Anyone trade points to stay at a non Disney Resort?

kittyab

DIS Veteran
How bad is the exchange? I wanted to stay at a resort near my family that is a not a Disney property. They are on the list to trade points.

You should search RCI exchanges. I remember reading about different experience. It does not seem hard.

A couple years ago I want HHI and not much was available. I was on the phone Ms and they were suggesting RCI exchanges that were available on HH for the same time. It cost $95.00 for the exchange.

I have looked into it for an upcoming vacation to Arizona. Call MS they are very helpful.:thumbsup2

How bad is the exchange? I wanted to stay at a resort near my family that is a not a Disney property. They are on the list to trade points.

You would have to do your homework to see if the exchange is a good one. Check Tripadvisor and DVC RCI website for reviews. Once you decide on a property, you can run it by some of the RCI owners on the site to see what their feelings are. Basically, if it's a resort you want to stay at then it would be worth it for you. You just need to check and see what the amenities and extra fees are.

Gold crown properties are the better properties. Keep in mind that RCI probably doesn't have the same refurbishment schedule that Disney does. I have done two RCI exchanges so far(Las Vegas and Hawaii) and I have two more coming up. I've found the resorts to be fine and have everything I need. You have to remember that you're not at Disney and that things will be different. If you do that, you'll be fine.

Where are you looking to change into? We own at Lake of The Ozarks-belong to II-have never had a bad resort or trouble getting what we want (Cayman, Disney area several times, Vegas several times, and family members have exchanged overseas and around country for years). When our Resort belonged to RCI it seemed there were limited exchanges and anything not gold crown wasn't quite as nice.

IMO only a small subset of exchanges offer real value and often those are not available.

You would have to do your homework to see if the exchange is a good one. Check Tripadvisor and DVC RCI website for reviews. Once you decide on a property, you can run it by some of the RCI owners on the site to see what their feelings are. Basically, if it's a resort you want to stay at then it would be worth it for you. You just need to check and see what the amenities and extra fees are.

Gold crown properties are the better properties. Keep in mind that RCI probably doesn't have the same refurbishment schedule that Disney does. I have done two RCI exchanges so far(Las Vegas and Hawaii) and I have two more coming up. I've found the resorts to be fine and have everything I need. You have to remember that you're not at Disney and that things will be different. If you do that, you'll be fine.
IMO TUG offers a far better evaluation than TA which I find to be poor at best though the sheer volume can give you some info if you sort through it all. Gold crown is a designation based on a checklist of criteria and while GC may generally be better than SC, there are many exceptions both ways. As a rule the RCI resorts have a better refurbishment schedule than does DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter