24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

Yes. The first time, my sister had checked in before me and told them she was fine with the downgrade, as long as we had connecting rooms.

The second time, I had to whip out my reservation paper and prove to them I had booked a preferred room location. They had showed me my room location on the map, and I had said 'That's not preferred. I booked preferred". And they insisted I had not. Then I was told no preferred rooms were available, and the manager then said there was no other resort they could move me to. They then offered to move me if a room opened up, but as I had the Dining Plan that trip (and didn't want to risk that getting messed up) I told them no. And they took that to mean that they didn't owe me the difference in the room rate, so I had to contact someone when I got home to get that back.:headache:

Yeah, I didn't think Disney would downgrade guests either. But they do.

You’re not the only one. We were told at check-in that we were being moved to another resort in the same category but with a standard view. We had booked a water view, and the CM insisted that we had booked a standard view. She relented only when I produced the printout proving I was right. Even in this day and time of smart phones, etc., I learned the importance of traveling with actual paperwork.

Today everything is on MDE. I had to check something on an upcoming reservation last night and everything was right there, including the room category I paid for, and the price. I usually do keep my paperwork on hand, too, though.

Yes. The first time, my sister had checked in before me and told them she was fine with the downgrade, as long as we had connecting rooms.

The second time, I had to whip out my reservation paper and prove to them I had booked a preferred room location. They had showed me my room location on the map, and I had said 'That's not preferred. I booked preferred". And they insisted I had not. Then I was told no preferred rooms were available, and the manager then said there was no other resort they could move me to. They then offered to move me if a room opened up, but as I had the Dining Plan that trip (and didn't want to risk that getting messed up) I told them no. And they took that to mean that they didn't owe me the difference in the room rate, so I had to contact someone when I got home to get that back.:headache:

Yeah, I didn't think Disney would downgrade guests either. But they do.
It’s crazy that that’s happened twice! I understand that things can happen and that being moved to a different room class or another resort may be the only option, but what’s so weird to me is that they don’t seem to be too concerned about making it up to the guest. That seems unusual in the world of resort hotels. I’ll definitely go in prepared (in a friendly way) in case I need to deal with something like this.

I’m curious if anyone has a story of a positive outcome in this situation, where the room they booked was unavailable so they were upgraded or offered something (dining vouchers, FPs) to make up for it.

I received a call from a Disney Cast Member less than 24 hours before my check in time at the Boardwalk Resort informing me that Disney does not have room to accommodate my reservation for 5 due to maintenance issues. They offered a room at the Beach Club Resort during our stay and told us to cross out Boardwalk on our Magical Express luggage tags and write in Beach Club. Normally I wouldn’t complain but Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I'd be one that would consider Beach Club a plus... but I understand the frustration of plans suddenly being disrupted not by your own doing.

You’re not the only one. We were told at check-in that we were being moved to another resort in the same category but with a standard view. We had booked a water view, and the CM insisted that we had booked a standard view. She relented only when I produced the printout proving I was right. Even in this day and time of smart phones, etc., I learned the importance of traveling with actual paperwork.

I always do as well. In July we were charged $500 more than my reservation stated. The concierge who was handling the payment saw an outstanding balance but I knew I had paid all I owed. (We had to pay at in full at the resort, not in advance of the trip) I showed her my confirmation paperwork, she made a call and my balance was gone. My discount that I had secured months in advance never showed up on her screen.

I think you guys are getting entitlement wrong. Entitled would be expecting any kind of upgrade from what you booked. OP was expecting one thing and got another, at the last minute. Some people would love this. OP didn't. To me, good customer service would be giving OP any kind of bonus for their trouble. Switching OP to an equivalent resort is the LEAST they can do.

I don't get the feeling sorry for Disney thing. They make tons of profits every year. OP carefully planned out their vacation and it was suddenly changed at the last minute by Disney.

Disney can throw them some FPs, at the very least.

OP hope you had a good trip.

I have a friend who booked a BW stay for this past Sept. She flew in and went down to ME and when they scanned her band they told her she was at BC. She said nope, and pulled out her print out showing she booked BW. She took ME to BW and went to desk who told her she was booked at BC. Again she had to show print out. They tried to tell her BC was better and talked about the pool. She replied she knew about the pool because she's stayed there before and hadn't stayed at BW yet which is why she booked it this time. They could not give her a BW room. They offered her $150 compensation.

For those of you saying BC is equal or better so OP should just suck it up essentially. What if you have eaten at all the Epcot dining venues and the new Space opens and you book it but when you get there they tell you 'sorry over booked so now you have a resie at Coral Reef...it's also themed nicely, just sea instead of space'. Would you be pleased? Would you just go there and eat and not say anything or expect any compensation?

Last edited:

OP has a right to be upset. Changes less than 24 hours before a check in are unexpected and upsetting. OP wanted Boardwalk. If OP wanted Beach Club he would have booked it. Maybe he doesn't like or want the Beach Club for any number of reasons. Just because some on here like Beach Club and think it's an even swap or an upgrade is irrelevant. Disney should have offered something such as a room upgrade, a free meal or something off the price of the room.

I suggest calling and voicing your displeasure and request something definite in compensation or insist on the room you booked.

I had a similar situation for my solo trip last May. I booked AKL pool view, and got the call a few days before my trip. The rep said that the renovations at AKL were behind schedule so they had to move me, and offered a 1-bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs instead. Cost-wise, this would have been a definite upgrade, but for me personally, not so much.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to tell the phone rep that I had booked AKL pool view specifically because I was a female traveling alone and wanted a more compact resort with a short, indoor walk to my room. I had a couple of late night/after hours events planned and would have been very uncomfortable with the long outdoor walks at Saratoga at night. Also, being a party of one, I didn’t really need a 1-bedroom villa. Note that these concerns were honest, sincere and I was NOT angling for an upgrade. I had been eagerly looking forward to AKL, and had booked the wine tasting and a dinner at Jiko, and at this point was very disappointed about the sudden change.

The rep asked what I would be comfortable with, so I told him something more compact, with interior corridors, without long outdoor walks between buildings. (Basically, any deluxe resort except Saratoga). Again, this was all honest and sincere. After a little while on hold, he came back and said all they could find at short notice was GF, either Sugarloaf CL or Theme Park view. I was a bit stunned and chose Sugarloaf because it is literally right next to the main building and I was comfortable with that walk. I did have to shuffle some dining plans and change my fastpasses and park days so I was at MK on departure day (easier transportation options to catch DME). But things worked out and I had a great trip.

The bottom line is that if you honestly tell Disney your concerns about your resort switch, they will do what is possible to accommodate your needs and make you happy. Also, this was my 25th trip to Disney and the first upgrade I had ever received. Given the magnitude of the pixie dust, I will probably go 25 more trips without another, lol!

I have a friend who booked a BW stay for this past Sept. She flew in and went down to ME and when they scanned her band they told her she was at BC. She said nope, and pulled out her print out showing she booked BW. She took ME to BW and went to desk who told her she was booked at BC. Again she had to show print out. They tried to tell her BC was better and talked about the pool. She replied she knew about the pool because she's stayed there before and hadn't stayed at BW yet which is why she booked it this time. They could not give her a BW room. They offered her $150 compensation.

For those of you saying BC is equal or better so OP should just suck it up essentially. What if you have eaten at all the Epcot dining venues and the new Space opens and you book it but when you get there they tell you 'sorry over booked so now you have a resie at Coral Reef...it's also themed nicely, just sea instead of space'. Would you be pleased? Would you just go there and eat and not say anything or expect any compensation?
To answer your dining question:
No, I do not believe that to be an equal move BUT. I would speak up IMMEDIATELY. I would not silently accept it to the CM and then create an Internet Account to go online and complain as the OP did.
That is a huge difference.

To answer your dining question:
No, I do not believe that to be an equal move BUT. I would speak up IMMEDIATELY. I would not silently accept it to the CM and then create an Internet Account to go online and complain as the OP did.
That is a huge difference.

Now that I’ve read through this thread, if I got a call I didn’t expect out of the blue I might be prepared to voice my displeasure. Otherwise I think I might be completely flabbergasted and not know what to think or even know that these things happen. As many people on here that would have been thrilled with the upgrade it seems like they could find someone else that would have been glad to take it. Reading others experience it seems like they don’t even attempt that.

I had a similar situation for my solo trip last May. I booked AKL pool view, and got the call a few days before my trip. The rep said that the renovations at AKL were behind schedule so they had to move me, and offered a 1-bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs instead. Cost-wise, this would have been a definite upgrade, but for me personally, not so much.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to tell the phone rep that I had booked AKL pool view specifically because I was a female traveling alone and wanted a more compact resort with a short, indoor walk to my room. I had a couple of late night/after hours events planned and would have been very uncomfortable with the long outdoor walks at Saratoga at night. Also, being a party of one, I didn’t really need a 1-bedroom villa. Note that these concerns were honest, sincere and I was NOT angling for an upgrade. I had been eagerly looking forward to AKL, and had booked the wine tasting and a dinner at Jiko, and at this point was very disappointed about the sudden change.

The rep asked what I would be comfortable with, so I told him something more compact, with interior corridors, without long outdoor walks between buildings. (Basically, any deluxe resort except Saratoga). Again, this was all honest and sincere. After a little while on hold, he came back and said all they could find at short notice was GF, either Sugarloaf CL or Theme Park view. I was a bit stunned and chose Sugarloaf because it is literally right next to the main building and I was comfortable with that walk. I did have to shuffle some dining plans and change my fastpasses and park days so I was at MK on departure day (easier transportation options to catch DME). But things worked out and I had a great trip.

The bottom line is that if you honestly tell Disney your concerns about your resort switch, they will do what is possible to accommodate your needs and make you happy. Also, this was my 25th trip to Disney and the first upgrade I had ever received. Given the magnitude of the pixie dust, I will probably go 25 more trips without another, lol!

I think if they’d said “short notice “ I’d have lost my mind! It wasn’t short notice on your part but theirs! Glad it worked out well for you! Before reading this thread I guess I didn’t realize that moving people to other resorts was even an option!

Nah I have all of that saved in email and screenshots. First thing I do when booking anything anywhere is screenshot the reservation screen as well as verify the email comes in with confirmation that includes all the relevant information (dates, location, room type, people, price).

I would never travel with actual paperwork because what happens if you lose the paperwork? My email is accessible from anywhere including from a business center if for some reason everyone loses their phones, ipads, and laptops.

I think you guys are getting entitlement wrong.

Completely agree if people are calling the OP entitled. I see it all the time in forums when in reality the person pointing out an issue is simply expecting good customer service or a good product.

Nah I have all of that saved in email and screenshots. First thing I do when booking anything anywhere is screenshot the reservation screen as well as verify the email comes in with confirmation that includes all the relevant information (dates, location, room type, people, price).

I would never travel with actual paperwork because what happens if you lose the paperwork? My email is accessible from anywhere including from a business center if for some reason everyone loses their phones, ipads, and laptops.

Completely agree if people are calling the OP entitled. I see it all the time in forums when in reality the person pointing out an issue is simply expecting good customer service or a good product.

Only an actual piece of paper got this particular CM’s attention, not the email accessed on the phone or MDE. But as with all things Disney, YMMV.

To me, good customer service would be giving OP any kind of bonus for their trouble.
Maybe they did. OP posted following the initial call and hasn't been back.
Switching OP to an equivalent resort is the LEAST they can do.
No. The very least they could do is let the OP arrive to be greeted by, "Too bad, so sad, no rooms left. Good luck".
What if you have eaten at all the Epcot dining venues and the new Space opens and you book it but when you get there they tell you 'sorry over booked so now you have a resie at Coral Reef...it's also themed nicely, just sea instead of space'.
Maintenance issues are very different from overbooking.
I suggest calling and voicing your displeasure and request something definite in compensation or insist on the room you booked.
Again, OP arrived last Thursday. Never came back Wednesday night to update. Entirely possible they worked out a compensation, or even called back to decline the move.If

Disney did a bait & switch (though probably not intentionally), so now it's their responsibility to make it right.
People use bait and switch as a catch all. This was not a bait and switch situation. Frustrating, inconvenient, upsetting (if they had their heart set on the original resort) but not bait and switch :)

OP I hope you had a good trip. I can certainly understand the frustration. Most people tend to pick their resorts for a reason and you probably did too. Not a whole lot you can do though nor can they do if they couldn't accommodate your reservation. Someone was going to be picked. Hopefully when you checked in you got at least a comparable room to what your original room was though the view may not exactly be comparable given the two different resorts.

As for the Marriott comment it's kinda a catch 22. Hotel companies with reward programs can have more to lose when it comes to decisions they need to make. On the other hand it can work the opposite in that they see it as "oh well" too. For Disney they don't have a rewards program. Bending over backwards to appease a hotel guest may not yield them anything in the future. That said the type of company that Disney is they tend to be fairly good on the customer service front.

I agree with others that it's more they were hoping what compensation you were wanting. Was it FPs? Was it a credit to your bill or gift cards, etc? Maybe you weren't truly hoping for a specific thing but were thinking Disney would just automatically put forth something. I get that and I don't necessarily think that makes you entitled though it can depending on how one goes about it. The short notice sucks and at the risk of sounding a certain way at least you knew before you got to the front desk (which I feel is more common though speaking general there) because that might have been different sort of conversation to be had.

I received a call from a Disney Cast Member less than 24 hours before my check in time at the Boardwalk Resort informing me that Disney does not have room to accommodate my reservation for 5 due to maintenance issues. They offered a room at the Beach Club Resort during our stay and told us to cross out Boardwalk on our Magical Express luggage tags and write in Beach Club. Normally I wouldn’t complain but Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I'd definitely call it an upgrade. The rooms at Beach Club are definitely more expensive, and the pool is awesome. But your mileage may vary and you may not feel it was an upgrade. Even if you express your disappointment in a kind, but sad manner at the front desk, I'd bet the cast member does something to help cheer you up.

Last edited:
Maybe they did. OP posted following the initial call and hasn't been back.

No. The very least they could do is let the OP arrive to be greeted by, "Too bad, so sad, no rooms left. Good luck".

Yes, I know, and...

what are you talking about :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter