• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any unopened restaurants bumming you out?

eiblehs

Expedition Everest Enthusiast
I’m pretty bummed to see a few favorites of mine aren’t reopening with the parks! I have been dreaming about trying a cinnamon roll from Gaston’s Tavern for YEARS. It was at the top of my to-try list for snacks. :sad1: My husband is upset that Casey’s Corner isn’t reopening. It’s been a tradition to eat a Casey’s hotdog on our last night in Magic Kingdom. And of course, ‘Ohana is probably the most upsetting for us. We have been craving those noodles and dumplings since our last visit in 2018. 😞 We are set to arrive two weeks after the opening date; I’m hoping (wishful thinking) that at least one of these places will be opened by then.

Are any of your favorite spots closed?

I hadn't even noticed that Gaston's isn't opening. Darn it, I can feed my family breakfast on two of those cinnamon rolls for cheap....cheap for in park meals that is.

DH and I are sad that the bakery in France is closed. Their baguettes are yummy and I could live off their ham and cheese coursants. World Showcase has a few missing, but we can survive this trip. I think the true magnification of what's closed will hit once we're there and find that our usual stops are not open.

Columbia Harbor House. (That is our go-to at MK.)
Flying Fish. (always go here when staying in Epcot resorts.)
Takumi Tei. (we were really looking forward to trying this one out. On the + side, we just saved some cash, lol.)

We're more bummed out that our ADRs were all wiped out and now we have to start all over in a few weeks.

Yes, that was really disappointing. However, now that we don’t have the DDP, we actually aren’t eating at a lot of the places we originally had ADRs for.

I wonder what the rationale is behind Ohana not opening? They bring the food to you.

Right?! It makes no sense. If they’re continuing with family-style for other restaurants on property, I have no idea why ‘Ohana isn’t included. It’s also a huge restaurant. With limited release of ADRs, they could easily spread the tables out. The only thing I can think of is the meat skewer CM going from table to table would be a no-no, but they could change that easily.

Buffets! I absolutely love variety, which makes a buffet the perfect choice for me. I hope they return someday. Ohana too!
Slightly off topic, but I saw that some Vegas buffets are re-opening but having servers bring the food to you instead of self-serve. Still the same options and still all you can eat, but you have to wait for a server to get it for you and you're at the mercy of the server's portioning ;) Better than nothing I suppose.

I wonder what the rationale is behind Ohana not opening? They bring the food to you.
Right?! It makes no sense. If they’re continuing with family-style for other restaurants on property, I have no idea why ‘Ohana isn’t included. It’s also a huge restaurant. With limited release of ADRs, they could easily spread the tables out. The only thing I can think of is the meat skewer CM going from table to table would be a no-no, but they could change that easily.
My only guess is because Ohana is very popular and I know they often run behind schedule on seating there. Because of this, people will loiter in the upstairs area of the Poly which makes it congested, especially with Kona in the same vicinity. The tables are also close together there, allowing them to turnover more tables faster. Unless they drastically limit Ohana ADRs, which would then make an Ohana ADR near impossible to come by, I am guessing they decided to just not deal with it for the time being. I also think that because they are limiting people visiting the resorts, this is probably a factor as well. Ohana is one of the most popular restaurants people travel to another resort for.

Everything in Epcot is what my husband said. And he said eating at the F&W booths is like eating at really expensive food trucks with small servings. LOL

Everything in Epcot is what my husband said. And he said eating at the F&W booths is like eating at really expensive food trucks with small servings. LOL

My favorite QS on property is Tangierine Cafe which will be open. I highly recommend it! This will be my first Epcot “festival” — I’m excited but also anticipating spending too much money. Lol

I would imagine it’s a cost thing, with low capacity means less patrons and an operation like Ohana needs seats filled constantly. If you get one big eater who has three or four portions more than average then they’re operating at a loss because they don’t have the volume to make it up.

Columbia Harbor House. (That is our go-to at MK.)
Flying Fish. (always go here when staying in Epcot resorts.)
Takumi Tei. (we were really looking forward to trying this one out. On the + side, we just saved some cash, lol.)

Takumi Tei is definitely a bummer, but figured it wouldnt open with international cast members not being around.

I'm pretty sure Flying Fish will be open though, as it was listed as one of the places that will be using Mobile Dining Check-in

I'm pretty sure Flying Fish will be open though, as it was listed as one of the places that will be using Mobile Dining Check-in

This was on Disney website on what will be open. Since Boardwalk Inn isn't opening until October 1st, who knows. I hope you're correct though.

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 1.57.39 PM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter