Anyone else think we shouldn't go to WDW right now?

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
I was thinking about how sad I've been since my last trip to WDW was dispatched due to Covid. But thinking about how badly I want to return, I just can't see giving up the almighty dollar for a less than stellar trip. I've read trip reports, and I just can't even think about missing all the live entertainment. Anyone else waiting patiently for WDW to re-open to the fullest?

I also think we shouldn't give in and go, force Disney's hand and make them re-hire staff, get shows up and running, reinstate EMH, perks, dining.....

Nope, went twice last year and enjoyed it. Have three trips planned this year, though I may have to cancel one due to a new job and not enough vacation. I agree it is not the same without live entertainment, but it will be back. Seeing as there is nothing going on locally (I am in the D.C. area) I would rather go to WDW than sit around doing nothing at home.

I was thinking about how sad I've been since my last trip to WDW was dispatched due to Covid. But thinking about how badly I want to return, I just can't see giving up the almighty dollar for a less than stellar trip. I've read trip reports, and I just can't even think about missing all the live entertainment. Anyone else waiting patiently for WDW to re-open to the fullest?

I also think we shouldn't give in and go, force Disney's hand and make them re-hire staff, get shows up and running, reinstate EMH, perks, dining.....
I know you’re talking about WDW, but for DL that’s out of their control right now.

But to answer your question, no. I’ll be going to DL because it’s on this coast, as soon as I can. I don’t care that it’s not running at 100%. A lot has been put in perspective in the last year and that includes being happy with most things if it means I’m not staring at the walls of my own home!

I’ll be going to DL because it’s on this coast, as soon as I can. I don’t care that it’s not running at 100%.

Doesn't bother me whether they are 100% or not, but I'm not rushing to go back until they bring my Annual Pass back. Going to WDW on April 30th (trip on the books long before DL announced their reopening), and when we get back we won't need to rush off to DL right away. If they don't announce new passes by mid-June we'll go, but we regularly visit DL once a month, and I can't afford to pay for that if there's no Annual Passes. So hopefully they'll bring them back soon.

If you are a frequent visitor, I would go for it. I have had three trips since they reopened, and have another the end of this month, and although I missed a few things that are closed, there was still enough of the magic there to make it a fun trip.

I would not be as encouraging to people who have never been, or can only visit every few years, as I feel those are the guests who have the most to lose since this could be their one and only or final trip.

We've visited twice since last fall and have two more trips planned before school starts. I have friends who visited for the first time in January and still had a blast. It is what it is...

We went in January for 6 days and had a wonderful time. We're going back in June.

** Edited to add **

We didn't miss all of the shows, but we usually don't frequent all of the shows when we go to WDW or DL. Sure, we'll hit up the fireworks once, but for us, it's not a ruined trip if fireworks aren't available at all.

Re: EMH - according to what Disney announced earlier this year, EMH isn't coming back in its previous form. It'll only be for 30 min before park opening and there aren't any evening EMH.

Dining - there's still plenty of dining available, but if by dining, you're referring to the dining plan then yeah...there's not even a peep out of Disney for when/if they'll bring that back. In the meantime, if you liked the whole part of having your meals paid for before your vacation starts, then just do what us Disneyland-ers do...squirrel the cash away. You could put that on a Disney gift card, for example. Make it simple by setting aside the amount of money per day that you would have paid on the Dining Plan and save it somewhere. Problem solved.

Re: re-hiring CMs - Disney isn't going to be rehiring a bunch of CMs back without increases in guests. So people staying away isn't going to help much with that.

Perks like FP - honestly, you really don't need FPs right now. It's very possible to have a lovely time, minimize your wait times, and go on a lot of attractions right now at WDW without FP. But you'd have to be willing to change up your routine to include:
  • becoming a rope dropper (if you aren't one already)
  • know that the park opens, realistically, 45 min before the published opening time
  • be there 45 min beforehand
  • this means if you're taking Disney transportation to your park, be in line at the bus (or whatever) 90 min before park official opening
  • go on headliner rides early in the morning and at the end of the day
  • be willing to adjust and shift around what you'll go on next/what you'll do next based on crowd traffic patterns (using the app for this)
  • plan in the morning where you'll have lunch or dinner for QS and place a mobile order AHEAD OF TIME so you can pick the time slot that you'll want to eat. Walking up to Pecos Bill's or Docking Bay 7 at 12:00 pm when you're hungry is a good way to end up having to possibly wait until 1:00 or later to actually pick up your food.
  • be willing to deal with the fact that you cannot book ADRs 6 months ahead of time.

Last edited:
We went in august as a family celebration we needed and while it was fun, it was not worth the value at all. We swore we wouldn’t go back until the value for the price returned. And then my kid went and qualified for Nationals for Beta Club and it’s at Disney this June. So back to Disney we go...

My sister and I haven't been since 2017 for our Sisters' Trip, so we're going in December for the 50th anniversary year. I think people coming back will be what gets cast members rehired. I had mixed feelings about going during a pandemic, which is why we pushed it out as far as we could and still be in 2021. We've been several times, and know what we like, and honestly can take or leave the live shows and parades. We must be extra vigilant to be sure...but we must also live.

We've been a few times since July and I'm going back for a solo trip next month, but that'll be it for us until they bring back APs. It was worth the FL resident ticket price for us; we were just coming off a Disney AP "break" when Covid hit, and we hadn't been in a while, and the FL resident tickets are affordable. But we can't keep buying day tickets. We'll be back when APs are back.

Nope, went twice last year and enjoyed it. Have three trips planned this year, though I may have to cancel one due to a new job and not enough vacation. I agree it is not the same without live entertainment, but it will be back. Seeing as there is nothing going on locally (I am in the D.C. area) I would rather go to WDW than sit around doing nothing at home.

Agreed...We aren't "ride or die" Disney types, we fully admit we like taking other types of vacations and WDW is more of a once a year long weekend type getaway for us. With That Being Said...with things (world wide) being so shut down (in general, no not in specific ) we found WDW a easy to navigate somewhat familiar and welcoming place to go to getaway to earlier this year - same with Universal which we went to last October.
We were grateful to have someplace to go when we needed to get away.

WDW Signature Service called me today out of the blue 🤷‍♀️. It was a young lady spoken to several times in the past and it was nice catching up with her.
In the course of the conversation she related some special deals they‘re promoting; told her to give me a call back in 2022....

We're not traveling anywhere at this point. Not just Disney. Just not safe yet. 24 states are experiencing spikes right now. Easter travel and gather's aren't going to help that. Got my first shot today and I am hopeful by fall that things will have turned around enough to feel safe again. I'm in no hurry.

I'm going week after next and even extended my stay an extra day from when I first booked it. Frankly, I would have gone when it first opened but hubby didn't want me to so I put it off. Finally, I said enough is enough I'm going. I never watched shows, parades and rarely watched night time shows. We haven't done a meet and greet for at least 25 years. We never booked ADRs in advance and I'm actually looking forward to finding new places to eat. I haven't booked any yet but have been looking at MDE every day and there is always something available for the night of. I'm not ride centric, I like to ride rides and will but if I only ride 3 a day, I'm o.k. with that, we rarely used FPs when they were available. I will admit having to make a park reservation was a bit of a pain since we don't like to plan but since park hopping is sort of back, I have hoppers and will be hopping.

We're not traveling anywhere at this point. Not just Disney. Just not safe yet. 24 states are experiencing spikes right now. Easter travel and gather's aren't going to help that. Got my first shot today and I am hopeful by fall that things will have turned around enough to feel safe again. I'm in no hurry.
I feel CA will never be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter