AKL Concierge

Richyams

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
They were as helpful as I had hoped. Whenever I had to change something, they were able to do it in seconds. It was noce having someone there all the time to get info from, make reservations with or make changes to existing reservations. They were extremely helpful and that certainly was worth something.

I didn't save on food because while we ate quite a bit in the lounge, we didn't really skip any meals. The dinner time food in the lounge was different every day. They had three meat selections, three different selections every day. We never saw the same thing twice. They had these Morroccon meatballs that really rocked, bareque ribs, nut encrusted salmon, different kinds of chicken and this cold shredded beef stuff that I wish I could find a recipe for.

They break down the spread at 10:00 every night, we got in at 10:10-10:30 every night. That was the only bad part of the whole trip, we missed the deserts every single night.

We were on the sunset savannah, room 6208, just a few steps from the lounge. It was perfect. We saw giraffes, little gazelle, ostriches and these giant pidgeon looking thigs all the time. They were often twenty feet away. I was thinking that the sixth floor would be too high, make us too far away, but that wasn't the case at all. I guess lower floors would offer a bit more personal of an encounter, but we were fine.

The sunrise safari was good, it lasted about twice as long as the regular safari and was quite informative. The breakfast afterwards in the Tusker House at the AK was good, they did have a few unique offerings, all in all, I was kind of expecting a bit more from it, but I would definitely recomend that anyone staying in the AKL concierge does the sunrise safari.

Oh yeah, the best thing was the African Smoothie. They had three large drink dispensers at all times. Orange juice, pinapple juice, mango juice, iced tea, and a few other things, they switched off periodically during the day. One of the choices was this African Smoothie. It wasn't a smoothie in the normal sense of the word, you know, chopped ice with some flavor. I was a joice that was a mixture of banana, papaya, and a couple other things. It was really, really good.

We had a $6 per day valet charge, that surprised me, I thought it was free for resort, or at least concerge guests.

I just booked three nights concierge for Feb with AP codes. Are all concierge rooms deluxe room. I was told I have a deluxe room with a queen bed, bunk beds, and a daybed. Is the configuration for all concierge rooms?

I can't wait.

Renee

We will be at the AKL Concierge for our first visit in exactly 11 days, and based upon what you wrote - really can't wait!

Thanks so much for sharing!

"three nights concierge for Feb with AP codes"

Would you mind telling us what the concierge rates were?

Thanks

Thanks for the post Rich!! What did you think of the interior/exterior of the hotel itself? Were you able to stuff as many people in the room as it would fit? :teeth:

We really enjoyed our AKL Concierge experience.

To the person that asked, the rooms are all deluxe, but the configurations can vary. Our room had two queens.. then there's a room with a king & daybed & then there's the configuration you spoke of....

I do not know what the configuration of all the rooms are but I can tell you that 6202 has a queen, bunks beds and a day bed, 6203 has 2 queen beds. 6203 is a handicapped accessible room.

The desserts and cordials are wonderful, we managed to get them on 2 or three nights of our stay.

We're booked for 5 nights in May. Can't wait. It certainly sounds wonderful.

Some questions - did anyone not get a savannah view?
Were the 6th floor rooms mostly smoking as previously posted?

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old - Should I do the sunrise safari.

6208 was non-smoking, but no big deal. It has been wrongly posted here that there is no smoking on the balconies. They brought me an ashtray for the balcony, they brought my next door neighbor an ashtray and there were no signs saying 'no smoking'

We definitely had a savannah view. Two and four year old children may not appreciate the SS any more than they would the regular safari ride. You do need to get up early, you need to use a day of your pass, but the buffet breakfast afterwards is great.

It has been wrongly posted here that there is no smoking on the balconies. They brought me an ashtray for the balcony, they brought my next door neighbor an ashtray and there were no signs saying 'no smoking'
I am surprised because when I stayed at AKL in a SMOKING room they told me at check in there was no smoking allowed on the balcony and there was a sign on the balcony door stating no smoking on the balcony. This was a little over a year ago, so maybe they have changed but that how it was when I stayed there. I stayed Savannah view but not conceirge maybe that matters?:confused:
BTW, Rich I am shocked to read you are a smoker, I would never have guessed you to be a smoker.

Dee

I am surprised because when I stayed at AKL in a SMOKING room they told me at check in there was no smoking allowed on the balcony and there was a sign on the balcony door stating no smoking on the balcony. This was a little over a year ago, so maybe they have changed but that how it was when I stayed there. I stayed Savannah view but not conceirge maybe that matters?

I was told the same thing and saw the no smoking signs on both the sliding glass door to the balcony and on the balcony railing. I was in a smoking room, but, not conceirge.

From Deb's site:

Are smoking rooms available?
There are smoking rooms at AKL, however, although you may smoke in these rooms smoking is *not* allowed on the balcony of any room that overlooks the Savannah

I guess Deb is giving out false info. as is CRO and the front desk.

Gail

smolking may not be allowed on the balcony but the guests on either side of us both smoked on theirs.

If I had known it was not allowed I would have asked them to stop it was quite a nuisance.

Sorry smokers but it was(by the way I am a x-smoker befor you slam me)

Mal

Sorry smokers but it was(by the way I am a x-smoker befor you slam me)

I am surprised they did not see the universal signs for this.
No slam to you, smoker or not, if there are rules, they should be followed.

There were no signs concerning smoking on our door or balcony. I looked for them hard. MS and CRO both told me on the phone that we could smoke on the balcony. I had seen many times on this board that there were signs everywhere about no smoking on the balconys. When I got there I looked, I looked everywhere. There were prominant signs about not feeding the animals on both the slding glass door and the balcony itself, but not one word about smoking.

I went down to the lounge area and asked for an ashtray for my balcony, she ran into the little room behind the food thing and came out with an ashtray. My heighbor saw me coming back, asked where I got it and went and got himself one.

The maids emptied my ashtray every day.

Maybe concierge is different, but I can tell you for an absolute certainity that smoking is allowed on the balconys of the non-smoking room I was in, 6208.

If I am in a non-smoking room and I can smell the nasty smell cigarettes from a neighbor (who is in a non-smoking room) I will be first one to complain. I can't believe they would allow smoking in a non-smoking area --- even if it is outside it is still gross.

Renee

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
I am surprised they did not see the universal signs for this.
No slam to you, smoker or not, if there are rules, they should be followed.

Gail,
I agree!!
Smoker.gif
But I promise I won't get started on the "balcony" smoking.
angryfire.gif

Maybe concierge is different, but I can tell you for an absolute certainity that smoking is allowed on the balconys of the non-smoking room I was in, 6208.

Rich, I have no doubt you looked very hard and I have no doubt you followed the rules, but, darn, I do wish they would keep a rule and me consistant. It is not only this, it is everything that seems to change depending on the weather.

In reality, I don't see the difference between concierge and reg. rooms regarding smoking with a savannah view. Who knows?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter