Anybody stay at all 3 resorts and can give me feedback?

Skjhjb

DIS Veteran
We are DW visitors - we've stayed at Poly (total fluke luck lol) and then both Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter.

Planning a trip for October, just DH and I. Ideally my dream DVC rental would come through and we'd stay at Grand Californian.

But that is looking less likely as the weeks go by.

So I'm looking for honest comparison/feedback on all three hotels on site. It's my 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary trip so Disney is only 3 days of the entire trip. But it's the "my birthday" portion of the trip, so I really want to stay on site and be spoiled.

The cost of GCH is scary with 3 day hoppers (we are Canadian as well, so the exchange makes it worse). The cost of DLH is not quite as scary at just under what we would pay for DVC and tickets, and the PPH price is $500 less than the DVC cost with tickets included.

I know from reading the closeness of GCH to everything is the best. But are the others that far off in location? Is on-site really all the best? I'm used to the on-site DW bubble, so I'm wondering if this is the same feel.

Thanks!!

I know from reading the closeness of GCH to everything is the best. But are the others that far off in location? Is on-site really all the best? I'm used to the on-site DW bubble, so I'm wondering if this is the same feel.

Thanks!!
The difference in walking time is 5 mins. I have stayed in all 3 at least 5-10 times each. I love the DLH. It is my go to. I like the Grand. It is closer, but not enough to make me choose it. Rooms are smaller, and depending on the room you get, you can actually be just as far as the hallways are long.

I like the DLH as the rooms are larger, there are Disney touches through out the room. And to me, the staff just seems more friendly.

The PPH is nice. I like it. The rooms are themed more to beaches and surfing, with a hint of Mickey. They do have the largest rooms. It doesn't have the same feel as the DLH for me, but for the price, you might consider it.

Personally, I'd do DLH.

If you're not traveling with kids and don't need the shorter walk to the parks, I think DLH is a good compromise. It has a wonderful Disney magical feel and the rooms are bigger. I also love Trader Sam's for a drink.

Thanks!!
If kids are involved, the pools at the DLH are hands down the best.

The walk from PPH (the furthest of the 3) is about 10-12 mins. DLH is 7-8 mins.

I personally didn't feel any difference between walking from PPH or DLH than I did walking from Bay Lakes to MK.

We are DW visitors - we've stayed at Poly (total fluke luck lol) and then both Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter.

Planning a trip for October, just DH and I. Ideally my dream DVC rental would come through and we'd stay at Grand Californian.

So I'm looking for honest comparison/feedback on all three hotels on site. It's my 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary trip so Disney is only 3 days of the entire trip. But it's the "my birthday" portion of the trip, so I really want to stay on site and be spoiled.

The cost of GCH is scary with 3 day hoppers (we are Canadian as well, so the exchange makes it worse). The cost of DLH is not quite as scary at just under what we would pay for DVC and tickets, and the PPH price is $500 less than the DVC cost with tickets included.

Thanks!!
If you're going the tail end of Oct you might tie into Dapper Days and take advantage of reduced DLR room rates and special ticket rates too.

I've stayed at all three over the years.

When I go during the season of shorter hours, I like a park view at PPH. Back in the room the view is so nice at the end of the night.

If I'm going with young grandkids the DLH is perfect for pool use anytime of the year.

GCH is nice if I can get a decent rate.

You might keep an eye to see if Disney offers another Canadian Special for your dates.

I can give you an opinion on all three in a couple of weeks, but we have only stayed at DLH so far.

If you are a Disney history buff, you will LOVE the Disneyland Hotel. You'll want to get the Don Ballard book about the DLH to enjoy before your trip. We think the walking distance from DLH is very reasonable, and it feels like you are immediately "in" Disney because of being adjacent to DTD.

In 2 weeks, we have a PPH and VGC split stay. I had given up on VGC, like you, but then the last three days of our trip became available about a month ahead of the trip. WHAT?! I called Member Services and jumped on that. I then did a waitlist for one more night, and that came through, too! So now we are 2 nights at PPH and 4 at VGC. (We thought about switching to all GC since it was now in the budget, but decided that we really want to try PPH.)

All this to say: VGC waitlist dreams really can come true.

I prefer the Grand by a long shot. It's the best location. I like to hang out there as well. It's just way too expensive. If you can join with Dapper Days or Gay Days, you can get a savings, but they usually give you the least favorite rooms.

The Disneyland Hotel is a very fun place to visit/hang out. Full disclosure, I've never use the pools at any of the hotels. I spend all my time out of the hotel room and only use it to shower and sleep. The stuff I like to do, visit Trader Sams, the gift shop, the coffee shop - can all be done without staying there.

Paradise Pier has the largest rooms and I've had wonderful views from there. It's a further walk and now you cannot short cut through the Grand.

While none of these are a very far walk, we only go back to the room to charge phones or the change clothes when we are staying at the Grand. You won't go wrong with any of the hotels, really.

It's not important to "stay in the bubble" at Disneyland. While there aren't exactly high end hotels in the area, there are some very nice ones. I've read really good things about Candy Cane Inn. The Hiltons are nice, too. Lots to consider, but honestly if you are going for your birthday, you should just stay where you want to stay and not worry about the money too much.

ETA: It's your 50th birthday and your 25th anniversary. Make it special.

I love Grand Californian (only have stayed in the DVC portion though) and Disneyland Hotel. Paradise Pier just does not work for us - I have tried it twice now. Given price, I would go with Disneyland Hotel if you cannot get the DVC at VGC. we are during that later this month for the Moonlight Magic event. Disneyland Hotel feels more magical and is not a bad walk overall.

My favorite is the GCH. I love the atmosphere and location. You are paying for proximity. When we stay at the GCH we just pop back and forth into the room for jackets or changes where with DLH or PPH we typically do not return to rooms and get a locker for clothes. I just stayed at DLH and had to make a quick run to the room and while it is not really that far, was missing the GCH at that point!

...It's my 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary trip so Disney is only 3 days of the entire trip. But it's the "my birthday" portion of the trip, so I really want to stay on site and be spoiled...
You could stay in the Fairy Tale Suite at DLH
Signature Suites include seated viewing for nighttime shows (fireworks, F!, WOC)

Thanks!!

As a fellow Canadian, I hear you on the exchange! :headache:

We've stayed at all 3 DLR hotels, although only once at PPH and it was back when you could still cut through the GCH.

We all prefer GCH, the location and theme can't be beat, in our opinion. We're from BC, so the theme at the Grand really speaks to us. We all love DLH and will absolutely stay there without a complaint but being able to get soaked to the skin on GRR and walking back to our room to get changed in under 2 minutes is amazing! I love Trader Sams but one of my favourite things to do in the afternoon is to sit in the Hearthstone Lounge with a drink and relax while the rest of the family rests in the room.

We are heading back in August to celebrate our 20th anniversary and I was lucky enough to secure DVC 1 bedroom rental for our stay but if I had not been able to, I would have booked at the DLH without hesitation. We spent our honeymoon there and it holds so many special memories for me.

For a special occasion like yours, I would take PPH out of the running but would not hesitate to book DLH.

If you are big foodies, you may want to look at booking the Chef's counter at Napa Rose for a special dinner. It is pricey but amazing!

I believe Aldora wrote my review for me (except we are from Arizona ) and we prefer Trader Sam's over Hearthstone Lounge.

Theming is a matter of taste so each property has it's loyal following. We love both the GC and DLH and like PPH for the reasons Alfora stated above.

GCH - location, Napa Rose chefs counter, room theme is charming. We have DVC here so we are a bit biased.
DLH - theme, history, cool room headboards, pools, Trader Sams!! If there were DVC rooms we would be in Disney heaven.
PPH - price and perks of being on property. If this is our best choice we typically stay off property for less than 1/2 the price as we go so often that magic morining is not that important. This may change with SWL in June.

We try to maximize our DVC points at VGC and go to the DLH when we have a meeting or Dapper Day rate.

Regardless of room location I know your 50th will be awesome. We spent my 50th in WDW and on a Disney Cruise in 2018.

Mike

The difference in walking time is 5 mins. I have stayed in all 3 at least 5-10 times each. I love the DLH. It is my go to. I like the Grand. It is closer, but not enough to make me choose it. Rooms are smaller, and depending on the room you get, you can actually be just as far as the hallways are long.

I like the DLH as the rooms are larger, there are Disney touches through out the room. And to me, the staff just seems more friendly.

The PPH is nice. I like it. The rooms are themed more to beaches and surfing, with a hint of Mickey. They do have the largest rooms. It doesn't have the same feel as the DLH for me, but for the price, you might consider it.

Personally, I'd do DLH.

My thoughts exactly!

Also, with GCH, the bathrooms are all the kind with the toilet and shower in a room, then the sink outside of the bathroom. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely hate that kind of bathroom. I've only experienced that once at the DLH (Frontier tower) and never at PPH.

It's not important to "stay in the bubble" at Disneyland. While there aren't exactly high end hotels in the area, there are some very nice ones. I've read really good things about Candy Cane Inn. The Hiltons are nice, too. Lots to consider, but honestly if you are going for your birthday, you should just stay where you want to stay and not worry about the money too much.

ETA: It's your 50th birthday and your 25th anniversary. Make it special.

Sigh - if only my wallet/bank account would not let me worry about the money too much! LOL

You could stay in the Fairy Tale Suite at DLH
Signature Suites include seated viewing for nighttime shows (fireworks, F!, WOC)
When I stayed in the FTS, it included concierge as well. The lounge is right next door which is so cool! You can run next door and get champagne--er, sparkling wine and then go back to your room and watch the fireworks from the huge floor-to-ceiling wall of window. However, I checked the price about 3 months ago and it was waaaaaay more than I paid when I went. I think I was quoted $1200/night.

My humble opinion is that I love both GCH and DLH. I'm not a huge fan of PPH but I'd probably stay there over any of the motels across the street in your situation.

GCH is my favorite. Reasons: location, fantastic lobby and public areas, quick access to parks and DTD, decor. I like the room layout and while the rooms are smaller than DLH's, they have nice amenities and balconies with chairs and the rooms are only small if you have a family staying in one room. Napa Rose is a fantastic restaurant and if you don't want to/don't need a big dinner, they have a lovely lounge area with a good menu that includes pub-type fare. We like to go to the lounge for coffee and dessert, too. I love sitting in the rockers in front of the fireplace. I am not too fond of having to trek through the lobby and up the elevator and all the way back to my room after using the pool or jacuzzi, but the pool area is very nice. It's nicer if you have a room with easy elevator access, like the rooms over the Napa Rose restaurant.

DLH is such a close runner-up to GCH that it was difficult to choose a favorite. However, I am one of the few that preferred the older DLH (before the newest renovation). The public areas were more magical/whimsical and the decor less minimalist. I preferred the old pool (the monorail slides are geared to kids) and I miss the waterfalls and over-the-water gift shops. But I love Trader Sam's and Tangaroa Terrace, and you are very likely to see a character or two walking around at DLH. I love Steakhouse 55, especially for breakfast (good price for what you get). They have a fun afternoon tea on the weekends. The atmosphere is old school tropical, more or less, while GCH is mountain resortish.

PPH is not on my list. I never stay there. I have stayed 2 or 3 times and feel it's worth paying more to stay at one of the other 2 hotels. It wasn't originally a Disney property (I used to stay there often when it was the Pan Pacific many moons ago) and it lacks most of what the other hotels have IMO. I love having a nice lobby area. I love having grounds to buffer you from the surrounding properties. I love a big pool area with a resort feel. PPH doesn't have any of that. What it does have, besides a lower price, is some very nice view rooms that look out on DCA and a relatively inexpensive concierge lounge. I've not stayed in those rooms so that might affect my opinion; however, at this point I'd rather stay in a cheaper room at one of the other 2 hotels than the nicer rooms at PPH.

Dare I even inquire as to how much per night that is?? LOL

Last week a booked a week for my family at the end of June. The signature suites at the DLH were sold out, but at the PPH were $3,160 per night and at the GCH were $7,750 per night. Yes, that is the per night rate. :wow: We did not book a signature suite after all!

If kids are involved, the pools at the DLH are hands down the best.

Depends on what you donat a pool. My son is a swimmer. He will splash and play a bit, but he wants a clear path for swimming. The blob of the dlh pool does not provide that. It’s a “messing around in the water” pool.

The slides apparently are nice.

For little kids imo the slide at PPh is great because it doesn’t come out in a pool. Feels safer.

And the pool at pph is a nice proper “swimming” pool.

You are paying for proximity. When we stay at the GCH we just pop back and forth into the room for jackets or changes

Our room at the grand was so far away that when I used mapmyrun, I found that the path between the room and the center of the esplanade was almost as far as from outside hojo to the same spot of the esplanade.

My son and then-husband rode GRR a few times on a not-hot day. Not cold either. But I think it was morning. Even using the entrance right there, by the time they returned to the room my son’s lips were blue.

At the time one could use the path through to the pph, and it would have been more straight forward and probably the same distance, but without the highly air conditioned corridors in the hotel-room part, to get to pph.

And if I were staying currently at dlh or pph I would have simply been prepared with a change of clothing for my son. But we thought it would be a hop skip and jump, and we were wrong because of our room.

My two cents: stay at DLH. DLH is about as far from the parks as the Contemporary is from MK. You can experience almost everything at the GCH on your way back to your hotel; consider it a second lobby. The GCH is a lot like the mutant offspring of Wilderness Lodge and Grand Floridian, and there's nothing like the DLH at WDW. Plus, the pool at the DLH is better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter