A Dining Pre-Trip Report? Sure! LIVE report now completed!

slk537

<font color=red>Sigh...other than WDW, if I could
Next Friday, we'll be flying south to WDW for 10 days of fun in the (blisteringly hot and humid) sun!

I love live reports. I really loved MickeyNicki's recent report and another one a poster had up about a year ago. There is something about hearing about someone's next review that is coming, but hasn't happened yet that let's me take a little mini vacation along with them. So I am super excited about having free internet in our room for the whole trip, so I can download photos and post reviews on our down time. DH and DS are used to photos of food, so they are thinking the live report could be a lot of fun. On our trips, I usually keep notes in a file on the computer every day anyway, so why not post as I go?

This trip will be unusual for us because we are not traveling alone in our little family of three, as we usually do. This trip we will be joined by my brother (DB), his wife (DSIL), my nephew (DNep), my niece (DNee), my dad (DDd) and his wife (DSM – Dear StepMommy). We are all at separate resorts and will be joining each other for some ADR’s and doing others separately. I have warned my extended family that I have a cuisine setting on my camera and I am determined to use it so they should be prepared for the blinding flash right before they eat. We shall see how well that goes over…

So....the cast of people:

DS: Loves macaroni and cheese, fresh fruit of nearly all kinds (especially watermelon), bacon and sausage, cereal in individual boxes, corn bread, broccoli (honest!), vanilla ice cream, Mickey bars and ice cream sandwiches, root beer, steak, yogurt and any kind of sugary candy whatsoever. When it comes to candy, he does not discriminate. Does not like interesting foods his mom thinks he would enjoy, apricots :confused3 , butter on his pancakes :confused3 , melted cheese on anything other than pizza, spices, anything that looks like it might be something he doesn't recognize and mustard.

DH: Loves barbecue of all kinds, steaks, green beans, Oreo bon bons from Cape May, turkey legs, Mountain Dew/Coke/Sprite, greasy cheeseburgers and melty sandwiches, Caesar salads, french fries, sorbets, lemonade (frozen or otherwise) and all possible fruits, except apricots :confused3 . Also does not like interesting foods his DW believes he should try (example: "hummus"), ethnic foods other than Italian, Mexican or Asian (just trying to get him to stop in Morocco long enough to consider ordering anything is a miracle), Boma :sad2: , diet beverages, and most seafood, unless it is considered shellfish or comes deep fried in a beer batter.

Me (Mom and DW): Loves Boma, avocados, hummus, iced coffee beverages, dips and sauces of all kinds, steak, chicken Caesar salads, diet coke, grocery store birthday cake with sprinkles, desserts of all kinds with a preference for fruit and cream rather than chocolate, mojitos – original and otherwise, potato salad, and trying new things. Doesn’t like most seafood, unless it is considered shellfish or comes deep fried in a beer batter, anything too sweet, most candy that doesn’t involve chocolate, non diet soda, bread that isn’t fresh anymore, and any kind of egg that isn’t hard boiled or dry scrambled.

We love food, but we are not the kind of family who will be shocking anyone with the avant garde cuisine we’ll be eating. ;)

And the Supporting Cast (we usually grill out and have picnics or holiday dinners together, so I can’t be quite as specific as to their likes and dislikes, but here goes a brief summary):

DB: Loves steak and potatoes, big breakfasts, drinks from the Poly Barefoot Bar, desserts, and according to my DSIL, is willing to try some new things on this trip. Is a former bartender, so he can mix a mean drink with the best of them and makes the best Mojito I've had outside WDW.

DSIL: Loves the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, the same drinks from the Poly, and is willing to try some new things.

DNep: A Disney “adult” for the first time at the ripe age of 10, he loves steak (a LOT) and will be very happy getting to order from the adult menu. Didn’t used to like ice cream, but has now decided that chocolate overload types of ice cream are heaven on earth.

DNee: At 8 years old, she is looking forward to the Grand Floridian Tea (following Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique) and has a sweet tooth the size of Wisconsin. Along with her mom and brother, she has a weakness for anything combining chocolate and peanut butter.

DDd: You basic meat and potatoes man. Does enjoy fish as well, and does not like sauces or dips (“if the food is good, it shouldn’t need anything else”). Is willing to try some new things (according to DSM), and is the hereditary originator of all our sweet teeth in the family.

DSM: Likes a large variety of things, enjoys tea. The newest member of our family, she is very open minded to enjoying a family vacation and all the new restaurants and experiences that go along with it.

Next up....where are we going?

We all have different arrival dates – DH, DS and I will be starting our vacation this Thursday and flying down to WDW on Friday. DB and his family will arrive Sunday, and DDd and DSM will come down Tuesday. My family will come home Monday the 28th, and the other two will depart the next day.

ADR’s were a fun challenge for this overplanner. I talked to everyone about places they wanted to try and things they enjoyed eating and finally made a list. We have some ADR’s together and some in different groups so hopefully I have everything covered.

So here is The List for my family of three (guaranteed photos):

In no particular order:

Cape May Cafe
Spoodles - dinner
Boma
Spoodles (breakfast)
The Wave
Tutto Italia
'Ohana
Yachtsman Steakhouse (date night!)
Grand Floridian Tea
Kona Cafe - breakfast
Le Cellier
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Coral Reef
Beaches and Cream (not an ADR, but GOING to happen!)

For the rest of my family:

Kona Cafe - dinner
Cape May Cafe
Artist Point
ESPN or Big River Grille
Spoodles
1900 Park Fare
Grand Floridian Cafe
Princess Storybook breakfast
Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dinner Package

We are all on the basic DDP, but DH and I have the DDE card as well so we plan to have some OOP meal for breakfast and possibly dinner.

We're staying at the BCV's, so I know there will be some more Beaches and Cream, Hurricane Hannah's, and Beach Club Marketplace.

DB and fam are at the Poly, so Captain Cook's will be included.

DDd and DSM are at VWL, so Roaring Fork (an old favorite) will be revisited, if only for DS and I to snag a couple sprinkle cupcakes.

Also likely/possible:
Aloha Isle
Flame Tree BBQ
Yak and Yeti CS
Starring Rolls Cafe
Sunshine Seasons
Boulangerie Patisserie
Kringla Bakeri og Cafe
Kaki Gori
Yorkshire County Fish Shop
Casey's Corner
Auntie Gravity's
Main Street Bake Shop
Pinnochio Village Haus
Mara
Boardwalk Bakery
Seashore Sweets
Artist Palette
Earl of Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck Express
Ghirardelli

And any number of other places we may come along. I suspect that my eyes are way bigger than my stomach right now, since it is a gorgeous day in Wisconsin with no heat or humidity to speak of. Once we get into the tropical Florida weather, our appetites may dwindle, but never fear! We shall persevere!

We're also not a big drinking family (DH and I) when we're alone, but I suspect we may encounter a few more lounges on this trip when there are 6 adults instead of two (obviously not counting my DNep as an adult, even though WDW does :rotfl: ).

So if you have any menu requests, questions or comments you want answered live, let me know! I love DISing and I love our WDW trips and I can't wait to combine them!

Jenn.

OMIGOD I am so in! I have never read a LIVE report before, except my own! :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Have an awesome time and I cannot wait to hear all about it, is it ok if I live through you?! :lovestruc :worship: :laughing:

Sounds like fun! I'm in!! Looking forward to hearing all about it. I'm going to many of the same restaurants in Oct so can't wait to hear what you think. I'm also an avocado lover so if you run into any special dishes, let me know!!

popcorn::

So if you have any menu requests, questions or comments you want answered live, let me know!

Thanks for doing this! I am specifically interested in Ohana's and how the 10 year old likes it. DS is 11 and we will be going there in August. I'm afraid he won't be much into the "entertainment" as he is a bit older. I'm not so worried about the food since we live in the SF Bay Area and he tries *lots* of different foods. Of course, he will revert to mac 'n cheese or nuggets if given the chance. :rotfl:

Also, if you make it to Flame Tree--how are the ribs. And what is the selection of items like at Yak and Yeti.

Much appreciated!:worship: And anxiously awaiting your report. :surfweb:

I'm in! This is exactly what I need!!! I have to make my ADRs on the 25th (assuming policy doesn't change) so the timing is perfect and your choices are some of the things I'm considering and some I might need to. And it's so great that you have so many people's food to photograph, not to mention the cuisine setting on your camera!

You'll be reviewing the counter service places too, right? It's hard to find as much info about CS restaurants. If the DDP changes too much for 2009, we may not do it and therefore will need to eat more CS.

I'm so glad to be in on this at the beginning. I read MickeyNicki's reports (Hi MickeyNicki :wave2: ), but not live. It'll be so fun feeling like I'm there, seeing as I still have over six months to wait!

Can't wait to start, have a great trip!

Two requests if you don't mind...

1) Garden Tea Lounge - Are all the place setting the same china pattern? I believe I read old English Rose. Tea with mom has been special since I was old enough to join the grown ups at special meals. On the first day of my trip we are doing tea... on the last day I am planing on getting on tea cup (off ebay) to present at dinner with a belated mothers day card (loong story but I forgot to mail it and it takes 10 days snail mail so I made a phone call). I

2) Curious on the various soups with accompiemnts at The Wave. I heard tomato and grilled cheese and carrot and something. These are somewhat inspiring appetizers to me.

Have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter