Anyone else guilty of buying something else non essential

Not really. We also are trying hard to make a complete list and buy for two weeks at a time. So far, that strategy hasn't worked as we've needed to go once a week. Today, DH did have to stop at a Home Depot to get a new thermostat. Was that "essential?' Not sure. Ultimately it turned out the one we thought was bad, wasn't. It was something else. So, we did buy something that turned out not to be necessary. Husband does all the shopping since he has to be out anyway for work. It's weird for me not to be going to stores at all.

A few weeks ago when they were starting to shut down non-essential stores, I went to Michael's to stock up on craft supplies for my 4.5-year-old. Running out of things to do and I'm really considering placing an online order (our Michael's is completely closed, no curbside pickup).

Bought a new pair of shoes for him last week when Skechers was doing their friends-and-family sale. Some people might think shoes for a child are essential, but apparently our Walmart has deemed clothing and shoes non-essential, even for kids, and has blocked off those sections of the store.

And yesterday on View Your Deal, I bought a summer bundle of Poo-pourri. Love that stuff! And if you're stuck in the house with your entire family...hey, Poo-pourri might just be an essential product! ;)

A few weeks ago when they were starting to shut down non-essential stores, I went to Michael's to stock up on craft supplies for my 4.5-year-old. Running out of things to do and I'm really considering placing an online order (our Michael's is completely closed, no curbside pickup).

Bought a new pair of shoes for him last week when Skechers was doing their friends-and-family sale. Some people might think shoes for a child are essential, but apparently our Walmart has deemed clothing and shoes non-essential, even for kids, and has blocked off those sections of the store.

And yesterday on View Your Deal, I bought a summer bundle of Poo-pourri. Love that stuff! And if you're stuck in the house with your entire family...hey, Poo-pourri might just be an essential product! ;)
That is absurd who are they to judge honestly they dont know everyone's situation

I don’t know how they decide what is essential and what isn’t. Food and meds I get, but clothes? What if you get pregnant during this and need maternity clothes? Or just had a baby and your shower was cancelled due to the virus? What if your clothes disintegrate from washing frequently in hot water as recommended? Furniture? What if your bed or sofa or dining table breaks? Craft items? What about all the people scrambling to make their own masks now that it’s recommended we wear one and they want us to leave disposables for medical personnel? Things can become necessary overnight as things change. I can understand if they prioritize restocking the more necessary items and just don’t have much in the way of unnecessary items available as a result. But I also know there may be things necessary from a mental health standpoint as opposed to a physical health standpoint, and I think they are both important.

I don’t have a problem with the online companies prioritizing necessary items when it comes to shipping. So long as they are honest about when they expect to ship, I can deal with a delay. I make my in person grocery runs as brief as possible, and as infrequent as possible (going at rope drop once every couple weeks), and order online when I can.

Oh, and chocolate is entirely essential, and no one will convince me otherwise. :p

I’m one of those people that enjoys shopping. A fun weekend for me is going in the stores in malls and shopping centers and seeing what’s new, trying on clothes, putting outfits together or new room decor. Whether solo or with others, I love shopping around more than online shopping, so this shutdown is really saving me money.

I’ve done online shopping for non essentials. Trying to stay out of stores. I’m really trying not to but have been to get beer, Lowe’s, and Home Depot all twice. They were before the stay at home order but after they started closing things down. First trip was the first day they closed stuff down for paint. One trip was to pickup online order that was too expensive to ship. Two other trips were to exchange items that didn’t work out.

I may be making one more trip to Home Depot. I order online and just walk in and pick it up. The things I’m getting could wait, but I don’t have much time while working so I’m trying to do things while I’m off. I know it’s not a good excuse but I don’t have any plans after I finish this last project.
I feel like we have to still maintain our homes. I told my husband to get busy pressure washing the devil (devil???? DECK) because I plan to paint it. If we put it off it’s going to be damaged. Walking in to a store that is open to buy a can of paint to me is not a problem. We aren’t going to walk up and down every aisle. We may even get it with curb pick up

Last edited:
I don’t know how they decide what is essential and what isn’t. Food and meds I get, but clothes? What if you get pregnant during this and need maternity clothes? Or just had a baby and your shower was cancelled due to the virus? What if your clothes disintegrate from washing frequently in hot water as recommended? Furniture? What if your bed or sofa or dining table breaks? Craft items? What about all the people scrambling to make their own masks now that it’s recommended we wear one and they want us to leave disposables for medical personnel? Things can become necessary overnight as things change. I can understand if they prioritize restocking the more necessary items and just don’t have much in the way of unnecessary items available as a result. But I also know there may be things necessary from a mental health standpoint as opposed to a physical health standpoint, and I think they are both important.

I don’t have a problem with the online companies prioritizing necessary items when it comes to shipping. So long as they are honest about when they expect to ship, I can deal with a delay. I make my in person grocery runs as brief as possible, and as infrequent as possible (going at rope drop once every couple weeks), and order online when I can.

Oh, and chocolate is entirely essential, and no one will convince me otherwise. :p

Yes my friend made a simalar post earlier
I’m one of those people that enjoys shopping. A fun weekend for me is going in the stores in malls and shopping centers and seeing what’s new, trying on clothes, putting outfits together or new room decor. Whether solo or with others, I love shopping around more than online shopping, so this shutdown is really saving me money.
I am the exact opposite I go to the store grab what I need and leave

I bought a cheap above ground pool last week because I'm not sure how long it'll be before I can hit the beach again... I've heard arguments from both sides on shopping for non-essentials (both online and in person) but I'm 100% comfortable with shopping online in hopes it might help support those who work in retail behind the scenes.

We haven't gone into a store in several weeks so the pickup stuff has been all grocery items. I'm not as comfortable adding non-essential items that an employee would have to go get for me.

That is absurd who are they to judge honestly they dont know everyone's situation
:confused3 Then why do you care what "they" think of you, whoever "they" are. What have you got to feel guilty about?
We can't even BUY clothes in our county unless they are pre-packaged. Even at Walmart or stores that are essential.

But honestly, if I am Walmart to buy essentials I have no guilt about buying something maybe less essential.
::yes:: I'm guilty of nothing. My first trip out of the house after 14 days was to Wal-Mart. It wasn't for groceries; I've got more groceries than I can use thanks to many dear people who were concerned and kept us supplied. I went for toiletries, a few household goods and a new game, since staying home has together has put my family in the habit of playing something together every evening. In-and-out in about 20 minutes and I didn't violate any local or provincial mandate, or fail to observe all social-distancing recommendations. I even washed my hands to the count of 20 immediately upon returning home. :laughing:

I bought a TAMU t shirt, some Disney PJs (and am returning them because the fit is awful), some brass holders for my air plants (set of three), a new Nook cover, a new CPAP mask and CPAP headgear. These were my online purchases. At the grocery, I got BOGO Hagen Daas ice cream at Publix (bought two, got two more free), Twizzlers, Caffeine Free Coke (not Diet), and Easter dinner (turkey and the stuff to go with it),

I feel like we have to still maintain our homes. I told my husband to get busy pressure washing the devil (devil???? DECK) because I plan to paint it. If we put it off it’s going to be damaged. Walking in to a store that is open to buy a can of paint to me is not a problem. We aren’t going to walk up and down every aisle. We may even get it with curb pick up

Hardware and home improvement stores have been deemed essential - at least around here. I had a broken light fixture and I ordered a replacement online for pickup at Home Depot. When I got there I saw a line waiting to get in. Then one of the employees walked around saying that anyone with an online pickup could enter immediately to go to the pickup counter. I showed them the text I got for pickup and was told to go right in.

Nobody was stopping me from doing any further shopping while I was in there, but I decided not to push my luck.

Hardware and home improvement stores have been deemed essential - at least around here. I had a broken light fixture and I ordered a replacement online for pickup at Home Depot. When I got there I saw a line waiting to get in. Then one of the employees walked around saying that anyone with an online pickup could enter immediately to go to the pickup counter. I showed them the text I got for pickup and was told to go right in.

Nobody was stopping me from doing any further shopping while I was in there, but I decided not to push my luck.
I agree but I hear people criticizing others for buying paint. In my opinion if the store is open and they are selling something it’s ok to buy it.

I agree but I hear people criticizing others for buying paint. In my opinion if the store is open and they are selling something it’s ok to buy it.

The rationale is that one shouldn't spend more time than needed to get "essentials" because that increases the chance that an asymptomatic or presymptomatic carrier passes on Covid-19 or the chance of getting infected. But then again, stores haven't closed off the their "unessential" departments.

It's kind of odd because discount stores like Target and Walmart are remaining open and still selling a lot of the same types of items that a traditional department store (that will be closed) like Macy's or Kohl's would sell. They manage to stay open because they sell "essentials". If I need new underwear I'd say that's an essential to me. I've taken my kid shopping just to get out of the house and avoid going crazy. We've even gone to the toy section. Without a few new toys my kid would be even crankier.

Still - I've heard that "comfort food" has been selling exceptionally well - especially chips and other snack foods. I don't think they're particularly essential, but that's what people want when they have nothing else to do. I remember shopping for supplies before a hurricane while I was stuck in Florida on vacation. A clerk at Publix suggested salty snack foods because that's one thing that will provide comfort when it's tough. Also enough Dr Pepper for Forrest Gump.

I really don't think I've purchased anything non-essential since this thing started. Just food, household supplies, pharmacy, cat food/litter, and necessary H&BA items like shampoo and toothpaste. I suppose some of the food items weren't vital, like Easter candy and 12 packs of soda.

I just bought some craft supplies and holographic powders to customize some dolls. Doing all my nonessential shopping online rather than in person though.

I started customizing a doll before I got sick, and I'm going crazy wanting to get back to it. So I bought a can of Mr. Super Clear sealant off Amazon. I did need more, but it wasn't essential this month, anyway.

And I'm waiting for candles to go on sale at Bath and Body Works.

We've also been ordering food from local places rather than big franchises to support them and try to help them out. So...yeah, guilty-if that's the proper word.

I agree with you. But I think paint has come under particular criticism because it is a staff-intensive transaction. If I'm at Lowes to buy screen and spline and also get a few bags of seed starting soil, some seed packets, a couple of light bulbs, a storage tote to start packing up my office, and a roll of string for the trimmer, I'm on my own in picking up those things that I want. My staff contact is unchanged by the number of items in my cart. If I want paint, I have to interact directly with an employee who isn't, strictly speaking, essential for the continued operation of the store if they chose to shut down that department (as they have the window/door and custom window treatment desks). So because of that, buying paint in particular seems to agitate people more than buying other items that could be put off or lived without.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter