2018 Princess Half Marathon

First time runDisney participant here! I'm looking for realistic advice regarding reservations/FastPass/park time after the runs. If we are driving our own car, is it possible/realistic to make a park breakfast reservation after the 5K? What time could we expect to realistically be able to be in the parks for FP+ reservations? I don't know how long these events last. Are they completely over (everyone is out of the park) for Epcot's park opening at 9:00am? Are the events even technically in the park? I will be participating in the 5K and 10K. Thanks in advance!

First time runDisney participant here! I'm looking for realistic advice regarding reservations/FastPass/park time after the runs. If we are driving our own car, is it possible/realistic to make a park breakfast reservation after the 5K? What time could we expect to realistically be able to be in the parks for FP+ reservations? I don't know how long these events last. Are they completely over (everyone is out of the park) for Epcot's park opening at 9:00am? Are the events even technically in the park? I will be participating in the 5K and 10K. Thanks in advance!

I participated in the Wine and Dine 10k and I started about 5:45 and was finished around 7 am. I was able to make it back to my room, shower and make it to the MK by 9:05. I've never done a runDisney 5k but I'm sure you'll be able to make it to a breakfast reservation or rope drop with no problem seeing as it's 1/2 of a 10k.

I participated in the Wine and Dine 10k and I started about 5:45 and was finished around 7 am. I was able to make it back to my room, shower and make it to the MK by 9:05. I've never done a runDisney 5k but I'm sure you'll be able to make it to a breakfast reservation or rope drop with no problem seeing as it's 1/2 of a 10k.

Perfect, thank you!

How's everyone's training going? I did 6.5 miles today and I was tough but my pace was on point. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Also did 6.5 miles today. It was hot out there! I think it hit the low 50s during my run? I was in a tank top and cropped leggings - it's been such a long time that it's been over 40 that I had some moments of struggle.

Also did 6.5 miles today. It was hot out there! I think it hit the low 50s during my run? I was in a tank top and cropped leggings - it's been such a long time that it's been over 40 that I had some moments of struggle.

It was in the mid-50s for me too but I think that's perfect running weather. I did have a bit of wind being near the water.

I did 6.5 miles today too--felt okay but feeling a bit overwhelmed about running double that in a couple months! :sad2:

Me too! The furthest I've gone is 7 but I'm trusting the training plan. So far it's been good. Not looking forward to doing 9 miles a few days after christmas! I'm using the plan for intermediates with the goal of finishing in the most upright position.

It took me FOREVER to get over the cold that I came down with during our W&D visit, but I'm starting to feel better now. I was afraid for a while there that it was turning into bronchitis or pneumonia. :crazy2: I officially start PHM training on Tuesday, so thankfully I've been able to take it easy since W&D. The weather here dropped from the mid-50s/low-60s to mid-30s/mid-40s the day after Thanksgiving. It was like Mother Nature said, "Okay, it's winter now!". I don't mind it, though, I love training in the cold MUCH better than training in the heat.

Me too! The furthest I've gone is 7 but I'm trusting the training plan. So far it's been good. Not looking forward to doing 9 miles a few days after christmas! I'm using the plan for intermediates with the goal of finishing in the most upright position.

Yep, that's the exact plan I'm using too!

oh man seeing everyone talk about their 6.5 mile runs is making me feel like a slacker! since I did a 10K for POT last month I've just been doing 2-3 mile runs. but I'm starting a training plan this week!

6.5 today after 4 and a half days of Thanksgiving and fast food, plus temperatures in the 70's resulted in a VERY hard run. Got it done, though.

So first, the 5K and 10K go through EP, but start and end in the parking lot, so all race participants will finish outside of the park. You can turn around and walk back into EP after the race, once the park opens, but you'll need a park ticket to do so. Both races start at 5:30 and the very last runners will start by 6:30, so you'll start sometime within that span of time, depending on what you entered for an estimated finish time (faster times start earlier.) If we assume a 6:30 start and the full 16:00/mile pace allowed, you would be done with the 5K around 7:30am, and the 10K around 8:10am - tack on another 20 minutes for getting medals, taking pics, getting food, etc. and figure you can be walking to your car by 8am for the 5K and 8:30am for the 10K. Plenty of time to get somewhere for breakfast!

How's everyone's training going?
Still working on Dopey for now - I'll think about PHM training in mid-Jan lol!

so does anyone think they can revamp the half course so we still go thru the castle, but also hit 3 parks like they have for the last few half's?

I've been down and out for the last two weeks with back trouble. Finally planning to get on the treadmill after work today to get in three.

My facebook timehop this morning was this year's princess medals. Hopefully we will see the new ones soon. I could use the inspiration.

Fairy Tale Challenge runners following Jeff Galloway's training calendar--quick question!

When the calendar has a Saturday and a Sunday training session, is the Saturday session supposed to be walked only, not run/walk? I read through the info, and it looks like it is a walk, but I just wanted to make sure!

Thanks!!

Fairy Tale Challenge runners following Jeff Galloway's training calendar--quick question!

When the calendar has a Saturday and a Sunday training session, is the Saturday session supposed to be walked only, not run/walk? I read through the info, and it looks like it is a walk, but I just wanted to make sure!

Thanks!!
Per Galloway's rD plan: "On some weekends there is a long walk on Saturday followed by the long run on Sunday—to prepare for race weekend." But my advice is to train as you plan to race: if you plan to walk the 10K on race day, you should walk it in training, too. But if you intend to run-walk, or only run, the 10K, you should train that way, too.

Training is going well. I am following my personal trainers weekly running plans. First time leading up to a rD challenge weekend, as all my other rD weekends I followed the official training plans. I average 5 running days a week. 1 day intervals/speed work, 3 days shorter steady runs (5/6 miles) and 1 long run day. Around 32 miles a week so I think I'll be prepared. just hoping I can make it through running in the winter LOL brrrrr

Per Galloway's rD plan: "On some weekends there is a long walk on Saturday followed by the long run on Sunday—to prepare for race weekend." But my advice is to train as you plan to race: if you plan to walk the 10K on race day, you should walk it in training, too. But if you intend to run-walk, or only run, the 10K, you should train that way, too.

I agree. I always run/walk both days, as I do on race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter