24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

Hope the OP spoke up about their disappointment. I had something similar happen to me few weeks ago. Got a call that my BC CL room won’t be available due to upgrades going on and was offered YC. After a few phone calls back and forth I decided to take the YC room. I did get a little over 200$ refunded for our 2 night stay..

Initially I had Water view at BC and they tried to put me in std CL room at YC (downgrade). They also tried to justify the cost being the same. That did not fly with me and than I became hostile.

I was not happy how they handled the situation and it wasn’t until I pushed and asked for escalation of my issue is when they started rolling out offers and the Water view room at YC magically became available. . At that point it was too late I was already upset.

Hope the OP spoke up about their disappointment. I had something similar happen to me few weeks ago. Got a call that my BC CL room won’t be available due to upgrades going on and was offered YC. After a few phone calls back and forth I decided to take the YC room. I did get a little over 200$ refunded for our 2 night stay..

Initially I had Water view at BC and they tried to put me in std CL room at YC (downgrade). They also tried to justify the cost being the same. That did not fly with me and than I became hostile.

I was not happy how they handled the situation and it wasn’t until I pushed and asked for escalation of my issue is when they started rolling out offers and the Water view room at YC magically became available. . At that point it was too late I was already upset.

NOT their finest hour.

Ah that makes sense so it be extra useful to print everything before you leave.

Not Disney, but we showed up at the hotel we booked in Ireland once and they couldn't find our reservation. I handed them the printout of my booking confirmation, they got an "oh 💩" look on their faces, but did manage to find me a room. Probably the worst one in the place (there was a wedding there that weekend), but a room. That experience is why I will ALWAYS book direct through hotel websites now and not mess with any discount sites.

I would be upset if I booked a resort and then was told they could not accommodate. Beach Club is my favorite resort BTW but it is
Differently theme than the boardwalk. I think we are willing to spend so much money on a deluxe resort because of location and theming and if they are offering you different theMing than you wanted then I understand your disappointment . At the prices we are paying we should be able to get what we want or chose . I have read that they are transferring club level guests to the yacht club from beach club just two weeks before my arrival date for wifi upgrades. I believe they will be finished before my check in date but if not I really would be a little disappointed if I were moved to yacht club Because it's not what I chose. And I chose beach club for a reason. I don't understand why some posters on this sight are so willing to criticize others for there opinions. This is Disney a happy place not a life and death situation. We need to be nice to each other. I understand wanting to get what u paid for and with 24 hour notice there was very little u could do to change your mind.

I would be upset if I booked a resort and then was told they could not accommodate. Beach Club is my favorite resort BTW but it is
Differently theme than the boardwalk. I think we are willing to spend so much money on a deluxe resort because of location and theming and if they are offering you different theMing than you wanted then I understand your disappointment . At the prices we are paying we should be able to get what we want or chose . I have read that they are transferring club level guests to the yacht club from beach club just two weeks before my arrival date for wifi upgrades. I believe they will be finished before my check in date but if not I really would be a little disappointed if I were moved to yacht club Because it's not what I chose. And I chose beach club for a reason. I don't understand why some posters on this sight are so willing to criticize others for there opinions. This is Disney a happy place not a life and death situation. We need to be nice to each other. I understand wanting to get what u paid for and with 24 hour notice there was very little u could do to change your mind.
I agree with you completely, except for BC vs YC! We prefer YC. We travel a good bit other than Disney and at these prices resorts are earning their price point. They cater and accommodate and in our eyes that’s value. When we started out we were happy with a motel six but at our age we pay for value and convenience. If I have to plan my meals out six months in advance, start even earlier to get the hotel I want, wake up at the crack of dawn to make ADRs and FPs. Then I expect you to hold your end. The fact that their standard happens to be that whichever guest takes the short straw despite the fact that their is most likely someone who would prefer the move is really disheartening to me.

When we stay in a room elsewhere over six hundred dollars a night the staff is so unbelievably accommodating that it’s almost embarrassing. It’s like Disney is training us to believe that less is perfectly acceptable.

The fact that their standard happens to be that whichever guest takes the short straw despite the fact that their is most likely someone who would prefer the move is really disheartening to me.
One thing that people seem to be forgetting is that Disney assigns rooms 3-4 days in advance.

So the OP's room was assigned several days in advance.

One day before check in, that specific room had a maintenance issue had enough to make that specific room uninhabitable.

The natural (first) party to move is the party assigned to that specific room.

Now, the OP got a lot of good advice when they posted. They left the day after this thread started and still have not been back to indicate which action, if any, they took.

I agree with you completely, except for BC vs YC! We prefer YC. We travel a good bit other than Disney and at these prices resorts are earning their price point. They cater and accommodate and in our eyes that’s value. When we started out we were happy with a motel six but at our age we pay for value and convenience. If I have to plan my meals out six months in advance, start even earlier to get the hotel I want, wake up at the crack of dawn to make ADRs and FPs. Then I expect you to hold your end. The fact that their standard happens to be that whichever guest takes the short straw despite the fact that their is most likely someone who would prefer the move is really disheartening to me.

When we stay in a room elsewhere over six hundred dollars a night the staff is so unbelievably accommodating that it’s almost embarrassing. It’s like Disney is training us to believe that less is perfectly acceptable.
This. And based on many comments all over the Dis and on the DVC FB page, it has worked. You can't ever mention anything even slightly negative without getting your head chewed off. Most of us have come to accept, and even embrace, the mediocrity.

I may be wrong, but isn't there something in small print that even with a resort-specific reservation, Disney only guarantees your stay as "on-property"? I know there have been quite a few people that have been downgraded in room category and hotel.

Sorry, this is absurd. What do you want Disney to do? Send a mass email to everyone booked at the hotel asking who WANTS to move? This is how businesses work. It’s not disheartening or unmagical or anything. The room was not rentable. Stuff happens. Life moves on.

You were upgraded. And even if you don't see it as one, it's an "even" trade. Things happen.
It shouldn't be an "even" move though if they were inconveniencing OP? Hotels usually apologize with some sort of upgrade or perk no?

Sorry, this is absurd. What do you want Disney to do? Send a mass email to everyone booked at the hotel asking who WANTS to move? This is how businesses work. It’s not disheartening or unmagical or anything. The room was not rentable. Stuff happens. Life moves on.
It's not absurd you are over reacting lol. OP should get some sort of perk for being inconvenienced. Granted OP should have just asked for a perk when they called them.

It shouldn't be an "even" move though if they were inconveniencing OP? Hotels usually apologize with some sort of upgrade or perk no?
No. Sometimes, for reasons behind the hotel's control, a room isn't inhabitable. Normally, when a hotel walks a guest to a different property, the guest finds out at check in - not the day before the reservation starts.

It's not absurd you are over reacting lol. OP should get some sort of perk for being inconvenienced.
Maybe, maybe not. It's up to the hotel. Apparently Disney considers this an equal or better option.
Granted OP should have just asked for a perk when they called them.
The OP did not know this when they posted. We don't know if they called back to negotiate, or to decline the move. We don't know how they interacted with the BC Front Desk when they checked in. We don't know if they instead went to BW any to demand to stay there, or request compensation.

We. Don't. Know. Because the OP has not been back.

Maybe, maybe not. It's up to the hotel. Apparently Disney considers this an equal or better option.

The OP did not know this when they posted. We don't know if they called back to negotiate, or to decline the move. We don't know how they interacted with the BC Front Desk when they checked in. We don't know if they instead went to BW any to demand to stay there, or request compensation.

We. Don't. Know. Because the OP has not been back.
Dude relax lol. It's not that serious. I say the OP should have asked when they called because they said Disney did not offer any compensation when they were told. I think people on the thread are under the impression they didn't ask when they were told since they said Disney didn't offer anything. I'm not the only one who commented that so not sure why your singling mine out?

Also yea of course Disney considers this an equal or better option. They want to make money lol

It's not absurd you are over reacting lol. OP should get some sort of perk for being inconvenienced. Granted OP should have just asked for a perk when they called them.

I don’t disagree it’s an inconvenience. But to call it disheartening? Miss me with that hyperbole.

You also can’t tell people they’re overreacting when they’re trying to inject some perspective on how a hotel change isn’t the end of the world. Stuff happens. Make some lemonade.

Dude relax lol. It's not that serious. I say the OP should have asked when they called because they said Disney did not offer any compensation when they were told. I think people on the thread are under the impression they didn't ask when they were told since they said Disney didn't offer anything. I'm not the only one who commented that so not sure why your singling mine out?

Also yea of course Disney considers this an equal or better option. They want to make money lol
[/QUOT

In general, BC is more money than the BWI, so I am not sure why you woudl say they want to make more money. They did try to make an equitable move, although the OP may not have thought so, and that is fine, however in the WDW chart of resorts it kind of is.

I have no idea if DIsney made good on this change, but I do not believe that anyone is entitled to a bonu under these circumstances. I do believe people can ask for some sort of recompense, but do not think it needs to be offered upfront.

I say the OP should have asked when they called because they said Disney did not offer any compensation when they were told.
The OP posted after the call ended because they were upset and, "Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in." And they wanted to know if anybody else had the same experience.

People offered suggestions - on negotiating for compensation or refusing the move. It seems the OP wasn't aware they could do this, because they, well, didn't during the initial call.
I think people on the thread are under the impression they didn't ask when they were told since they said Disney didn't offer anything.
That's pretty clear. Unless they omitted, "...so I requested (and got) x, y, and z" from the original post, people very reasonably inferred that they did not.
I'm not the only one who commented that so not sure why your singling mine out?
I've posted a similar response more than once in this thread. I don't pay attention to whom I'm responding. If all my responses have been to a single poster, so be it.

OP, I agree they should have given you something. Even if it was a free sit down dinner at one of their restaurants. You Didn't book the BC, you booked the BW and they changed it. I wonder if you could of said you did not agree to move, what they would of done??? We stayed at the YC and the BC in two different summers. The BW was always a little more expensive when we stayed at those resorts. This was in 2017 and 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter