5'1" 375 worried momma

JenBeck3551

Earning My Ears
I keep seeing that there is a pooh sized forum but I can't seem to find it. Last time I went to Disney I was around 270 and rode everything with no issues. That was 15 years and 100 lbs lighter. Taking my 8 & 5 year olds for the first time and I want this to be the best vacation ever for them. They are used to me not being able to ride things at fairs with them. Their dad always has to ride with them. Can someone please reassure me that I'll at least be able to enjoy a few things with them????

I would think there are many rides you can do and I am sure there are others you won't be able to. I would think Winnie the Pooh (no pun intended as I am not exactly thin but day one on the treadmill was today, and i just went to TJ max and saw a purse I want for $130 and I told my self if I get below 200 I will buy it...35 lbs to go! Sorry that was OT), other rides like the haunted mansion, pirates, spaceship earth. Don't forget there are shows as well.

I don't know about splash mountain or roller coasters that require a bar of you to share with someone next to you, fast rides, not the safety bar from fantasyland rides.

I am thinking the WISH board might help you.

Hello. I agree with monorailsilver, there will be some rides you will be able to enjoy and then some rides that you may have to sit out. I'm 5'5 and weigh 250 and I have a problem with seven dwarves mine train myself. But I wouldn't worry there will be some rides to you enjoy as a family, but anything with a bar, you may want to ride with your husband and let the kids enjoy the rides together. That would be my suggestion.

I am 5' 4" and 325. Size 28 pants. The only thing I have encountered at Disney that I cannot ride is 7D mine train. I CAN get in it, but the lap bar is too painful on the sides of my knees. Barnstormer is a little tight, as is IASM and POTC because of the space for my legs between rows but they are not uncomfortable to the point I wouldn't ride. I have never tried astro orbiter because I am afraid of heights. Disney is VERY size friendly. Typically wide is not as big an issue as tall. You should be able to ride almost anything. If it is just the 3 of you, you can ride with the 5 year old and the 8 year old can ride alone. I worried about shared lap bars when CP was small, but it is a non issue. All Disney rides are safe with riders of various sizes.

I am 5' 4" and 325. Size 28 pants. The only thing I have encountered at Disney that I cannot ride is 7D mine train. I CAN get in it, but the lap bar is too painful on the sides of my knees. Barnstormer is a little tight, as is IASM and POTC because of the space for my legs between rows but they are not uncomfortable to the point I wouldn't ride. I have never tried astro orbiter because I am afraid of heights. Disney is VERY size friendly. Typically wide is not as big an issue as tall. You should be able to ride almost anything. If it is just the 3 of you, you can ride with the 5 year old and the 8 year old can ride alone. I worried about shared lap bars when CP was small, but it is a non issue. All Disney rides are safe with riders of various sizes.

OMGosh barnstormer. That is tight! I know I rode it with one of my kids when I was 25 lbs lighter and I seriously felt like I was squishing them.

And I think my DH and I rode it before we got married and I was roughly 140-160 and he was 180-200 and yowzas we were squished.

This is now my inspiration (and to get my DH on the bandwagon) to lose the weight or some of it so I can sit comfortably on 7D. I haven't been on, they were building it the last time I went.

For IASW and Pirates ask for the front row. The shape of the boat makes the front middle seats have a little more room. Same for Frozen Ever After if you haven't been on that one.

OP off the top of my head Astro Orbiter you would have to ride alone if at all, 7DMT is most likely a no. You may or may not have trouble with RcR at DHS or Everest at DAK. Those don't typically cause issues but there is always a possibility.

Another advice a lot of people will give is pull the seatbelt all the way out before you sit down on rides that have a seat belt. That will allow you to better position yourself with out having to try and stretch the seat belt (seat belt burn form pulling it is no fun).

One of my favorite memories of WDW with my DW who I miss so much was that we actually rode Dumbo together. While I couldn't be sure of sizes that many years ago, I am sure I was at least 250 and she was larger than me. There was no question of our being able to ride--but we weren't sure we could ride together. We did, and it is a wonderful memory for me. I have never had a problem at WDW due to size. She had trouble getting down into the ride at Astro Orbiter, which we planned to ride separately. I don't remember any other size issues for either of us. Of course SDMT which some others mentioned wasn't there the last time we were.

OP off the top of my head Astro Orbiter you would have to ride alone if at all, 7DMT is most likely a no. You may or may not have trouble with RcR at DHS or Everest at DAK. Those don't typically cause issues but there is always a possibility.

RcR, Everest and other rides have a 'test' vehicle around the corner and out of the way so you can test to see if you fit before actually waiting in line. If you ask the CMs they can point you towards them.

I htink that you will be fine for all of the attractive minus a very few. Mine Train is tough. I think maybe Space Mountain too. My DD can ride even EE. SHe never tried RnR though, so I dont know about that one.

I can't be of much help with rides but wanted to reassure you that your kids will have a great trip. WDW is so much more than rides....fireworks, parades, character meets, and more. Your kids will love being with mom and nothing more matters. I've had a couple great trips with our kids while pregnant with their siblings. No, I couldn't ride everything but we had a wonderful trip. Enjoy!!!

I'm 5'8" and somewhere in the neighborhood of 300lbs (I don't know for sure - don't own a scale!). I wear a size 24 - sometimes 26 depending on the clothes and the day! - and have yet to find an attraction at WDW that I could not enjoy. 7DMT was a tiny bit tight on my knees, but still very doable. Astro orbiter may or may not work - I haven't been on it lately but my hubby took our daughter on it back in 2014 when he weighed somewhere around 350. The two of us fit quite comfortably in RnR. There are so many rides with bench-type seats that you really will be able to enjoy yourself, I promise! If anything, some of the attractions with theater seats might be annoying (Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic, HoP, Muppets 3D) because of the arm rests, but still doable.

To ease your mind, I went back and found some ride pics of my Pooh-sized hubby and I enjoying ourselves in WDW. The photographic evidence speaks volumes! For reference, I'm 5'8" and approx 300lbs, hubby is the same height and somewhere in the 350-360 range in these photos.

Us on 7DMT - we are the Pooh-sized people in the superhero shirts (and that's my bro in the car behind us - a regular-sized fellow, about 5'11"):
1410670_10152826936818223_5868843669918883371_o.jpg

Here we are on RnR (not a flattering face on either of us, but look how comfortably we fit!)
10704361_10152826961153223_6436735281046449664_o.jpg

Space Mountain Take one with me in front:
10649080_10152826926138223_7169936159709971267_o.jpg

Space Mountain Take two, me in the back this time:
10365328_10152826961043223_7191190755411330610_o.jpg

Here we are on Expedition Everest - also a very comfy fit!
1932682_10152826925613223_2188393927423266986_o.jpg

My brother, me, and my husband in the back row on Test Track.
10679944_10152826934983223_6936785169461390865_o.jpg

If anything, some of the attractions with theater seats might be annoying (Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic, HoP, Muppets 3D) because of the arm rests, but still doable.

The trick with the Theater seats with arm rests is to sit on the front edge of the seat and then slide back, it is a little bit better than sitting straight down and getting more pinched between the arm rests.

I keep seeing that there is a pooh sized forum but I can't seem to find it. Last time I went to Disney I was around 270 and rode everything with no issues. That was 15 years and 100 lbs lighter. Taking my 8 & 5 year olds for the first time and I want this to be the best vacation ever for them. They are used to me not being able to ride things at fairs with them. Their dad always has to ride with them. Can someone please reassure me that I'll at least be able to enjoy a few things with them????
Even if you are unable to ride one single ride/attraction (which you will be), the walks to the attractions, the meals, the parades, the shopping...etc, will more than make up for the few things you may have to skip.
Focus on the fun and excitement!!!:earboy2:

Hey everybody!!! Just wanted to say thanks for all the info!!! Just got back yesterday and I was able to ride everything I tried!!!! Thunder Mountain, Everest, everything!!! Only thing I didn't try was Rockin Roller Coaster. Line was way too long. Also Mine Train. My daughter was completely done for the day when it was our fastpass time slot for mine train. She didn't want to ride so I sat that one out with her. Can't wait to go back!!!!

That's awesome! Seriously, this is one of the things I most appreciate about Disney. I'm so glad you were able to ride everything! :D

hi all am off in a month and a guy 5'7 nd good 300lbs with a 54 inch chest and 52 inch waist and worried about the rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter