Anniversary gift help (timing)

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
DW & I will be celebrating 25 years of marriage in June. :cheer2: I had hoped we'd be able to take a trip somewhere, but that's not happening.

So here's what I'm thinking... Get a room for the night (falls on a Wednesday) at the resort hotel where we spent our wedding night.

I'll go check in, arrange for a limo to pick me up at the hotel and surprise her at work and take her back to the hotel. We'll go to the best steakhouse in town for dinner, then back to the hotel for the night.

I got a deal at the hotel that includes champagne at check in, free breakfast, and a late (2pm) checkout.

That's the "big picture". Here are my stumbling blocks...
* She takes off work usually around 3:30p-4p, but that's often to get the kids to activities, which won't be as big a deal in the summer. But that would be putting us back at the hotel (after picking her up) at 4:30 at the latest. I wouldn't want to go to dinner until 6 (if not later), so do we try to keep the limo, or just uber to/from dinner? I know a number of people who work with her and they could probably help keep her somewhat later, but I think most leave around 4pm themselves.
* There is a spa on site at the hotel, and I was thinking about getting a couples massage. Timing wise, I think having a 5pm appointment would work, then have dinner reservations at 7 or 7:15. Or, since we have a late checkout the next day, do I make a spa appointment for late morning?
* If I get the champagne at check in, I figure I'd put it on ice before picking her up and we can have it when we return. Can champagne be chilled for "too long"? If so, how long is too long?

To try to answer questions before they get asked...
* Her work does have security overnight, and has people working overnight, so I don't anticipate a problem with leaving her vehicle at the offices.
* Yes, I'd pack clothes for her (not sure how to handle her medicines other than just take everything)
* Kids are old enough to spend a night by themselves
* I've surprised her this way twice before (not for anniversary), but it's been a long time, and yes, she did seem to like it.

If you've read this far, thank you. Any thoughts on timing?

DW & I will be celebrating 25 years of marriage in June. :cheer2: I had hoped we'd be able to take a trip somewhere, but that's not happening.

So here's what I'm thinking... Get a room for the night (falls on a Wednesday) at the resort hotel where we spent our wedding night.

I'll go check in, arrange for a limo to pick me up at the hotel and surprise her at work and take her back to the hotel. We'll go to the best steakhouse in town for dinner, then back to the hotel for the night.

I got a deal at the hotel that includes champagne at check in, free breakfast, and a late (2pm) checkout.

* She takes off work usually around 3:30p-4p, but that's often to get the kids to activities, which won't be as big a deal in the summer. But that would be putting us back at the hotel (after picking her up) at 4:30 at the latest. I wouldn't want to go to dinner until 6 (if not later), so do we try to keep the limo, or just uber to/from dinner? I know a number of people who work with her and they could probably help keep her somewhat later, but I think most leave around 4pm themselves.
* There is a spa on site at the hotel, and I was thinking about getting a couples massage. Timing wise, I think having a 5pm appointment would work, then have dinner reservations at 7 or 7:15. Or, since we have a late checkout the next day, do I make a spa appointment for late morning?
* If I get the champagne at check in, I figure I'd put it on ice before picking her up and we can have it when we return. Can champagne be chilled for "too long"? If so, how long is too long?

* Her work does have security overnight, and has people working overnight, so I don't anticipate a problem with leaving her vehicle at the offices.
* Yes, I'd pack clothes for her (not sure how to handle her medicines other than just take everything)
* I've surprised her this way twice before (not for anniversary), but it's been a long time, and yes, she did seem to like it.

First off - CONGRATULATIONS!! If there's anything worth celebrating, it's a successful marriage. All my best to both of you. :flower3:

Your idea is adorable and so lovingly thought out! What I might do is have her meet you somewhere for a drink after work with the idea of going out to dinner. Have the limo pick you up there and go to the hotel after dinner (don't worry about the champagne - it will be fine). As for the massage, I wouldn't do it before dinner because once you're that loose and relaxed, getting dressed and going out is probably the last thing you want to do. But that's just throwing ideas out there - what you've got now is great and I hope you have a wonderful time.

I would appreciate the limo for dinner, more than picking my up from work. Which may not fit into your plans, but what if you picked her up, then when you went down for dinner, there was a lino waiting for you?

I would also want the massage before dinner. Basically, come to the resort, have a massage, shower, dress for dinner, enjoy dinner, an evening with my husband. For me, THAT is my anniversary celebration. Then breakfast and time together, before having to go back to reality.

Your idea is adorable and so lovingly thought out! What I might do is have her meet you somewhere for a drink after work with the idea of going out to dinner. Have the limo pick you up there and go to the hotel after dinner (don't worry about the champagne - it will be fine). As for the massage, I wouldn't do it before dinner because once you're that loose and relaxed, getting dressed and going out is probably the last thing you want to do. But that's just throwing ideas out there - what you've got now is great and I hope you have a wonderful time.
Two reasons I don't like that plan (but you wouldn't know)... we rarely go out, so arranging a meeting after work would be unusual and I think she'd think something was up. I'm not sure what I'd do with her vehicle wherever we meet (if I pick her put at work, she can leave her vehicle there).

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and wishes!

I would appreciate the limo for dinner, more than picking my up from work. Which may not fit into your plans, but what if you picked her up, then when you went down for dinner, there was a lino waiting for you?
Does the limo wait while we're at dinner?

Definitely massages in the morning, afterwards you will want to shower, which for me would mean needing another 45 minutes or so to put on makeup and dry my hair.

I haven't been in a limo for years. I mean years.

But way back in the dark ages, when we booked a limo it was round trip. So they picked us up (from the house) and took us to the destination. Then after the event, they picked us up (from the destination) and took us home.

This sounds so sweet and congratulations to you and your wife! I agree that I would prefer to have DH pick me up at work and have the limo for dinner. Any time we have done a limo it was for a set amount of time (3 hours, 5 hours, etc.) so I would just book enough time for travel and so you don't feel rushed at dinner.

Champagne will be fine being chilled for the day/evening, just make sure to either put it in the refrigerator to chill, or ensure that the ice won't all melt and warm up the champagne.

As for the spa appointment you know your wife best, I am not sure that I would want a relaxing massage and then have to get dressed for dinner and go out, I think if I had a massage I would prefer room service in my robe! So I would prefer a morning massage, but I would be appreciative of any massage DH booked for me!

As a wife I would so appreciate any of that! I have never had nice things done. I would love the spa after a day at work. To me that sounds so good.

Yes, they may do something while you are having dinner but they don't usually leave the area. BIL drives a limo part time, he usually just finds a parking spot and plays on his iPad while waiting.

And no champagne cannot be over chilled. On our cruise we usually chill it early on last day then bring it to dinner. So it is on ice about 10 hours. Before anyone says ice doesn't last that long, room steward changes the ice periodically.

A couple thoughts:
Go to the hotel early, get checked in, get the room key, and set up the room. Turned down bed, flowers and a bottle of good champagne and chocolates, maybe a fancy dessert with lots of whipped cream, etc.

Can you talk to her boss and get her out of work early, without her knowing about it? If so, get there by 3:30, and go get the massage! Dinner at 7:30, and champagne in the room after. Room service breakfast.

Make sure you pack her some nice clothes, makeup, jewelry, hair stuff, etc! My DH would have no clue what to bring, other than clothes, lol.

You are so sweet!

How sweet! Have you considered renting a fancy car for overnight? Then there is no dilemma about limo for work pick up or dinner. If you really want to go with the limo, then I would go with it waiting downstairs to take you to dinner and I would have it wait. Since they charge by the hour, that's why I was thinking that a fancy sports car that could be rented overnight might be fun.

As to the plan, I would check in and have the room set up with flowers, champagne chilling, and chocolate covered strawberries and a charcuterie board. I would go with pick her up from work as early as possible, schedule the couple's massage for 5, and dinner for 9.

That would leave time for the massage and then heading back to the room for a private champagne Happy Hour, some hanky panky, and a short nap. Massages are so relaxing that we always want to sleep a bit after. The massage would fit fine there as I would want a shower before going out for a fancy dinner if I had been at work all day. The charcuterie and champagne will help make the evening longer and make the late dinner possible.

The next morning, sleep in, order room service breakfast in bed, and then maybe head back to the spa for pedicures before you check out.

If it's a week night, will she be fine with missing work or going in late the next day?

As a wife I would so appreciate any of that! I have never had nice things done. I would love the spa after a day at work. To me that sounds so good.
:surfweb: E-mail the address of this thread to your DH - hopefully he will get inspired. @sam_gordon has put so much loving care into this plan I'm sure he'd be happy to have a little of the :goodvibes rub off on someone else!

:surfweb: E-mail the address of this thread to your DH - hopefully he will get inspired. @sam_gordon has put so much loving care into this plan I'm sure he'd be happy to have a little of the :goodvibes rub off on someone else!
I thank you but that is very impossible. It is very nice to hear other husbands have that kind of love for their wives

This all sounds wonderful!!!
She does not work the next day... right....

Does it have to be a total surprise?
Can you let her know that you have some special plans, so she can be ready for however it works out.

And, yes, I would double check the limo arrangements...
it may work out to have them, for round trip, with a duration of up to a certain amount of time.

This all sounds wonderful!!!
She does not work the next day... right....

Does it have to be a total surprise?
Can you let her know that you have some special plans, so she can be ready for however it works out.

And, yes, I would double check the limo arrangements...
it may work out to have them, for round trip, with a duration of up to a certain amount of time.
If I pull this off the way I'd like, she'll think she's working the next day, but I'll reach out to her boss and get her the day off. I'd like it to be a surprise. I mean, I'm sure we'll talk about going out to dinner, but that's about the extent.

I'm still debating...
1) Limo to pick her up or go to dinner
2) Massage before dinner or the next morning. There are pros/cons both ways.

If I pull this off the way I'd like, she'll think she's working the next day, but I'll reach out to her boss and get her the day off. I'd like it to be a surprise. I mean, I'm sure we'll talk about going out to dinner, but that's about the extent.

I'm still debating...
1) Limo to pick her up or go to dinner
2) Massage before dinner or the next morning. There are pros/cons both ways.
My opinion, uber is fantastic, no need for a limo. Everything you are doing is great! When i get a massage i definitely need a shower after, then dry hair, style and make up. So i would either plan a late dinner, or do it in the morning. Whatever you decide, she'll love it im sure!

I would have her go home after work and pick her up with the limo at the house to me I'd personally be more surprised plus I could collect any last minute thing I might need. I'd do the massages in the morning as I'd hate to get all dressed up after a massage - I much prefer to chill in a hot tub afterwards!

Oh! Does she have a sister or someone who could help you pick what to pack for her? I know my husband would be completely lost but my sister could tell him exactly what all I'd want packed. If not I'd definitely err on the side of over-packing than under-packing. Maybe two dress choices and two shoe choices... but I love dressing up and have over 100 pairs of heels so I get that I'm a little weird about that stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter