Aulani updates and this is a little ridiculous

I’m a blue (NY) state democrat.
Not saying is politically related, and NY is a big state (I'm from upstate originally) with different experiences through Covid. Points above about Hawaii being not like WDW pre-covid are also valid and play a role. I don't think the cost of going to FL was ever comparable to going to HI.

Right. I was just at WDW and I think there are some precautions in place that make sense (I wouldn't have gone w/o indoor masking, given the level of community spread at the time). Some don't make sense, and housekeeping is one of them. That's purely a staffing and cost decision.

I do have a friend who was just hired into housekeeping at WDW a few weeks ago though, so I do think they are working on it. I don't expect ramping back up to be fast, talent shortages are a challenge globally across industries right now, unfortunately.
Don't forget that the borders are still essentially closed to immigration. Central American and Haitian immigrants, not to mention the cultural representative program, are huge labor pipelines for the Florida toruism industry and Disney in particular.

(Not making a political claim as to whether this is good or bad, only that it Is.)

The difference between me and the people mad at Disney are where I place the blame. The state of Hawaii seems hell-bent on killing their one major industry, both with explicit regulations and just a general hostility to visitors. I don't blame Disney for that.
I agree with this - Disney is in a bad position based on the continuing uncertainty coming from the state of HI (in NY we show our info to eat indoors, but there was notice and good clear messaging) and as a large corporation they can’t be as nimble as other hotel groups.

Not saying is politically related, and NY is a big state (I'm from upstate originally) with different experiences through Covid. Points above about Hawaii being not like WDW pre-covid are also valid and play a role. I don't think the cost of going to FL was ever comparable to going to HI.
I have lived in NYC for 15 years and just moved to a NYC adjacent suburb bc living in NYC was terrifying to me in march 20. Blue state professional.

Don't forget that the borders are still essentially closed to immigration. Central American and Haitian immigrants, not to mention the cultural representative program, are huge labor pipelines for the Florida toruism industry and Disney in particular.

(Not making a political claim as to whether this is good or bad, only that it Is.)
Yes. There are a lot of factors at play, but nearly every big company is dealing with high attrition and a talent shortage right now. Travel and hospitality is especially hard hit because of the surge in demand, but so is pretty much every industry that hires people. Its not just a US issue either, so far beyond the scope of US political decisions.

As aulani owners as well as several DW resorts we miss aulani desperately. We were there 7 years in a row before Covid. Although we are all vaccinated and willing to get a test we will probably wait until restrictions are lessened a little more until we return. We are very blessed that we can afford annual trips without it being financial burden, both air and the expensive cost of Hawaii in general.
I do find the reduction of housekeeping ridiculous. But it’s that way at all the resorts
We always do our own pictures so it’s never occurred to me to pay. And compared to other luaus it’s never seemed that expensive for the quality of entertainment and food. We look forward to returning as soon as we can.

I have lived in NYC for 15 years and just moved to a NYC adjacent suburb bc living in NYC was terrifying to me in march 20. Blue state professional.
Then you may not be in the group I'm referring to <shrug>.

I've significantly cut down my time on these boards because the majority of posts feel like complaining about Aulani, DL, Disney in general, etc. I just want to get excited about my trip and what I CAN do, knowing there's a lot we can't or choose not to do.
I'm not saying there's any one person driving that vibe, but with Aulani I hear it over and over and over again, especially about Aunties. There's nothing surprising at all to me about Aulani not being 100% to what it was 2 years ago.

Then you may not be in the group I'm referring to <shrug>.

I've significantly cut down my time on these boards because the majority of posts feel like complaining about Aulani, DL, Disney in general, etc. I just want to get excited about my trip and what I CAN do, knowing there's a lot we can't or choose not to do.
I'm not saying there's any one person driving that vibe, but with Aulani I hear it over and over and over again, especially about Aunties. There's nothing surprising at all to me about Aulani not being 100% to what it was 2 years ago.
I get what you are saying. It is negative. But I was there in July split time between Aulani, FS next door and Royal Hawaiian and the only place I felt Covid safety measures were somewhat lax was Aulani (mostly bc you are always queuing) and they had (by far) the most aggressive and confusing reductions in service. I feel like $DIS does some sort of surveillance of this board and I don’t want legitimate concerns voiced by people spending their hard earned money to be shot down reflexively.

I get what you are saying. It is negative. But I was there in July split time between Aulani, FS next door and Royal Hawaiian and the only place I felt Covid safety measures were somewhat lax was Aulani (mostly bc you are always queuing) and they had (by far) the most aggressive and confusing reductions in service. I feel like $DIS does some sort of surveillance of this board and I don’t want legitimate concerns voiced by people spending their hard earned money to be shot down reflexively.
For the love of God, don't encourage them by suggesting they need MORE COVID safety measures. COVID safety measures are what's keeping people away, and people staying away is what's causing the other stuff that has nothing to do with safety to be cut.

For the love of God, don't encourage them by suggesting they need MORE COVID safety measures. COVID safety measures are what's keeping people away, and people staying away is what's causing the other stuff that has nothing to do with safety to be cut.
The number one measure they needed in July was reducing capacity. They saw the $$$$ and packed us like sardines.

I'm not thrilled to hear there's still a lot of queuing, nor am I really a Disney defender (I'm way less of a regular than most on these boards).

There are some legit concerns for sure. Not getting a picture at the Luau (in the OP of this thread) when the tickets clearly say VIP gets it and regular does not, just doesn't seem like a legit concern to me. A lot of the mis-matched expectations seem like lack of prep on what the current situation is at Aulani. (Same happens to people visiting NYC or CA right now I'm sure.)

I'm not thrilled to hear there's still a lot of queuing, nor am I really a Disney defender (I'm way less of a regular than most on these boards).

There are some legit concerns for sure. Not getting a picture at the Luau (in the OP of this thread) when the tickets clearly say VIP gets it and regular does not, just doesn't seem like a legit concern to me. A lot of the mis-matched expectations seem like lack of prep on what the current situation is at Aulani. (Same happens to people visiting NYC or CA right now I'm sure.)
You know what's hilarious?

Prior to COVID, VIP had to pay for their luau pictures separately, too.

You know what's hilarious?

Prior to COVID, VIP had to pay for their luau pictures separately, too.
I didn't even know there was an Aulani photopass (guess I need to research that). I don't think it was a thing when we were there <4 years ago. Doesn't seem like there's enough to make with worthwhile, and I'm usually a big photopass fan.

I didn't even know there was an Aulani photopass (guess I need to research that). I don't think it was a thing when we were there <4 years ago. Doesn't seem like there's enough to make with worthwhile, and I'm usually a big photopass fan.
A surprising number of people spend their entire vacation at the resort rather than exploring the island. Pre-COVID, there were a ton of character meet-and-greets each day. My family never bothered but there were always huge lines for Stitch and Moana.

There is a little bit of a vibe of nickel and diming that makes (at least when I was there in July) you more critical - like oh what are we doing now. When I was there the menehune (sp?) trail an extraordinary trivial thing was “not available” and I was irritated b/c it was another straw. By comparison I went back to Disney in April of 2021 and with all the restrictions I would have paid double what I paid BC it was so amazing and people were so happy to be at our happy place. I’m going back in November and I will have another great time. I go to places wanting to have a wonderful time.

There is a little bit of a vibe of nickel and diming that makes (at least when I was there in July) you more critical - like oh what are we doing now. When I was there the menehune (sp?) trail an extraordinary trivial thing was “not available” and I was irritated b/c it was another straw. By comparison I went back to Disney in April of 2021 and with all the restrictions I would have paid double what I paid BC it was so amazing and people were so happy to be at our happy place. I’m going back in November and I will have another great time. I go to places wanting to have a wonderful time.
What time of day did you try to do the Menehune trail? They have an indoor version and an outdoor version, and the outdoor version is only playable at night. Is it possible that's what you experienced?

A surprising number of people spend their entire vacation at the resort rather than exploring the island. Pre-COVID, there were a ton of character meet-and-greets each day. My family never bothered but there were always huge lines for Stitch and Moana.
We were part of that group - we did Aulani after a cruise and time in Waikiki, so it was mainly sit on the beach time. Also my kids were really into the Moana stuff at that age. We did get pictures, maybe we had PhotoPass, but it wasn't as big a thing as WDW?
I actually love Aulani just as a resort, I think there are better places to stay while exploring the island(s) (and I realize it wasn't built for everyone to stay on site every day.)

We were part of that group - we did Aulani after a cruise and time in Waikiki, so it was mainly sit on the beach time. Also my kids were really into the Moana stuff at that age. We did get pictures, maybe we had PhotoPass, but it wasn't as big a thing as WDW?
I actually love Aulani just as a resort, I think there are better places to stay while exploring the island(s) (and I realize it wasn't built for everyone to stay on site every day.)
I loathe Waikiki. Quite possibly one of my least favorite places on Earth, rivaling only the Vince Lombardi service plaza on the New Jersey turnpike. "Explore the island" to me means visit the Bishop Museum once and then get as far away from Honolulu as possible for the next 7 days.

What time of day did you try to do the Menehune trail? They have an indoor version and an outdoor version, and the outdoor version is only playable at night. Is it possible that's what you experienced?
It was closed for the entire time. There were signs up. It was contemporaneously discussed by people there at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter