Autopia going electric

I've often wondered why they didn't do this. Perhaps the EV battery options just haven't been there before.

This is so nice to hear!! I've been afraid they would just do away with the ride altogether.
There's just no easy way to untangle Autopia with the monorail. I thought it might change at some point but I just can't see Disney wanting to reroute the Monorail tracks.

I've often wondered why they didn't do this. Perhaps the EV battery options just haven't been there before.

I’ve been wondering about the logistics, too. How will they keep them charged throughout the day? Maybe a reserve of batteries to switch out and charge on rotation. I’m not sure how they keep the gas filled in the ones now, maybe a similar procedure. Switch out cars?

We went to a place with electric go carts and the attendant would walk through to push a button on the back of each car to power them down and charge for about 5 minutes in between groups.

I'd prefer they turn it into a high-banked Nascar track and go back to old pushrod V8's but I'm pretty sure I'm the minority vote here lol 8-)

I’ve been wondering about the logistics, too. How will they keep them charged throughout the day? Maybe a reserve of batteries to switch out and charge on rotation. I’m not sure how they keep the gas filled in the ones now, maybe a similar procedure. Switch out cars?
Logistics are and interesting question. They could install wireless charging plates under the cars in the Load/unload area. The cars would receive a charge while stationary there. This is actually how Rock n Rollercoaster works.

If that isn't feasible, then an off track charging system where cars would periodically rotated onto the attraction.

Finally! Overdue for years. Probably waiting for Honda to reupp--though no mention of the sponsor whatsoever?

Wireless charging plates at the loading platforms would be the smart play IMHO.

Oh well -- No Pandora for those wanting that change!

I'm surprised it took this long. The version of Autopia at Hong Kong Disneyland (now closed) was all electric from its opening date in 2006, while the ride in Paris although it started with gasoline-only cars, they were slowly phased out between 2011 and 2015 being replaced by hybrids one by one until all of them were the newer model - I certainly noticed the lack of fumes while queuing compared to the WDW version!

Logistics are and interesting question. They could install wireless charging plates under the cars in the Load/unload area. The cars would receive a charge while stationary there. This is actually how Rock n Rollercoaster works.

If that isn't feasible, then an off track charging system where cars would periodically rotated onto the attraction.
The amount of Ah throughput via wireless charging would be substantial. And I would be suspect that the rate of charge wouldn't be fast enough for a continuous throughput of the car(s). Then the question of does enough dwell time allow the battery pack(s) to cool before another cycling. The last thing anyone wants to see is a thermal runaway on one of those cars.

Rock and Rollercoaster uses a linear synchronous motor for propulsion. If there is onboard energy storage, I suspect it is rather small and only used for the music/lighting. Also, the ride vehicle is in a continuous temperature-controlled environment. Autopia is subjected to ambient, and more specifically, track temperatures in close proximity to the battery pack(s).

A possible option could be to overdesign the battery packs in terms of capacity, so the Ah extraction is very limited to control heat build-up, etc. Heat rejection is a major concern in batteries.

Rock and Rollercoaster uses a linear synchronous motor for propulsion. If there is onboard energy storage, I suspect it is rather small and only used for the music/lighting.
I should have been more specific on RnR. The wireless charging is for the on board sound system.

The amount of Ah throughput via wireless charging would be substantial. And I would be suspect that the rate of charge wouldn't be fast enough for a continuous throughput of the car(s). Then the question of does enough dwell time allow the battery pack(s) to cool before another cycling. The last thing anyone wants to see is a thermal runaway on one of those cars.

Rock and Rollercoaster uses a linear synchronous motor for propulsion. If there is onboard energy storage, I suspect it is rather small and only used for the music/lighting. Also, the ride vehicle is in a continuous temperature-controlled environment. Autopia is subjected to ambient, and more specifically, track temperatures in close proximity to the battery pack(s).

A possible option could be to overdesign the battery packs in terms of capacity, so the Ah extraction is very limited to control heat build-up, etc. Heat rejection is a major concern in batteries.
As long as Nissan doesn't take up the sponsorship, should be fine ;)

I think there would enough charge on the wireless plating for the intermittent 5-10 dwelling to keep up for at least a 4 hour duration, if not 8-10 hours running time. The demand draw isn't going to be that great for running this carts at those speeds.

For sure, the ambient noise will need to be filled as it'll be dead quiet and Nemo will filter in with Mine- mine-mine!

There'a company that kind of makes a wireless charging system. It's not wireless in the true sense of the word but the go cart drive's on a charging track built built right on the pavement and there's a plate(or something) the contacts the bottom of the kart. As long as the Kart is on the charging track it's charging. Your not plugging anything in but it's not truely wireless. I never saw them take any of the karts off the track and I was in-line for a good 45 minuets so it charges the karts enough to keep them going. The kart is on the charging track from when you get off the kart to when the next person gets on the kart and enters the course.

I like it! It's well overdue. I hope they do MK too - probably will after they get the installation at DL all up and running, tested, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter