, more units were declared into DVC. If you are looking at the gross figure of operating budget for the entire resort, naturally operating costs would increase as more units are added.

If you look at overall figures, if you are doubling the number of units actually part of DVC, the overall total budget for operating for the resort would also increase.

Excellent questions.

I had read that in the POS for GCV, there was a clause saying that existing hotel rooms could be declared/converted into DVC. This may be part of the reason the point charts are still not out. It would appear that DVC has exercised that option, adding more rooms (and thus more points at the resort for sales) to the DVC portion of the resort. Those rooms should become available as those units are declared into inventory. Similar to the "Inn Rooms" at VB, or SSR adding the treehouses.

I had read that in the POS for GCV, there was a clause saying that existing hotel rooms could be declared/converted into DVC. This may be part of the reason the point charts are still not out. It would appear that DVC has exercised that option, adding more rooms (and thus more points at the resort for sales) to the DVC portion of the resort. Those rooms should become available as those units are declared into inventory. Similar to the "Inn Rooms" at VB, or SSR adding the treehouses.
:banana: I'm hoping this is the case! Please, Santa -- make it so! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter