Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

[
Well it’s not my kid. I’m going to assume her parents are dealing with it. But I did mention if it was her I would be on the phone to the principal and if they didn’t get it figured out my next call would be the school board.

Tou are right it’s crazy it’s mid September. And I don’t like ford, but you can’t blame the mess in high schools on them. The Boards have known about a hybrid model for a couple months that is plenty of time to figure this stuff out. Lots of businesses including my own work had to adapt and change things with zero notice. The fact that schools still can’t figure things out if disgusting.
Perhaps because I’m a teacher by profession that this all makes me irrationally angry. If a kid doesn’t have a well informed parent advocate, he or she might really have problems with all kinds of things—access, timetabling, etc. It shouldn’t be that way. It shouldn’t be a fight. I think back to my high school days. My parents didn’t need to get involved. I’ve had to push and advocate repeatedly for my daughter and she only spend a year and a half in school. If I was not informed, she’d have missed out on several opportunities.

Ask for e learning through the Ontario e learning consortium. It’s called Prism. If the school can’t fill her timetable, they must, by law allow her to pursue studies another way. There is also the Independent Learning Centre through TVO. The school MUST accommodate her. Have the student demand service tomorrow. This is crazy. We are mid September.

I actually found the ILC information earlier and DD picked a few classes she would rather take. She has a meeting with guidance tomorrow at 11:30. Hopefully they’ll allow her to drop business and take an online class. Too bad that screws up her carpool.:mad:

I actually found the ILC information earlier and DD picked a few classes she would rather take. She has a meeting with guidance tomorrow at 11:30. Hopefully they’ll allow her to drop business and take an online class. Too bad that screws up her carpool.:mad:
You’ll really have to fight for it, I expect. Be prepared to step in. You may get the line it’s for students who are ill, a homeschooler or behaviour problems. All untrue. Don’t take no for an answer if those courses suit her better.

Prism also will have pretty much every course that is offered. The guidance counsellor has the list and can check the computer system in real time. That actually might be the better option for your daughter. Have her ask for those by name.

Let me know how it works out.

ETA. My dd is enjoying her ILC classes so far.

I just wanted to jump in here and tell all of you that I feel for you in this situation and that I am in awe of all of you.

Parents who are concerned enough about their children's education to discuss it here are great parents.

My kids are basically though the system (son in last year of University to become an AI code programmer and daughter who just finished her Masters in linguistics and is applying this fall for her PhD - yes, I am bragging a bit LOL)
I was/had to be their advocate all the way through. Although I was seen as a helicopter mom, I made sure they attempted to deal with a situation first, or we did it together and as a last resort I got involved.

I cannot even imagine the stress you are all going through, the unknowns and the red tape. Just keep swimming folks....

Last edited:
I just wanted to jump in here and tell all of you that I feel for you in this situation and that I am in awe of all of you.

Parents who are concerned enough about their children's education to discuss it here are great parents.

My kids are basically though the system (son in last year of University to become an AI code programmer and daughter who just finished her Masters in linguistics and is applying this fall for her PhD - yes, I am bragging a bit LOL)
I was had to be their advocate all the way through. Although I was seen as a helicopter mom, I made sure they attempted to deal with a situation first, or we did it together and as a last resort I got involved.

I cannot even imagine the stress you all going through, the unknowns and the red tape. Just keep swimming folks....
Yep, first line of attack was always dd speaking up first. I’d hoped it would be a way of helping her learn to self advocate. Unfortunately she was often met with one word emails in response to questions—no.

You’ll really have to fight for it, I expect. Be prepared to step in. You may get the line it’s for students who are ill, a homeschooler or behaviour problems. All untrue. Don’t take no for an answer if those courses suit her better.

Prism also will have pretty much every course that is offered. The guidance counsellor has the list and can check the computer system in real time. That actually might be the better option for your daughter. Have her ask for those by name.

Let me know how it works out.

ETA. My dd is enjoying her ILC classes so far.

Thanks, she's looking at the Prism information right now. She picked a few ILC courses yesterday that she would be interested in. She's also going to ask about doing a Gr. 11 or 12 class in school instead of them only allowing her to pick from Gr. 10 classes. She's a great student who's been in enrichment since kindergarten - she can handle a course from a higher grade.

I'm curious how much they will fight her on this. She's certainly capable of doing a 100% online course. During the early phase of lock down she did an online Intro to Psychology course from Yale. She's never had an issue with staying focused. We'll see how this goes.

Thanks, she's looking at the Prism information right now. She picked a few ILC courses yesterday that she would be interested in. She's also going to ask about doing a Gr. 11 or 12 class in school instead of them only allowing her to pick from Gr. 10 classes. She's a great student who's been in enrichment since kindergarten - she can handle a course from a higher grade.

I'm curious how much they will fight her on this. She's certainly capable of doing a 100% online course. During the early phase of lock down she did an online Intro to Psychology course from Yale. She's never had an issue with staying focused. We'll see how this goes.
Let me know how it works out. My daughter has been able to take courses all over the map. She was homeschooled and arrived to Hs ahead. Took grade eleven math in grade nine, grade ten was all grade eleven courses but one. It doesn’t have to be one size fits all.

System wide outage of D2L Brightspace for the province right now. No known time frame for when it will be back up. DS16 just texted to see if we had any plans this weekend because he “will need to do all the work at home.”
Ok.. I’m really trying to be patient and understanding, and I get that this is really hard . But why would they not still be able to teach today’s lessons for the in class cohorts ? He’s there. Surely there is a way to teach that doesn’t need D2L? What am I missing ?

The bathroom procedure at my ODS school (Preston HS) is nuts. The kids have to wash their hands before they leave the classroom. Then when they get into the bathroom. Then after they use the bathroom. And again when they get back to their classroom.
Waiting to see how this one plays out in DW's school. No sinks in classrooms, but perhaps a shot of hand sanitizer? (They don't have any yet, but they have yet to receive most of their PPE supplies). There is no hot water in the washrooms at her school, so cold water at one of the two sinks (both with manual turn handle) not to mention the potential issue of regular washing with lead contaminated water.
Only one kid from the class can go at one time and must sign in and out of classroom with exact time. What is odd is that there are 8 classrooms on the floor sharing the same bathroom, and no way of policing how many kids are actually in there. Can see this becoming an issue as kids rendezvous with friends from other classes in the bathroom ("meet me at 10:30...")

Edit: changed "any" of to "most" of PPE, they do have the sanitizer dispensers for the main doors. Also on yesterday's post I said two Chromebooks, I was wrong. There are three for the class of 23 students, including the 1 for the teacher.

Last edited:
System wide outage of D2L Brightspace for the province right now. No known time frame for when it will be back up. DS16 just texted to see if we had any plans this weekend because he “will need to do all the work at home.”
Ok.. I’m really trying to be patient and understanding, and I get that this is really hard . But why would they not still be able to teach today’s lessons for the in class cohorts ? He’s there. Surely there is a way to teach that doesn’t need D2L? What am I missing ?
Did things work out? I had heard about the D2L outage, but my DS's afternoon class was on Google, so he wasn't affected. I would have also assumed that the teacher was teaching in-class, but maybe your son meant that all the resources were on D2L and he had to wait to get access?

Did things work out? I had heard about the D2L outage, but my DS's afternoon class was on Google, so he wasn't affected. I would have also assumed that the teacher was teaching in-class, but maybe your son meant that all the resources were on D2L and he had to wait to get access?
It went back up at the end of the day so he will have some homework this weekend but nothing too crazy. The lessons are all online for this course so there was nothing prepared. They aren’t allowed to give handouts right now . My husband asked if the blackboard was broken or there was a chalk shortage. My son told us there was no blackboard and called us dinosaurs. :rotfl:

It went back up at the end of the day so he will have some homework this weekend but nothing too crazy. The lessons are all online for this course so there was nothing prepared. They aren’t allowed to give handouts right now . My husband asked if the blackboard was broken or there was a chalk shortage. My son told us there was no blackboard and called us dinosaurs. :rotfl:

My kiddo says no blackboards in his classes, only smartboards! I do feel like a dinosaur :)

I am a PS teacher. Today I was informed a 3 year old in my classroom tested positive. We were sent home and I’ll be spending the next 14 long and boring days in a bedroom away from my family.
This is what I have been worrying about. Do you have to do distance teaching during this period? Thank goodness high school students must wear masks at school! We were told that there’s no eating in classroom but sipping of only water is allowed. However, under special circumstances, students can remove their masks to take snack in class, one at a time. I think I will notify students to try to eat before coming to class and leave school for lunch right after class. My room has poor ventilation and I will explain why it’s not a good idea to snack in my room. TDSB has postponed HS start date to September 17. Staffing just collapsed some courses and reallocated some teachers in the last two days. Hopefully we will have our firm timetables on Monday. I can’t even plan my courses since I don’t know what I will be teaching in Quad 1. I feel sorry for the students. With 45 classes being cancelled in my school due to students opted for virtual school, some students would have issues with taking their desired courses this year. Guidance would help them seek other options. Some of our students thought virtual school was like distance learning with their day school teachers last semester and opted in without realizing that it was separate from their day school. They are allowed to change back to in-school learning in Quad 2 two weeks before it starts based on space availability. Hope everyone goes through this school year safely despite all the challenges!

I am a PS teacher. Today I was informed a 3 year old in my classroom tested positive. We were sent home and I’ll be spending the next 14 long and boring days in a bedroom away from my family.

Was the 3 year old showing symptoms? Wonder if there was someone else in the family that was sick and the whole family got tested or why the 3 year old was tested.

Last edited:
Was the 3 year old showing symptoms? Wonder if there was someone else in the family that was sick and the whole family got tested or why the 3 year old was tested.
No symptoms during the day but developed fever in the evening so they decided to go. So far no symptoms for the parents.

This is what I have been worrying about. Do you have to do distance teaching during this period? Thank goodness high school students must wear masks at school! We were told that there’s no eating in classroom but sipping of only water is allowed. However, under special circumstances, students can remove their masks to take snack in class, one at a time. I think I will notify students to try to eat before coming to class and leave school for lunch right after class. My room has poor ventilation and I will explain why it’s not a good idea to snack in my room. TDSB has postponed HS start date to September 17. Staffing just collapsed some courses and reallocated some teachers in the last two days. Hopefully we will have our firm timetables on Monday. I can’t even plan my courses since I don’t know what I will be teaching in Quad 1. I feel sorry for the students. With 45 classes being cancelled in my school due to students opted for virtual school, some students would have issues with taking their desired courses this year. Guidance would help them seek other options. Some of our students thought virtual school was like distance learning with their day school teachers last semester and opted in without realizing that it was separate from their day school. They are allowed to change back to in-school learning in Quad 2 two weeks before it starts based on space availability. Hope everyone goes through this school year safely despite all the challenges!

We were told by our board that switching from in person learning to virtual or vice versa would be possible for everyone after quad 1. But nothing was ever mentioned about spot availability. Now I’m thinking it will not be as simple as they made it sound, especially for those trying to move from virtual to in school where cohorts are limited to 15.

There is already a long waitlist to go onto virtual at our board . They could not accommodate all the requests and these were made before their final deadline. My son has a friend on the waitlist. They would not process students to switch from virtual either - many who later found out and disliked the idea that the virtual school is a separate entity from their home school, with its own admin, guidance, principal etc. with students all across the school board, .

Last edited:
No symptoms during the day but developed fever in the evening so they decided to go. So far no symptoms for the parents.

Were the parents tested too? Just wondering where the child would have got it. I have a 3 year old grand-daughter who just started preschool, so the situation interests me. She only has 4 kids in her class but it is still a concern.

Were the parents tested too? Just wondering where the child would have got it. I have a 3 year old grand-daughter who just started preschool, so the situation interests me. She only has 4 kids in her class but it is still a concern.
Public Health is in the process of contact tracing with the family. The parents said they tested their child and not themselves at the time and they went to test themselves after their child tested positive. We don’t know parents results yet.
Our room is 16 children with 2 teachers.

We spend an insane amount of time cleaning throughout the day. We try our best to distance them, 2 children per table divided by a line. Every child has a ziplock bag with their name on it that has supplies for them only. Window open all day.
I just hope no other children develop symptoms. I have a son in the high risk category. I had a little mental breakdown at the though of passing anything to him. He’s been through hell medically in his life. Waiting for results has been torture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter