Anyone else guilty of buying something else non essential

I haven't been to Walmart in weeks, but I read about a week ago that a large number of Walmarts and Targets started blocking off all parts of their stores deemed "non-essential" (i.e. toys, books, clothes, craft supplies etc.). This 'rule' seems to be expanding throughout various states.

This is a weird thing to think about but all I can think of is all those seasonal Easter items that will go to waste and end up in landfills (well, a lot more of it than normal, anyway) because no one is able to browse them and impulse buy.

Why would you feel guilty for buying something that is for sale??
If we all stop buying, that makes the economy even more of a disaster.
Exactly. I go out as much as I can. Just went to Kohls for a pick up. Can’t go in. But they’ll bring it out. Now more than ever we need commerce. Something untill we are all back to normal. I miss church. That starts up again first Sunday in May. Ready to get back.

Last edited:
It's somewhat arbitrary what businesses can stay open under most orders and what can't. I guess a garden nursery business has to close, but a Walmart or Lowe's garden section can stay open since the rest of the store sells "essential" items.

I need a new a wallet. Can't buy one at a department store or an outlet mall, but I can at a discount store or online retailer. These are absolutely weird times we have.
It really just depends on how one's order is written. Most often the places that close are ones that have zero items that count as essential under one's order or have opted to close because they cannot pay their workers even if they were allowed.

One of the nurseries by my mom's house just adjusted their process for curbside and in-store by appointment only (which allows strict contols for how many people in the store at any given time). The place we got our drift roses is a "lawn and garden" (that's actually in their name) place.

I haven't been to Walmart in weeks, but I read about a week ago that a large number of Walmarts and Targets started blocking off all parts of their stores deemed "non-essential" (i.e. toys, books, clothes, craft supplies etc.). This 'rule' seems to be expanding throughout various states.

This is a weird thing to think about but all I can think of is all those seasonal Easter items that will go to waste and end up in landfills (well, a lot more of it than normal, anyway) because no one is able to browse them and impulse buy.

Depends on what it is. Some are "food items" and so far I haven't heard of any order that differentiates between food that's "essential" or "non-essential". Heck - when I've seen sections pretty much cleaned out recently, it's often been chips and other junk foods. I do remember when California had a budget shortfall and there was a so-called "snack tax" where certain food products would be charged for sales tax. The state came up with long lists of what might be a "snack" including chips and candy bars, but then there were those in between like sugary energy bars. I'd certainly hate to have to figure that one out for what can and can't be sold. Especially with many perishable items.

I've heard this too, and it strikes me as a terrible, terrible idea. If the store is open and staffed anyway, people *should* be able to buy things that they need/want and that will help them cope with the isolation in constructive or healthy ways. Not everyone has a stash of a million things to do, read and explore in the house, just waiting to be used. It isn't like those departments are staffed at most mega-stores, so there's no additional personnel burden for allowing people to pick up a book or craft project or board game while they're already in the store for milk, bread and shampoo. But it seems like hysteria is running the response at this point, so nothing really surprises me about it any more.

What’s essential to one is not to another and what’s essential to physical health and what’s essential to mental health may be different.

Some would say buying my 3 year old a bike at Walmart was not essential but to us it was. It’s given her a fantastic outlet of play and exercise and us relief she has that outlet that was missing.

I’d be more frustrated to see the toy department roped off than the liquor department since one to me is essential to keep sanity than the other...

What’s essential to one is not to another and what’s essential to physical health and what’s essential to mental health may be different.

Some would say buying my 3 year old a bike at Walmart was not essential but to us it was. It’s given her a fantastic outlet of play and exercise and us relief she has that outlet that was missing.

I’d be more frustrated to see the toy department roped off than the liquor department since one to me is essential to keep sanity than the other...

Yes that was the point I made earlier, no one knows all of everyone's story

During the first week of quarantine, I bought some drum sticks from a local store and a game from GameStop, both of which I picked up at the door. Neither were necessary but they've helped pass the time.

I didn't feel great about it, but I disinfected the packages, washed my hands, and have otherwise stayed home. I don't think those trips were more dangerous than takeout.

I have become obsessed with audio books because I can listen to one using my noise cancelling headphones while cooking, cleaning, or taking a walk and I have gotten all of them through the OverDrive app linked to my local library system, such an amazing service!

Yes I check them out from time to time. I am currently listening to the most recent Outlander book in between my podcasts.

It's somewhat arbitrary what businesses can stay open under most orders and what can't. I guess a garden nursery business has to close, but a Walmart or Lowe's garden section can stay open since the rest of the store sells "essential" items.

I need a new a wallet. Can't buy one at a department store or an outlet mall, but I can at a discount store or online retailer. These are absolutely weird times we have.

yep, my friend who owns a floral shop had to shut down, yet you can buy flowers at Walmart or our local grocery store. Absurd.

I bought a wristwatch.

From China - I know, living dangerously. Since it is literally coming slow boat anything on it will be long gone by the time it gets here. And I'll wait at least two or three weeks to open it.

Does that PS4 & 8 games count? I was kinda counting it as essential given the shelter & place orders....but maybe it was just an excuse....

Definitely essential. My two Switch Lites and games today were too. (I did order them online though.)

I buy whatever I want and never feel guilty. No clue why I should. I'm helping the economy by purchasing things, and the virus is not prevelent in my city regardless. There is no law against shopping here. Some stores are closed, but if they're open, I'll shop. I think this panic response to the virus is a major mistake and very harmful to many, especially children.

I buy whatever I want and never feel guilty. No clue why I should. I'm helping the economy by purchasing things, and the virus is not prevelent in my city regardless. There is no law against shopping here. Some stores are closed, but if they're open, I'll shop. I think this panic response to the virus is a major mistake and very harmful to many, especially children.

What scares me is hospitals are over capacity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter