24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

Disney should have at least offered an extra fast pass or something equivalent - would have cost them nothing and went a long way towards a guests satisfaction. It's just good business sense.

I don't think Disney was obligated to offer compensation, however I don't think it would be unreasonable for the OP to ask for something for the inconvenience, nor do I think she would be out of line had she insisted hey try to find a different family to move. I do not think she should wait til checkin though. If she was dissatisfied she should have had that discussion with the CM who called, and on the spot.

OMG That place looks amazing. I would've been bummed not to stay there - but understand why you had to move. My biggest question is....Did you ever go back?
Unfortunately, we haven't, but it is always on our short list. That was one of our last childless vacations - priorities change with the kids as everyone knows. Maine is amazing though - some of the nicest people we've ever met. Go if you can - it's definitely worth it.

We were just scheduled to go to London and stay at the Marriott Residence Inn in a two bedroom suite for three people. The day we left, on our way to the airport, we received an email informing us that the Residence Inn was overbooked, so we were moved to a family room at the Marriott London County Hall, a much better location that is adjacent to the London Eye and within walking distrance of Westminster Abbey. The room was now free because of the change.However, the family room turned out to be a room with two double beds—-not a lot of privacy for my 25 year old son who was stuck listening to my husband snore all night. Ultimately, in addition to comping the room, they gave us 90000 Bonvoy points. I wouldln’t say it was a disaster because they definitely did upgrade the property, but they did give us the room for free because of the inconvenience. Disney doesn’t do that too often.
Nice! I’d call that a massive win.

As for your kiddo; well, ya get what ya pay for. :)

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Disney does reserve the right to move guests as they see fit. And you agree to that when you make your reservation.

If the OP wants to ask for compensation of some kind, go for it. However as you were moved within resort levels, and literally a short walk away, then it really isn't warranted.

By the way, I have been downgraded twice at check in. And one trip the pool slide (the whole reason we had booked a moderate resort) was closed with no notice for our whole stay. So stuff happens, and you were fortunate to get any kind of prior notice.

By the way, I have been downgraded twice at check in. And one trip the pool slide (the whole reason we had booked a moderate resort) was closed with no notice for our whole stay. So stuff happens, and you were fortunate to get any kind of prior notice.
Are you saying you checked in to find you were assigned a room that’s less than you booked? Twice? What’s the story there? Did they offer any explanation or compensation? Usually when a hotel does not have the booked room class available, they’ll upgrade the guest, not the other way around! Yikes!

Personally I would much prefer BC - Boardwalk is lovely but if I had the money BC would always be my choice. (Before I had kids and had money I stayed in most of the Deluxe resorts and BC was my fave!) The pool area is amazing. As others have said definitely call them and say you aren't happy though and give them reasons why (even if its just that BW is your favourite resort). They may be able to offer an alternative resort you are happier with?

Having stayed at BC, YC, BW, and ranking them YC - BC - BW, I would consider the move to BC a win.

Do mind me asking why you rank them that way? We have always stayed at the monorail resorts but are thinking about staying in one of these next summer. It will be a primarily Epcot/HS trip. TIA

What one considers an “upgrade” within the same resort class is really so subjective. You could go round and round with it all day. It just comes down to personal taste. I see plenty of BC fans in this thread and others but it’s my family’s least favorite of the 3 Epcot resorts. We would still stay there though but I would be a bit bummed to be bumped from one of the other two.

We were once moved from the CR to the Poly and upgraded to Club level. We didn't want to switch, and begged for them to move someone else who wanted it, but it wasn't negotiable. I was literally on the phone for six hours talking to different people. (For all those who say tell them to give it so someone else.)

Another time we had a problem during one of our stays, not going to say where or what it was, but it was a huge disappointment to us. We didn't ask for anything, but they made it right in a couple of different ways. We remained respectful when we talked to people. In general we've found we're more likely to have problems resolved at the deluxe resorts than we are at the others.

Oh, and one other thing I've seen on here before is that guests from the Swan and Dolphin have sometimes been moved to some of the other deluxe Epcot resorts, and in turn, guests from other deluxe Epcot resorts have been welcome to use the Swan and Dolphin pools when there were problems with the others. So they reciprocate sometimes, too. popcorn::

Boardwalk to Beach Club is an upgrade

It's not to the OP and it wouldnt be to me either. You might think it's an upgrade but they are different deluxe. As I posted last week it comes down as well to if they had a boardwalk view as personally that's akin to a theme park view and getting place from Baylake Tower to Poly might be an "upgrade" but not if you are in the back of the resort now.

What one considers an “upgrade” within the same resort class is really so subjective. You could go round and round with it all day. It just comes down to personal taste.

Agreed. I was once offered an upgrade to a Contemporary resort tower room from a WL garden view room and I turned it down. I have already stayed at the contemporary and honestly don't care for the theming. I had been looking forward to staying at the WL for years. Luckily, they were able to find me another room.

what would you do at check in when told of major flooding of room repairs had just finished but carpet/flooring was damaged and needed to be replaced? no other room at resort so you are now moving to another resort. happens a lot in hotel business

I am in hotels for 20+ weeks a year and never have had that happen. These are busy major city hotels as well not the local super 8 where only 3 people stay.

If I was on business I can care less but call me or email me ahead of time. Don't wait until I am there.

If I was on vacation I would expect you to inform me the day prior, no fee cancellation if I wanted, and price match my original rate if I booked during a discount for the same rate period type. If I was already there I would expect a night comp'd minimum or an actual upgrade (studio to 1br suite, 2br to villa, reg cat to club level, ect and at the same resort). Moving me from Deluxe to Deluxe doesn't do anything. Having GF cost more doesn't make it an upgrade to me it's just overpriced even more in comparison to other offerings.

Now Disney can get by for way less, I won't complain, and I will deal with it. That being said it would directly reflect in my feedback to those I tell about my vacation and how much business I do with them in the future.

Interesting thread......... From a personal perspective I believe BC is an upgrade but that's purely personal. I also agree the OP should be a bummed.......but based on what we know, which is not much.....any outcome/suggestion offered here is just that a suggestion.....can't go much farther. I've found Disney will be much more accommodating if keep your cool. Getting all pissed off won't make the situation better. We had a problem with the delivery of luggage to our second resort on a split stay......I was upset but kept my cool. I also wasn't looking for anything other than my luggage. In the end Disney hooked me up with a bathing suit so I could swim with my nephew and FP's for our entire group of 6. Yes I was very happy.......but never expected it........which made it even better :)

Doug :goofy:

Are you saying you checked in to find you were assigned a room that’s less than you booked? Twice? What’s the story there? Did they offer any explanation or compensation? Usually when a hotel does not have the booked room class available, they’ll upgrade the guest, not the other way around! Yikes!

Yes. The first time, my sister had checked in before me and told them she was fine with the downgrade, as long as we had connecting rooms.

The second time, I had to whip out my reservation paper and prove to them I had booked a preferred room location. They had showed me my room location on the map, and I had said 'That's not preferred. I booked preferred". And they insisted I had not. Then I was told no preferred rooms were available, and the manager then said there was no other resort they could move me to. They then offered to move me if a room opened up, but as I had the Dining Plan that trip (and didn't want to risk that getting messed up) I told them no. And they took that to mean that they didn't owe me the difference in the room rate, so I had to contact someone when I got home to get that back.:headache:

Yeah, I didn't think Disney would downgrade guests either. But they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter