• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

To me saving money takes priority over earning the rewards.

Ah yes. Collecting AirMiles is NOT a budget thing. Especially since so many of the AM products are packaged, processed, and branded. Every once in awhile they push their store brand but it's mostly the higher-priced ones. Remember this whole program is a marketing effort... Rarely do you find off-brand, bulk quantity products on an AM deal unless you are doing a "Spend X in-store, get Y AM" promo.

Well you said you already understood this from the Shoppers program. Shoppers doesn't have anything related to travelling to Disney though, and neither does PC Points.

In my household, we upgrade our gaming consoles every few years with Shoppers points, we save money off our grocery bill with the PC points and we collect AM whenever there is a good promo on something that already is on our list. Or if we have a "Spend X in-store, get Y AM" coupon and we have to get groceries anyway. And we switched to the highest grade fuel at Shell so we can collect the AM when those promos are going on.

Collecting AM doesn't save you money... it's just a fun loyalty rewards program ;)

Has anybody ever figured out a way to get Disney gift cards or something with Air Miles? (Is there way to use cash miles or something to buy gift cards, or gift cards to other stores (and then use those for Disney))?

As @Disney Addicted mentioned, purchases need to be made by Aug 31.
I think my Amex won't get charged till the items ship so I just placed my last 2 Indigo orders, hoping they will ship by the 31st!
Here's the fine print related to the end of the promo
  • You must use your enrolled Card online at a participating Canadian merchant to make a qualifying purchase between August 1, 2017 and August 31, 2017. Purchases must be posted to your account by September 14, 2017.
Have to shop before August 31st and post to your AMEX by Sept 14th -- doesn't matter when you actually GET the product (luckily cause one of mine is sitting in limbo somewhere :confused3) I made my 4 purchases all on the 9th and they have all posted to the account and the bill has already been paid. I might make one more just to be sure, I'll do it thru the portal so i can get a few more miles!

My 500 AM bonus miles from AMEX's "Soar into More" posted today. This is the one where you had to make 4 purchases at online stores plus register by a certain date. With Chapter's free shipping my 4 purchases came to $16 and change.

Also Foodland posted their 350 AM bonus miles for the 10 gift cards I purchased.

This was nice to wake up to! :)
Mind me asking when your billing cycle ends? Ours is the 16th of the month so i guess i'll be waiting till September to see these miles show up.

From the Airmiles facebook page, posted about an hour ago:

"This Saturday won’t be just any Saturday in Canada. We’ll be bringing smiles to our Collectors from coast to coast. Keep your eyes peeled on our social channels for even more great surprises!"

Could be interesting.

Good...I need about 700!!!!!

Mind me asking when your billing cycle ends? Ours is the 16th of the month so i guess i'll be waiting till September to see these miles show up.

I have not had a chance to actually check the billing cycle just now, but yesterday I received an e-mail from AMEX that my latest statement is ready. I received other AM from AMEX in addition to those bonus ones I mentioned. The platnium and everyday purchase ones.

Metro turned out to be a lot of Air Miles for me. I spent $87.47 pre-tax and received 145 AMs. I only purchased items we use/eat and either needed or could use soon (like the juice boxes for school). Except two items which are currently in the oven for a late lunch. :) I forgot to mention that I use the Metro app for special AM coupons (change weekly). It had a $30 = 15 AM plus 27 AMs from using 6 coupons which made up part of the 145 total AMs received.

Our freezer is practically empty in the way of meats, so I probably hit Sobey's tomorrow for the $100 = 100 AM.

At Foodland tomorrow I'll grab chicken strips, grill'ems, bacon and pepperoni for the freezer as well for another 50 AM.

Metro turned out to be a lot of Air Miles for me. I spent $87.47 pre-tax and received 145 AMs. I only purchased items we use/eat and either needed or could use soon (like the juice boxes for school). Except two items which are currently in the oven for a late lunch. :) I forgot to mention that I use the Metro app for special AM coupons (change weekly). It had a $30 = 15 AM plus 27 AMs from using 6 coupons which made up part of the 145 total AMs received.

Our freezer is practically empty in the way of meats, so I probably hit Sobey's tomorrow for the $100 = 100 AM.

At Foodland tomorrow I'll grab chicken strips, grill'ems, bacon and pepperoni for the freezer as well for another 50 AM.
Check your e-mail, we just got a bunch of coupons that are good till the end of September -- they can be used multiple times. One is a spend X get X Am and the others are targeted --bananas, get 5, milk get 5 .. that sort of thing. These are over & above the weekly ones (which are also good for more than 1 week so long as you either print them out or save on your mobile device by selecting them all)

WOW....AM restocked their Disneyland adult tickets and boy did the AM redemption ever go up....a 5 day adult (CDN Resident discount) was 2,750 AM now it is 3,995....they still had child 5 day tickets at the CDN Resident offer of 2,600 AM....so I decided to order a child ticket and will go to the ticket window at DL and advise that I ordered a child by mistake and upgrade to an adult....I doubt it will cost me $147 (1395/95 *10) to upgrade. I checked the current prices and a 5 day adult ticket is $350 and a child is $335.

Ugh - the 5 day Disneyland Parkhoppers have gone up again: adult is now 4095 miles (up from 3995 a couple of weeks ago) and child is 3995.

And I see they're out of Adult Disney World tickets right now. I'm scared to see how much they go up by (especially since the previous ones were the Canadian resident discount tickets)! I need my miles to post so I can at least take advantage of the Kids ones that are left!

Has anybody ever figured out a way to get Disney gift cards or something with Air Miles? (Is there way to use cash miles or something to buy gift cards, or gift cards to other stores (and then use those for Disney))?
What I've done is use my cash miles for groceries or gas then taken that $$ I would have spent and put it into my Disney fund. It was easier to do this when you could buy gift cards for many different places at shell but they stopped that earlier this year.

Reactions: ngm
Thanks. I told my kids to make up a list from Staples for one of them...but I don't see free shipping at chapters anymore to make it worth my while.

It's always free shipping if you select ship to store.

I placed two orders this morning, one for $7 gel pens and another for an
$11 notebook. Each will ship for free to my nearest store.

Last edited:
Check your e-mail, we just got a bunch of coupons that are good till the end of September -- they can be used multiple times. One is a spend X get X Am and the others are targeted --bananas, get 5, milk get 5 .. that sort of thing. These are over & above the weekly ones (which are also good for more than 1 week so long as you either print them out or save on your mobile device by selecting them all)

Really? We are allowed to use those coupons again? I always thought they were a one time redemption offer! So I can use the $30 =15 AM again? The goat's milk again? (my daughter goes through a lot of that!).

If I purchase 2 goat's milk on one bill, would they apply the coupon twice? Or does it need to be a seperate purchase?

Both our cars have empty gas tanks so off to Shell later tonight to put in 25L each.

It's always free shipping if you select ship to store.

I placed two orders this morning, one for $7 gel pens and another for an
$11 notebook. Each will ship for free to my nearest store.

this is very true but the duck pointed out that in the fine print of the soar into more offer there's a stipulation that orders shipped to store don't qualify for the 100 miles per purchase. previous posters ordered during a free shipping, no minimum offer period, otherwise shipping to your home/work/whatever is only free if you spend 25$ minimum.

i love the ship to store option, but it might not earn the bonus miles this time around.

Really? We are allowed to use those coupons again? I always thought they were a one time redemption offer! So I can use the $30 =15 AM again? The goat's milk again? (my daughter goes through a lot of that!).

If I purchase 2 goat's milk on one bill, would they apply the coupon twice? Or does it need to be a seperate purchase?

Both our cars have empty gas tanks so off to Shell later tonight to put in 25L each.
YUP, have at it and use them as many times as you want -- separate sales for as long as the coupon is valid. Some of the spend x get x are only valid once a day .. I don't have access to the email right now but later tonight I'll pull it up and stick a screen shot in for you!

Ok so i tried to just edit my other post and stick in the screen shot but it wouldn't work :confused3
upload_2017-8-24_20-45-4.png
The fine print that i highlighted is bogus .. works about as well as the words on the Rexall coupon that says can't be combined with Load and Go offers. We use these coupons multiple times until they expire. They do need to be in separate purchases so buying 2 goat milk would only give you the miles once unless you do 2 transactions. Our store has self-check and we have a great relationship with the employee who oversees them -- he gladly scans the coupons, if we didn't buy the correct item it beeps and doesn't work, none the worse for trying! We use the "weekly" offers for 2 weeks until they expire as well -- you do need to select them before the end of the week or they will vanish.

this is very true but the duck pointed out that in the fine print of the soar into more offer there's a stipulation that orders shipped to store don't qualify for the 100 miles per purchase. previous posters ordered during a free shipping, no minimum offer period, otherwise shipping to your home/work/whatever is only free if you spend 25$ minimum.

i love the ship to store option, but it might not earn the bonus miles this time around.

UGH!!!! Thanks for the heads up, I would have lost 200 AM if you hadn't pointed this out to me! Off to re-order and order some more, its all worth it tho! Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter