• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All in the Family/The Jeffersons LIVE on ABC tonight

I miss it but watching the after show.

I recall when the Joey doll came out back in the day it was so controversial because it was anatomically correct, lol.
I had one. It was then I realized how expensive diapers were.

As with virtually every TV show, the interior layout of the Jefferson's deeluxe apartment in the sky doesn't match the establishing outside shot of the building. The bedrooms would need to be in a perpendicular wing of the building, yet the outside shot is flat. And those bedrooms are likely windowless based on their doorways. Neighbor Mr. Bentley's front door would lead directly into one of the Jefferson's bedrooms.

The Bunker's modest twin house is more realistic, but it's unlikely a twin would have its staircase on the exterior wall instead of the interior common wall. The upstairs bathroom would then be windowless, or perhaps have a skylight. Based on the size of the downstairs, the two bedrooms upstairs would be fairly large. It's not at all unusual that the Jeffersons would have three smaller bedrooms in the same square footage.

I assume your comment was aimed at the deplorables. Not appreciated.
I was specifically thinking of my brother-in-law, who posted something on Facebook saying a specific politician was the new "dingbat". As if Archie's treatment of Edit was funny or fair.

I still haven’t seen the entire All in the Family episode. DH set up the DVR too late on Wednesday and when ABC re-aired it last night, we were having storms and the local weather kept breaking in. That said, I thought Jamie Fox was excellent as George Jefferson. The others I thought were fine, with the exception of Archie. I didn’t think Woody managed to capture the buffoonery of Archie, he cane across more mean and hot tempered.

I thought it was dreadful especially when they showed the original cast doing the same scene. The originals were far superior and actually funny. If I had to choose I’d say The Jeffersons episode was the better of the two.

I agree. I thought that this cast turned stereotypes into characatures of stereotypes and did a terrible job of it. Any social message this bunch woudl try to make woudl be lost I am afraid.

I'm not aware if any Classic TV channel is showing AinF reruns today. I suspect not.

Was the guy who brought the cake supposed to be other neighbor Frank Lorenzo? The original character was never THAT over the top.

There are reruns in my area.

I was assigned AITF as a homework assignment when I was in the 9th grade. My Civics teacher used it as we discussed civil rights. It was thought provoking then, and quite honestly when I watch this show with my husband I find I am as uncomfortable with some of the scenes as I was in my earlier years. For instance, Gloria's assault was on around the same time the Kavanaugh hearings were taking place and I found it terribly sad that women are still bearing the burden of proof of assault.

One of the aspects of the original show that I can see now that I missed in my youth is the growth of Archie, and the inner strength of Edith. The one thing that made Archie tolerable was that he, like many people we all know, could be likeable, in spite of his leanings, and that many of his viewpoints we learned, came from his own upbringing. His growth was slow, but it was steady, and seeing the first season against the last was an eye opener.

This cast had none of the heart all of the original brough to the show, it was just a mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter