Adult with “kid food” diet

My 19 year old son is a picky eater. On the occasion he tries something new, he usually doesn’t like it. He has a very sensitive taste pallet. He does eat more than the OPs relative, and can always find something on a restaurant menu to eat, but it’s always chicken.

However he is very adventurous and not afraid of new experiences. So that comparison doesn’t always hold water.

Good for your teenage son. I'm glad that doesn't hold him back.

This thread isn't about a "barely an adult". It is about a grown man. And I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying I absolutely would think that someone who refuses to expand beyond toddler food is not someone who not be likely to dip their toes in unknown water. Again, not saying I'm right, just what my initial impression would be.

I have an older adult friend like that. It’s not “kids food”, but it’s the stuff she ate as a kid in meals. She’ll eat turkey, for example, baked, without much seasoning at all with mashed potatoes and green beans. Lettuce salad with no dressing.
There are a few other things, but not much, and NOTHING with flavor or seasonings added. She loves bland, boring food. No fish/shellfish/etc.

We did fine as travel companions in Germany, but not in other places.

Surprisingly, she got something at Satuli’s Canteen for lunch the other day, a gluten-free something bowl with a protein (maybe chicken?) and liked it. She did leave off the dressing. I suspect that she was very hungry, and that’s where I went in so she may have been stuck- but she ordered and enjoyed it.

For many people who voluntarily limit their diets, texture is often a huge issue. Many people consider me a very picky eater because I won't touch salads, but that's a texture issue. I also eat a lot of things that many "normal eaters" won't touch (organ meats, for instance.) Either way, I choose from what is available that I'm comfortable eating, and I don't whine about what isn't there. If there is nothing I can stomach, then I politely fake not being hungry and make myself something later, when I'm alone. I'm an adult, and what I eat or do not eat is up to me alone. If you like to cook, then cook -- it isn't anyone else's responsibility to cater to my limitations.

Dietary limitations also tend to go hand in hand with the autism spectrum; almost everyone who is on the spectrum will limit diet in some way, most often due to texture or odor. Also, sticking with the "safe" when eating in front of strangers is often a defensive action for people who are socially awkward; they don't want to have to deal with possibly embarrassing themselves if confronted with something that they will not know how to properly eat. If you eat familiar foods in such circumstances, you are free to concentrate on other parts of the interaction.

FWIW, my DS22 once ate something new at an extended family holiday dinner, and it disagreed with him -- violently. He was 10 at the time, and he made a mess that distressed everyone quite a bit. Guess what he will no longer do at a formal dinner? That's right, eat ANY unfamiliar food. Twelve years later, that humiliation has stuck with him, and he will not take a chance on a similar incident ever happening again.

I think it's rather bizarre to extrapolate that just on the basis of one "childish" meal (your implication, not mine), that a person must be childish or timid in all aspects of life. I really think that's taking if-then reasoning a wee bit far.

Last edited:

If people know what they like why be so pretentious to tell them they are wrong? What are they hurting? People get anxiety over foods or have severe reactions to them. I literally cannot eat pickles without vomiting immediately afterwards. I was forced in school to “try” them and literally puked all over a lunch room. Just the scent can make me gag, I can’t control it. I would like to be more adventurous but have learned it can easily ruin my evening quickly.

Turns out my DH has a number of foods he won't eat but he was at least smart enough not to let me know it before we were married. He'd politely eat anything and compliment me for having prepared it. Once the knot was tied he got much more vocal about what he wanted and what he didn't. It's a bit of a drag but over time I've just adapted our menus - no use bothering to shop and cook if he's not going to enjoy it. His preferences aren't anywhere near as restrictive as many that are mentioned here.

Turns out my DH has a number of foods he won't eat but he was at least smart enough not to let me know it before we were married. He'd politely eat anything and compliment me for having prepared it. Once the knot was tied he got much more vocal about what he wanted and what he didn't. It's a bit of a drag but over time I've just adapted our menus - no use bothering to shop and cook if he's not going to enjoy it. His preferences aren't anywhere near as restrictive as many that are mentioned here.

I think we all have things we won't eat. Me? I don't like tomatoes, oysters or mushrooms. I will eat them in things, but not by themselves.

DH doesn't eat eggs or ham.

Everyone has hang ups. There is a huge difference between having hangups, or a limited selection of foods you like and existing on chicken tenders, Mac & cheese, and steak, etc.

My comments were directed at someone that limited and I sincerely apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone else as that was not my intent.

For many people who voluntarily limit their diets, texture is often a huge issue. Many people consider me a very picky eater because I won't touch salads, but that's a texture issue. I also eat a lot of things that many "normal eaters" won't touch (organ meats, for instance.) Either way, I choose from what is available that I'm comfortable eating, and I don't whine about what isn't there. If there is nothing I can stomach, then I politely fake not being hungry and make myself something later, when I'm alone. I'm an adult, and what I eat or do not eat is up to me alone. If you like to cook, then cook -- it isn't anyone else's responsibility to cater to my limitations.

Dietary limitations also tend to go hand in hand with the autism spectrum; almost everyone who is on the spectrum will limit diet in some way, most often due to texture or odor. Also, sticking with the "safe" when eating in front of strangers is often a defensive action for people who are socially awkward; they don't want to have to deal with possibly embarrassing themselves if confronted with something that they will not know how to properly eat. If you eat familiar foods in such circumstances, you are free to concentrate on other parts of the interaction.

FWIW, my DS22 once ate something new at an extended family holiday dinner, and it disagreed with him -- violently. He was 10 at the time, and he made a mess that distressed everyone quite a bit. Guess what he will no longer do at a formal dinner? That's right, eat ANY unfamiliar food. Twelve years later, that humiliation has stuck with him, and he will not take a chance on a similar incident ever happening again.

I think it's rather bizarre to extrapolate that just on the basis of one "childish" meal (your implication, not mine), that a person must be childish or timid in all aspects of life. I really think that's taking if-then reasoning a wee bit far.
I’m not like OP described & eat a pretty good variety of foods and cuisines. But, I cannot stand most fruits & I will not try anything with fruit especially not in front of anyone b/c it wouldn’t end well.

If people know what they like why be so pretentious to tell them they are wrong? What are they hurting? People get anxiety over foods or have severe reactions to them. I literally cannot eat pickles without vomiting immediately afterwards. I was forced in school to “try” them and literally puked all over a lunch room. Just the scent can make me gag, I can’t control it. I would like to be more adventurous but have learned it can easily ruin my evening quickly.

Gotta agree with this. I have certain digestion issues and I know which foods are "safe". If you want to judge me for not being an adventurous eater , then you should have to stay in the bathroom with me later.

For me, dating or marrying a picky eater would not work long term. I like to cook and I like to eat. I like homemade real food. My mom was an excellent cook and I am admittedly a bit of a food snob. Lots of fruits, vegetables, types of fish, different spices, etc.

My husband and I cook together on weekends, take turns cooking during the week and food is an important part of our Italian culture.

Only eating macaroni and cheese from a box or frozen chicken fingers would not be part of this.

Im with you. My kids are picky. I was picky too. It’s not hurting anyone. It doesn’t affect anyone but the person eating. Life goes on

I think we all have things we won't eat. Me? I don't like tomatoes, oysters or mushrooms. I will eat them in things, but not by themselves.

DH doesn't eat eggs or ham.

Everyone has hang ups. There is a huge difference between having hangups, or a limited selection of foods you like and existing on chicken tenders, Mac & cheese, and steak, etc.

My comments were directed at someone that limited and I sincerely apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone else as that was not my intent.
Offended? Not me, not at all. I'm just enjoying the discussion. FTR, I don't care what people eat either, besides those I'm responsible for feeding. ;)

My dh and the kids are all picky. They are picky with regards to different things. Dh won’t eat any fruit or vegetables except corn on the cob and potatoes. For him it’s a texture issue. He also doesn’t like condiments on burgers. It’s always meat, cheese and bun. Tomato sauce can’t be the chunky kind. It’s really frustrating to meal plan.

With my friend the only reason I care is because she’s all “holier than thou” about some of it. She is doing intermittent fasting, and bulletproof coffee and her eating hours are 11A-7Pm.

Like many other people who justify their eating habits (paleo, vegan, low fat, hi-protein, whatever) by putting others down, that’s what this picky eater did to me.

No food before 11 AM except buttered coffee, an entire container of nuts at noon, three beers, at least one Dole Whip, another ice cream, turkey dinner, etc at GG- and preached to me about how I should not drink a beer after 7 PM because I had a piece of cheese to start my day at 10:30 AM and that is “not good for you to eat more than in an 8 hour window and beer is NOT fasting!”, She would also not have food that was “mixed together” so only meat or chicken, potatoes and vegetable, all separate like when she was a child (and no seasoning).

The next night, Monday night at DAH from 8-11 PM, this “diet advisor” consumed at least 9 Mickey bars, 1 popsicle thing, and 2 ice cream sandwiches. And some of my popcorn.

That’s why I mentioned how picky she was- not only picky but militant about certain things that are considered odd and preachy about me drinking a beer after her “eating window”.

Normally I don’t care what people eat at all and my family is a group of the most non-picky and adventurous people you’d meet- but this struck me as something to mention.

I think in her case, it’s about feeling in control and her comfort zone makes her feel in control. I think some people have other reasons, but for her it took me aback,

I never said that it made sense! :confused3 My dad was also very stubborn. He liked what he liked and that was it. To this day I still struggle with trying new foods because I fear getting in trouble if I don't like it.
I get it, old habits die hard.
You definitely won’t get in trouble if you don’t like something.
Make a deal with yourself to try 1 new thing a week.

For the first 5 years I was married to my husband he was extremely picky. He wasn’t exposed to much growing up. His mother’s idea of cooking was turning on the microwave. It took time but at least he was willing to try new things sometimes. Then he went on a work trip and they went to a Japanese restaurant. The host bought sushi for the table. I love sushi but he refused to touch it. Well here he was at this table and the peer pressure to eat the sushi won out. He called me that night saying he’d never say no to a food again. He loved the sushi. We’ve now been married 25 years and he’s extremely adventurous with food. He has a few dislikes but he’s always willing to try something new.

To sum this up, people can change if they want to.

To each their own I suppose. I don't think I could be with someone who is unwilling to try new foods. I'm not making multiple meals and I'm also not eating such a limited, terrible diet.

I would be worried that someone who is so unwilling to budge and try new foods will also be unwilling to try new things and experiences in life.
Exactly & what about if & when kids come into the picture?
The kids see their father eating their “dream meal”...good luck getting them interested in variety.

I am 76. Very very picky eater. Never ate a vegetable, and I am still alive. My mother gave up trying to get me to eat. When I was young and we all went for pizza. I just sat and had my coke. if a restaurant doesn’t have a burger or steak then I can’t eat there. That would be Olive Garden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter