Aulani updates and this is a little ridiculous

James Rhoades

Mouseketeer
So... I'm still here at aulani and it is an incredibly beautiful resort with typical kind Disney workers. I am a little frustrated though at a few things that I thought others should know.
1.) I was just rejected the "secret" DVC member drink for $7 bc of covid but they then offered it to me for $16. I thought they were joking and commented this doesn't make sense. The bartender laughed and agreed but said he doesn't make the rules. I didn't say anything else but was disappointed.
2.) I feel like I'm being nickled and find to death. We did the Luau which was amazing but for a party of 8, you would think the pictures world either be included in the resort photo pass or included in the $1100 I paid for the luau. Instead it was another $40.
3.) character breakfast was decent but same story on photos. The first picture with Mickey was included in photo pass but the second pictures with chip and Dale were another $40 and not included.

What is the point of photo pass if half the pictures are not included?

Then throw on top Auntys beach house being closed, story telling by fire pit gone, many other activities still MIA.

Believe me, I understand some activities being side lined but this is a little much. I'm very disappointed in this.

First trip or you’re comparing to others vacays or your own prior experience at Aulani?

First trip here at aulani but I've been to boardwalk, beach club, poly, and bay lake. Boardwalk is my home resort and I've been there 8-10 times.

Just my experiences with other DVC resorts and Disney in general this is really weird to me. Especially the picture things with a lot not being included.

Like I said though, this is a stunningly beautiful resort and I'm glad I came. But when I spend this much money for a picture pass, a luau, and everything else, I expect that ALL pictures taken by Disney staff would be included. then the drink thing hit hard bc they claimed they had to stop the offering bc of covid but then offered me the same drink for $16.

First trip here at aulani but I've been to boardwalk, beach club, poly, and bay lake. Boardwalk is my home resort and I've been there 8-10 times.

Just my experiences with other DVC resorts and Disney in general this is really weird to me. Especially the picture things with a lot not being included.

Like I said though, this is a stunningly beautiful resort and I'm glad I came. But when I spend this much money for a picture pass, a luau, and everything else, I expect that ALL pictures taken by Disney staff would be included. then the drink thing hit hard bc they claimed they had to stop the offering bc of covid but then offered me the same drink for $16.
I rail them for stuff like this in the post stay survey. We just got back and the picture money grab at the luau was gross. Personally I think socially distanced pics look beyond silly ... And they all but force you to stand in a line to take the photo.

I think your irritation is justified, esp since you paid for the photo pass... Do you at least get the digital version?

But hey, free popcorn refills 🍿!😋

The luau is not produced by Disney, it is produced by a third party called "Pleasant Activities," if that makes any difference to you.

At Walt Disney World character dining, they don't have photographers at all. You take your own pictures. So I'm not sure why "character dining included in PhotoPass" is something that would have been baked into your expectations from your experience at Walt Disney World.

Then throw on top Auntys beach house being closed, story telling by fire pit gone, many other activities still MIA.
Wait until you hear about this thing called SARS-CoV-2. It's been in all the papers.

Last edited:
It's really important to understand that Hawaii has handled COVID entirely differently than Florida has, and it heavily influences offerings at Aulani versus even what is being done at COVID-era WDW, which is more restricted than pre-COVID WDW.

Hawaii is much more heavily regulated for tourism in general.

Wait until you hear about this thing called SARS-CoV-2. It's been in all the papers.
Funny thing how a number of other HI and Oahu properties have figured out a way to return to their 2019 offerings .... It just seems to be Aulani de-contenting their product. Of course Disney hasn't done that anywhere else ... or is that everywhere else?

Most of the resorts with Kids Clubs, like the Royal Hawaiian, have really reduced offerings. My understanding is that Hawaiian Village has basically shut down Camp Penguin.
My kids went to a fully opened kids club a few hundred feet from Aulani this summer while aunties was closed. Pre delta. Aulani can do what they want — and a small group of diehards would not care if Aulani drained the pools and gave you a single towel. But most people care - read their previously pristine TripAdvisor reviews. Brutal. And to blame a dvc reduced price drink not being available on Covid is ludicrous and is kind of offensive to how Covid has impacted us all.

The luau is not produced by Disney, it is produced by a third party called "Pleasant Activities," if that makes any difference to you.

At Walt Disney World character dining, they don't have photographers at all. You take your own pictures. So I'm not sure why "character dining included in PhotoPass" is something that would have been baked into your expectations from your experience at Walt Disney World.

Have you been to Aulani post Covid?

I agree about Aulani's photopass being a waste of money since few pics are actually included - this has always been the case, even before covid.

The good news is that the storytelling has been moved to the pool area and you should be able to catch is three times a night around 7pm-9pm.

I agree about Aulani's photopass being a waste of money since few pics are actually included - this has always been the case, even before covid.

The good news is that the storytelling has been moved to the pool area and you should be able to catch is three times a night around 7pm-9pm.
My Luau pictures were included this summer - we did the VIP, is that why?

I agree... that's all absolutely ridiculous, but especially the photopass pics not included!! The drink price... insane! We were at Aulani in 2019 and loved the resort itself but I rented a car and we spent all of our time exploring the island; we hiked to Makapu'u tide pools, went to the North Shore, snorkeled at Shark's cove, jumped off the giant rock at Waimea Bay; swam with Dolphins in the wild. :) The resort was renovating the lazy river and one of the main pools so it was closed... they gave us a $200 room credit for that. The food at the resort was terrible except for the quick service with the flatbread pizzas but they closed SO early everyday! We ate at the buffet one night and it was so bad we asked for a refund after just a few bites; the manager was incredibly rude and she acted pissed that we didn't like the food. I was so nice about it too and even apologized for bothering her. The lagoon at the resort was closed for swimming because the water was too dirty! There was a sign up stating NOT to get in the water. :scared: With all of that said we had a great time because we left the resort everyday and went exploring. We were actually booked at BLT for this April but after seeing the new AP prices I decided to use that 2K for plane tickets back to Aulani so we're going again next spring. I really hope the food has improved but we're making plans to eat off property more this time. LOL!

My kids went to a fully opened kids club a few hundred feet from Aulani this summer while aunties was closed. Pre delta. Aulani can do what they want — and a small group of diehards would not care if Aulani drained the pools and gave you a single towel. But most people care - read their previously pristine TripAdvisor reviews. Brutal. And to blame a dvc reduced price drink not being available on Covid is ludicrous and is kind of offensive to how Covid has impacted us all.
Aulani never had pristine TripAdvisor reviews. They always got beat up by people who didn't like the price tag, particularly from DVC members trying to "do Hawaii" on the cheap.

Aulani never had pristine TripAdvisor reviews. They always got beat up by people who didn't like the price tag, particularly from DVC members trying to "do Hawaii" on the cheap.
Their 5 star reviews outnumber 1,2,3 and 4 star reviews combined.

Now that you say that, I do feel like the harshest reviews I read are from DVC people who are upset it's not like WDW. That and people who go knowing covid exists but somehow still upset that it has changed things. Like - that would make sense 6-12 months ago. But now, surely the info has crossed your radar, right?

I‘m a DVC member and Aulani is one of my home resorts. I also own at BLT, SS, and VGC. Staying at Aulani is very different from staying at a WDW or DL DVC resort. The most notable differences are that Hawaii is very expensive and things work slightly differently at Aulani vs a WDW resort. Most of us are not used to paying Hawaii prices for food, activities, or lodging. While you can do Hawaii as cheaply or expensively as you want, a lot of people experience sticker shock when they see what they get for the money they pay. Add to that traveling during a pandemic when limited services are open and it can seem an even worse value.

As OP have mentioned, some activities and services at Aulani are run by separate vendors. I’ve also attended several luaus across Hawaii and Aulani’s price is in line with what is normally charged. I always book the VIP version of any luau I attend to get early entry, priority seating closest to the stage, first crack at the buffet, and the picture included. As a rule, a lot of activities in Hawaii charge extra for pictures. As a solo traveler, I have taken my own pictures and paid for pictures when I couldn't easily do so.

In December, I’ll be back in Hawaii island hopping and staying in Waikiki(so that I’m closer to the activities I want to do). While I’m only staying one night at Aulani, I haven’t been deterred by any of the services that may not be open or restrictions that are in place at the properties where I’ll be staying. After having to cancel several planned international trips due to COVID restrictions, I’m just happy to be going somewhere after 18 months of being at home.

Now that you say that, I do feel like the harshest reviews I read are from DVC people who are upset it's not like WDW.
I don't want to be "that guy" but DVC enables people who can't really afford the trip to "afford" the trip, but only kind of. If your budget doesn't allow you to rent a car at island prices, park the car at island prices, and feed your family at island prices, skip the island vacation even if you have the points.

Note I'm not talking to OP here, I'm talking to TripAdvisor reviewers.

But now, surely the info has crossed your radar, right?
It's been in all the papers.

My Luau pictures were included this summer - we did the VIP, is that why?
I’m not sure about the luau, but I do remember feeling nickel and dime’ed for some of the character meal pics.

Considering the number of Photopass pic opportunities that exist at Aulani vs. Disneyland and that both resorts charge about $99, Aulani’s photopass program isn’t worth the money to me.

It's been in all the papers.
That one made me laugh both times (especially because the only time I've been to Aulani was ... as Covid descended).

And I must admit - I could only afford Aulani due to renting DVC points and choosing what I did on Oahu (having explored Big Island and with a plan to explore Maui, and coming off of a really stressful life event - all I wanted to do was crash at Aulani and soak it up). And I got exactly what I wanted (minus arriving right as the world started shutting down for Covid - but it meant that staying at Aulani was nooooooo problem). But I agree - it really is so important to realize your larger point about costs before jumping in (and culture and expectations and everything). I'm often amazed that I enjoyed my time at Aulani because nearly everything about Oahu was not for me (I flew in early and rented a car, wanting to explore some nature, Waikiki, and visit the Disney store at Ala Moana - and I did Waikiki/the mall first and that was not a great idea right after several days on the Big Island and almost no people). I just noped out of it - checked out North Shore and went to Aulani earlier than planned. But Aulani was perfect for me - I'm the sort of person who super enjoys camping and hiking most of the time and then once in a while going to WDW. And that's how my trip to Hawaii was planned - lots of outdoors/alone time with a brief drop-in to a resort where I just ate up the amenities and stuff before planning to go back to nature and introversion, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter