anyone turned down for FREE DINING??

maddhatir

DIS Veteran
I read on another thread that there were a limited amount of the free dining promotions??

is this true? or will EVERYONE that requests the promotion for the dates allowed be able to get FREE DINING??

has anyone been turned down because of this yet??

just wondering! :confused3

We could have gotten the free dining plan if we wanted to rebook our trip and pay the rack rate for a standard room. We have a preferred room, which we chose to keep.

Free Dining is already posted on the website in the "Offers" section. A friend of mine in Canada said she saw an ad yesterday, too.

PoohGal05 said:
We could have gotten the free dining plan if we wanted to rebook our trip and pay the rack rate for a standard room. We have a preferred room, which we chose to keep.

Wow, have you crunched your numbers? A preferred room over a standard room at Movies is not worth passing on this huge savings. Just request Dalamtian section or Toy Story section (I prefer Mighty Ducks myself). Considering the DDP for 2 adults alone is valued at $76 per day and adding children is even more savings, I would take another look at this promotion.

Last year we had a room at Pop booked at the cast rate of $46 a night, but didn't hestitate to pay rack rate of $77 a night in order to get free dining. It cost me $325 more by switching (because I had to add 4 one day tickets), but my dining savings exceeded $2,000.

n2mm said:
Wow, have you crunched your numbers? A preferred room over a standard room at Movies is not worth passing on this huge savings. Just request Dalamtian section or Toy Story section (I prefer Mighty Ducks myself). Considering the DDP for 2 adults alone is valued at $76 per day and adding children is even more savings, I would take another look at this promotion.

Last year we had a room at Pop booked at the cast rate of $46 a night, but didn't hestitate to pay rack rate of $77 a night in order to get free dining. It cost me $325 more by switching (because I had to add 4 one day tickets), but my dining savings exceeded $2,000.

Actually, my TA did the number crunching. And a preferred room is worth it to me, especially since my mom has problem with her knees. I have been in the Mighty Ducks 2 and 3 buildings and as much as I didn't mind being in those buildings, we just decided we wanted something closer to the main building.

And to me, this free dining plan really ISN'T free and this is just my opinion. They aren't offering it me without a cost and we're already going to be down there during that time. Plus, even between the 2 of us, we're not going to eat what it would cost for us to switch Sure I would love to try some of the Signature restaurants, but my guess is trying to get in anywhere would be next to impossible.

PoohGal05 said:
Actually, my TA did the number crunching. And a preferred room is worth it to me, especially since my mom has problem with her knees. I have been in the Mighty Ducks 2 and 3 buildings and as much as I didn't mind being in those buildings, we just decided we wanted something closer to the main building.

And to me, this free dining plan really ISN'T free and this is just my opinion. They aren't offering it me without a cost and we're already going to be down there during that time. Plus, even between the 2 of us, we're not going to eat what it would cost for us to switch Sure I would love to try some of the Signature restaurants, but my guess is trying to get in anywhere would be next to impossible.

TWO COMMENTS:

(1) Preferred vs. Standard room has nothing to do with it. You can order the free dining with a Preferred room...just not a Suite.

(2) How can you call it anything other than free? Your meals, drinks, tax, and 18% tip are all included. The only way it isn't free is if you choose to purchase alcholic beverages. Some restaurants don't include milkshakes either. Everything else is included. If you booked with a AAA discount you might lose a little bit of that discount...the only way I can understand calling the food NOT FREE is if you consider the loss of discount a meal cost. In deluxe rooms this can be a big deal, but not at Value resorts. Even if you are staying for 10 days and plan to bring sandwiches into the park and eat fast food offsite for dinner, you'll still come out cheaper overall to take the free dining. The dining plan is a no-lose situation at the value resorts and even some moderate resort packages.

We (two adults) came out $500 cheaper with this plan as compared to the AAA rate we had. We did switch dates to take advantage of the offer, but we kept out preferred room at Pop and added a day to our room and tickets.

I was offered a preferred room at ASMo today with the free dining. Turned it down for standard.

formernyer said:
TWO COMMENTS:

(2) How can you call it anything other than free? Your meals, drinks, tax, and 18% tip are all included

i agree- FREE is FREE- there is no other way to look at it.

you can do the calculation yourself- just go to the disney site like you are going to make a ressie- put in you room and ticket info- get a price, (but dont go as far as to confirm your ressie) and this is the pirce you will pay.....however, with the free dining! its right there in black and white....

i am confused.....how else is disney getting more money??

1) There are a limited number of rooms/resorts/dates available. It's certainly possible free dining wasn't available for a preferred room for the resort and dates the poster was interested in.

2) I agree MYW Dining is a good deal, even better when it's "free". BUT getting "free" dining requires a rack rate room reservation. Guests that are able to book AP,CM and FL resident discounted rates are certainly paying for dining. Some deluxe guests may even prefer a AAA discount. "Free" dining also requires a pass purchase. Some guests may have old passes they would otherwise use.

formernyer said:
TWO COMMENTS:

(1) Preferred vs. Standard room has nothing to do with it. You can order the free dining with a Preferred room...just not a Suite.

(2) How can you call it anything other than free? Your meals, drinks, tax, and 18% tip are all included. The only way it isn't free is if you choose to purchase alcholic beverages. Some restaurants don't include milkshakes either. Everything else is included. If you booked with a AAA discount you might lose a little bit of that discount...the only way I can understand calling the food NOT FREE is if you consider the loss of discount a meal cost. In deluxe rooms this can be a big deal, but not at Value resorts. Even if you are staying for 10 days and plan to bring sandwiches into the park and eat fast food offsite for dinner, you'll still come out cheaper overall to take the free dining. The dining plan is a no-lose situation at the value resorts and even some moderate resort packages.

We turned it down. Because our vacation spans August 10-20, it would require seperate reservations -- the 10th to the 13th, and 13 to the 20th. When all was said and done, I would gain around $50... Simply put, it wasn't worth it having to possibly change rooms, deal with check out/check in, etc.

I first emailed my AAA agent last friday and she said she'd check. Over the weekend I created my own spreadsheet and plugged in the numbers -- the numbers didn't lie and it just didn't seem worth the hassle. I inserted part of my spreadsheet in my second email to my agent and she reviewed it with Disney. Yep. I was correct. For some of you I'm sure $50 is $50 ... but to me it just wasn't worth the potential disruption.

I didn't say preferred vs. standard had anything to do with it. We had just already booked our trip last November for our trip in August and we asked for a standard. My TA said the preferred rooms that were available were already booked and we would have to book a standard.

formernyer said:
TWO COMMENTS:

For us it is worth paying rack rate because we have five people in our family (two teens who count as adults). That alone is about $165 in free dining, so it makes sense for us. I heard it did not sell out last year so hopefully it won't this year.

PoohGal05 said:

We have a pref. room and still got free dining :banana:

I went to the WDW website tonight and did not see "offers" category that everyone said the free dining deal was under. Does that mean it is sold out already???? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter