• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

I have a Platinum AP (out of state). It was due to expire August 28, 2020. It was then extended to around the end of December, and now, finally, the additional 30 days and it is January 23rd, 2021.

If I cancelled today, how much would I get back? Would they refund me only from March 15 (was that the date?) till August 28, (my original expiration and it would be appx. 5 months and a week) or January 23rd, 2021 (which would be 10 months worth?)
You should get back 117 days (parks closed) plus 48 days (parks reopened July 11 then count the days until your original pass expires on August 28). So 165 days. Take the amount you paid for your pass (with tax) and divide by 365. Then multiply that number by 165 to get your estimated refund.

This is my calculation, not Disney's, and ymmv. The 30 days extra is for people who are keeping their pass, not cancelling. The date the parks closed was March 16.

best one to use is
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
Make sure to write in the body of the message for them to call you and leave a phone number, if you want them to call you directly
Anyone that has emailed this email address how long have they taken to respond? I emailed them and left my phone number and explained my situation that we upgraded 8 day tickets to annual passes with gift cards and would like to cancel our annual passes and should get around 9/12 months of the cost back of our platinum passes. We have not received an email with the 2 choices, we haven't had our passes extended either the 117 days yet only the 30 days they seem to add to everyone's passes.

I have an out of state Platinum AP (Activated Feb 2020). Sometime in the three month closure I called and requested the partial refund. I also recently got the e-mail where you could choose the ticket extension or the full partial refund and chose the refund. Then last week I received an e-mail telling me my refund request has been processed and it may take 7 to 10 business days to receive. Today I see the credit from Disney to my credit card that I used to purchase the AP, FOR $55.21!?!? I can't understand at all how they arrived at this dollar amount. I've been on hold with a CM this morning while they try to find someone to figure out details of the refund.

For those who have received the partial refund for the 117 closed park days: Have you found that the above formula was used for your refund? I just received our refund this morning and received significantly less than the OP. We paid about the same amount for our renewal passes as the OP. I made a split payment with a gift card and the rest paid by credit card, but the majority of the payment was with CC. Is it possible, part of the refund went back to a gift card? Has anyone had a similar experience? I've been on hold with the VIPassholder line. Just curious if anyone else had this experiences. TIA.

A refund just posted on my credit card today (back-dated to 7/16) for a smaller amount ($102.01) than I was expecting as well.

DVC Gold Pass for $649 (includes tax) activated 1/23/2020 (MDE shows expires 6/19/2021 so closure + 30 days).
649/365 = 1.778/day
1.778*117 days = $208 refund expected

Plus, it should be for 2 passes, so we're way off.

Guess it's time to call again....

I have an out of state Platinum AP (Activated Feb 2020). Sometime in the three month closure I called and requested the partial refund. I also recently got the e-mail where you could choose the ticket extension or the full partial refund and chose the refund. Then last week I received an e-mail telling me my refund request has been processed and it may take 7 to 10 business days to receive. Today I see the credit from Disney to my credit card that I used to purchase the AP, FOR $55.21!?!? I can't understand at all how they arrived at this dollar amount. I've been on hold with a CM this morning while they try to find someone to figure out details of the refund.
We received a much smaller refund yesterday than expected with the full cancellation. I called and was told that refund was just for the closure period. There is supposedly a second refund coming if you chose complete cancellation with the latest email from last week.

We received a much smaller refund yesterday than expected with the full cancellation. I called and was told that refund was just for the closure period. There is supposedly a second refund coming if you chose complete cancellation with the latest email from last week.

I assumed it was going to be just for the closure period since I got an e-mail so soon after selecting the full refund. But I paid the full $1191.74 for the annual pass. How do you get $55 for three months of closure which by my math should be closer to $382.

I assumed it was going to be just for the closure period since I got an e-mail so soon after selecting the full refund. But I paid the full $1191.74 for the annual pass. How do you get $55 for three months of closure which by my math should be closer to $382.
$55 is definitely off. We received $119 each pass. Their handling of this Has been one debacle after another.

Somewhere in another thread it was mentioned that someone clicked through the email to request cancellation, expecting a refund. The AP department called this person and told them they will not get any money back because they had already used their AP for entry 17 times. It appears that Disney's refund calculation takes into consideration how many times you already used your AP (???)

If that is the case, it was mentioned NOWHERE by Disney and is shady as all get-out, IMO.

So just want to ask the experts.

We have two paid in full plantinum passes expring this August. They do not have our payment info so it will have to come back to us in form of a gift card.

Back in the spring I requested a refund for the closure period and was told I'd get a call back and never did. My passes never extended. Now I have the email to cancel my passes but my new expiration date is Sept (from the 1 month extension). I was told that if I cancelled now I'd get a refund for the one month (July-Aug) but that the closure period would be a separate refund...

It seems they have no way to tell me when this is coming. Should I keep calling? I'm not sure what to do. It's quite a bit of money for two platinum passes.

You should get back 117 days (parks closed) plus 48 days (parks reopened July 11 then count the days until your original pass expires on August 28). So 165 days. Take the amount you paid for your pass (with tax) and divide by 365. Then multiply that number by 165 to get your estimated refund.

This is my calculation, not Disney's, and ymmv. The 30 days extra is for people who are keeping their pass, not cancelling. The date the parks closed was March 16.
Thank you! It might be worth a phone call to them!

Still no 30-day extra extension on my FL Gold AP, only the 117 days I got previously. Anyone else? I wonder if I'll need to click the email link to say I want the extra month...

I cancelled my family's passes. Then a few days later, they still gave us a one month extension. I think the systems are all messed up.

These anecdotal reports are quite disturbing. Some people (like me), haven't gotten any email at all yet. Other people are getting very low refund amounts (when considering that the parks were closed 117/365). Most importantly, nobody is told how much of a refund they are going to get when executing a refund request (whether it's via the email link or if they call in). Is anyone OK with that? These are large sums of money. We are not arguing over $10 or $20.

My wife and I had paid in full Gold passes which started on Oct 16, 2019. I had called the AP line the first week of June requesting the partial refund. I've checked our credit card periodically but no refund as of yesterday morning.

I went on line and saw that our APs were extended the extra month. I was concerned that my original partial refund request hadn't been logged so I called right when the AP office opened and it was picked up immediately (no wait at all!). I talked to a very helpful CM. I told her that we had requested a partial refund but now we wanted to cancel our APs. She asked for my AP number and then read the options available, and asked if I wanted to cancel saying that once a choice was made it couldn't be changed. She then asked for my wife's AP number and once given asked to speak to her. She asked her the same questions to cancel the AP.

I asked her how the refunds would work since I had originally asked for a partial refund. She stated that "it depended on who worked on our refund" so take this with a grain (pound?) of salt. She said that I might still get the partial refund less any lock out dates and then a second refund from July 11 to my original AP end date in October 2020 less any lock out dates. OR, I could get one refund that would cover July 11 to my AP end date plus the 117 days less any lock out dates. She also said that refunds would be sent out mid to late September.

I also told her that we had not received the email that was supposed to be sent out. She said that when (if?) we receive the email to ignore it as she had already canceled our APs.

She sent a email to both my wife and I stating that our APs were canceled.

Somewhere in another thread it was mentioned that someone clicked through the email to request cancellation, expecting a refund. The AP department called this person and told them they will not get any money back because they had already used their AP for entry 17 times. It appears that Disney's refund calculation takes into consideration how many times you already used your AP (???)

If that is the case, it was mentioned NOWHERE by Disney and is shady as all get-out, IMO.

If that is what they are doing, they need to get the formula out there ASAP. It might actually SAVE them money. Smaller refunds means fewer people canceling their passes.

My AP was activated December 12 and the parks closed in mid-March. Using a straight per diem calculation, I should get almost 9 month’s value back, or about 3/4 of the purchase price.

However, If they calculate by usage, how many days are they using to satisfy full value? I used the pass nine times over two short trips - four and five days each. If they are comparing the price of hopper passes for my trips, then my value is already gone because one five-day hopper plus one four-day hopper equals more than what I paid for my AP. I know this because I still have the receipts for my travel companions’ passes.

Even if they are using an arbitrary number of days, say 12, I would only get about 1/4 of the purchase price back. For that amount, the better decision would be to gamble and keep the pass - hoping to get one more trip out of it before its extended expiration on May 8.

I sure hope Disney gets this information out there before August 11. Many passholders are probably in the same boat.

I see so many people reporting this in Facebook, it just doesn’t make sense to me to give people an extension, if they opt for it. Give people a refund for time closed, if they opt for it. But “gotcha” to a lot the people that cancel, which was an option Disney gave also. How would they even calculate days used? A 6 day ticket costs less per day than a one day ticket/or so many other options. This is all so frustrating

It looks like they made a mistake since you activated your pass in Feb 2020, so you should get most of your money back. DH and I also paid about $1190 for each Platinum AP (activated in Nov 2019) received about $383 each ($3.26 per day for 117 days) last week for the closure period. We should be getting about $404 each for full cancellation (that is $3.26 per day for 124 days July 11 until Nov 2020 our expiration date). Hope they figure out what happened soon.

If that is what they are doing, they need to get the formula out there ASAP. It might actually SAVE them money. Smaller refunds means fewer people canceling their passes.

My AP was activated December 12 and the parks closed in mid-March. Using a straight per diem calculation, I should get almost 9 month’s value back, or about 3/4 of the purchase price.

However, If they calculate by usage, how many days are they using to satisfy full value? I used the pass nine times over two short trips - four and five days each. If they are comparing the price of hopper passes for my trips, then my value is already gone because one five-day hopper plus one four-day hopper equals more than what I paid for my AP. I know this because I still have the receipts for my travel companions’ passes.

Even if they are using an arbitrary number of days, say 12, I would only get about 1/4 of the purchase price back. For that amount, the better decision would be to gamble and keep the pass - hoping to get one more trip out of it before its extended expiration on May 8.

I sure hope Disney gets this information out there before August 11. Many passholders are probably in the same boat.

It would be utterly unreasonable to consider AP access days in any way comparable to regular entry tickets unless their conversion rate is something like a minimum 7 AP days = 1 regular ticket day. It's not a huge difference for out-of-state folks who stay in a hotel and spend the whole day at the parks, but for those of us who are local, there's just no comparison because we don't necessarily use the pass the same way. I rarely go on more than 3-4 rides on a given day when I visit. I've had days where I just stopped by MK just to watch the parade. I've gone to Hollywood Studios just to ride RotR or AK to rope drop FoP and then headed to Universal Studios for the rest of the day after just that one ride. Those single visits are not in any way equal to the experience that someone is buying with a regular single-day ticket. Part of what we're paying for with the AP is the convenience of visiting at our leisure and not feeling the need to cram everything in at once because we can come back whenever we want.

Of course, "reasonable" has not exactly been Disney's MO through all of this, so it's certainly not impossible that they're doing that, but if they are, it's absolutely a betrayal of what the AP is supposed to be as far as I'm concerned. Uuuugh, why the heck won't they just COMMUNICATE?! Tell us what counts, what doesn't, what the refund amounts will be! I'm just baffled at how they're managing to make things *worse* with every step they take rather than better.

It would be utterly unreasonable to consider AP access days in any way comparable to regular entry tickets unless their conversion rate is something like a minimum 7 AP days = 1 regular ticket day. It's not a huge difference for out-of-state folks who stay in a hotel and spend the whole day at the parks, but for those of us who are local, there's just no comparison because we don't necessarily use the pass the same way. I rarely go on more than 3-4 rides on a given day when I visit. I've had days where I just stopped by MK just to watch the parade. I've gone to Hollywood Studios just to ride RotR or AK to rope drop FoP and then headed to Universal Studios for the rest of the day after just that one ride. Those single visits are not in any way equal to the experience that someone is buying with a regular single-day ticket. Part of what we're paying for with the AP is the convenience of visiting at our leisure and not feeling the need to cram everything in at once because we can come back whenever we want.

Of course, "reasonable" has not exactly been Disney's MO through all of this, so it's certainly not impossible that they're doing that, but if they are, it's absolutely a betrayal of what the AP is supposed to be as far as I'm concerned. Uuuugh, why the heck won't they just COMMUNICATE?! Tell us what counts, what doesn't, what the refund amounts will be! I'm just baffled at how they're managing to make things *worse* with every step they take rather than better.

Not providing the cancelation refund formula is just horrible of Disney! That’s like buying something and not knowing how much it will cost until you receive the bill two months later…oh and by the way you can’t change your mind!! Disney seems dead set on not releasing a cancellation refund calculation which scares me they are hiding something. I’ve emailed and chatted a couple times with no success. I do think it would help for as many of us as possible to reach out demanding the cancelation refund calculation...maybe if enough of us voice concern they will release that info.? Asking us to make a nonreversible decision about cancellation without providing the cancellation refund calculation is so wrong. If the calculation is anything other than dividing the cost of your pass by 365 multiplied by your remaining access days I’m certain there will be a class action.

I'm shocked at how bad Disney handled the APs. I never got a confirmation after I spoke to Disney cancelling our passes which are still showing in MDE with an added month. Since we are Florida residents on the monthly payment plan, we don't get a refund or maybe we do for the part of March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter