"Balance Due at Check-In" - anyone ever seen this before on a DVC reservation?

Canadian Disney Mom

Formerly Tollerwalker - originally joined July '05
I have someone staying on a rental that would have checked in on May 1. I just happened to be checking on a reservation in my DVC account online and noticed that it shows "Balance Due at Check in (USD): $ 424.44" and a note: "There is currently an amount due for this travel plan. If you wish to add another accommodation or a dining plan, please call Member Services at (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to dial these numbers."

I have included a screenshot. Anyone seen this before? I plan to call MS in the morning but thought this was strange and thought I would check here tonight. I did not add DDP or anything like that for the renter. Is this just charges the renter has made to their room since checkin or should I be concerned?

Last edited:
I googled and found a post on another board with the same question. In their case, they noticed the amount kept going up as the stay progressed so I think this must be be room charges of my guests. That makes me feel better, but I would still love to hear from anyone else that might have noticed this before.

They have been making some changes to the website recently and this sounds like it might be one. Perhaps an accidental one or maybe intentional but I think it is new.

I googled and found a post on another board with the same question. In their case, they noticed the amount kept going up as the stay progressed so I think this must be be room charges of my guests. That makes me feel better, but I would still love to hear from anyone else that might have noticed this before.

I once noticed this on my own account, for my own stay, when my cc company had declined the charges.

Split stay. Checked out of SR and into VWL. We had had major mold issues at SSR and we were given a nice bit of money on our room charge. Because of this the charge at checkout was about $5, which cased the cc to think "fraud".

But before it actually decline we had gotten over to VWL where we set up a room charge account again. (Unusual for us)

Went to Epcot. Bought snacks and stuff. While airing in line for seating at Via Napoli I went to check something on the DVC account and saw in bold red letters that I owed money. Showed each charge we had made to the room since VWL checkin that day.

Had to call the cc company to tell them that all was well. Shortly after that it charged properly and all was well.

(cleaned up my post)

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack, but does this mean that a renter COULD use a bad cc (purposely or not), then skip out on the charges-- leaving the owner "stuck" with the bill?!

Sorry to hijack, but does this mean that a renter COULD use a bad cc (purposely or not), then skip out on the charges-- leaving the owner "stuck" with the bill?!

That is always a risk with renting. I have rented many times and never had it happen

While this could happen, Disney will go after the guest first. The owner shouldn't be held accountable because of Disney's CC policies.

:earsboy: Bill

That is always a risk with renting. I have rented many times and never had it happen

I've thought about renting but not sure whether the risk is worth it-- although we bought more points than we need ;(

While this could happen, Disney will go after the guest first. The owner shouldn't be held accountable because of Disney's CC policies.

How does Disney "go after" the guest first? At checkout? What if the guest never checks out and purposely uses a fraudulent or stolen cars?

Maybe I've lived in NYC too long (17 years until I was 8 months pregnant)...

I've thought about renting but not sure whether the risk is worth it-- although we bought more points than we need ;(

How does Disney "go after" the guest first? At checkout? What if the guest never checks out and purposely uses a fraudulent or stolen cars?

My understanding is when a guest checks in, they sign the agreement that they will be liable for their room charges. If they want to charge to the room they must give Disney a credit card. If the card bounces that's between Disney and the guest. If Disney didn't verify the card or funding that's Disney's issue. I think I remember several years ago a post where a owner was contacted by Disney due to outstanding room charges, the owner notified Disney that they didn't stay in the room and that was that.

This happened to me at SSR. I was booked into a 2 bdrm at OKW on points but Disney had overbooked OKW and "upgraded" me to a tree house villa. When I arrived at SSR there was a charge on my room due at check in for the full balance of the room as if I had made a cash reservation. It took over 2 hours of haggling at the front desk to get it cleared.

SSR and I do not have a good history. I have stayed there 3 times and each of those stays have been jinxed from check-in. Needless to say I try to avoid SSR like the plague.

My understanding is when a guest checks in, they sign the agreement that they will be liable for their room charges. If they want to charge to the room they must give Disney a credit card. If the card bounces that's between Disney and the guest. If Disney didn't verify the card or funding that's Disney's issue. I think I remember several years ago a post where a owner was contacted by Disney due to outstanding room charges, the owner notified Disney that they didn't stay in the room and that was that.

I remember that thread and I thought that DVC froze their points until it was resolved.

I just logged into the DVC site and checked the reservation again. The "Balance Due at Check-In" amount and the note about there being open amount for the travel plan are now gone (see below). I am not sure if this just a fluke where I happened to sign in at the exact time there was an amount showing or not but it seems to be resolved. I was on pretty late so maybe MS was doing some admin stuff.

Regarding room charges and the possibility of the member being responsible, I have never been worried about that before. My concern here was not so much that, it was worrying someone had added something onto the reservation without going through me somehow and never paid it (i.e. tickets, DDP, etc).

Thank you all for your help :)
Jess

related question - does this only happen if something goes wrong w/ the card? we are renting for a stay in Sept and I'd rather not have the owners getting an email about what we've spent.

related question - does this only happen if something goes wrong w/ the card? we are renting for a stay in Sept and I'd rather not have the owners getting an email about what we've spent.

I am not sure. I did not get an email. I just happened to be online last night looking at reservations on my account and noticed it. The amount is gone now. If I had not been logged in last night I never would have seen it.

I remember that thread and I thought that DVC froze their points until it was resolved.

I thought that the freeze was in error and as soon as the owner notified DVC, the freeze was lifted since they were not on the reservation.

There is risk but it is minimal and controllable and IMO, far less than using points for a cash type exchange.

The one I recall was a family member (? BIL) and it was simply a mistake and taken care of promptly once it came to light. But the reality is that the owner will ultimately be responsible. This is one of the reasons I'm not thrilled with escrow services for rentals, too much risk for the owner.

This appears to be new but I'm rented my Marriott in HH quite a few times and I've gotten emails with their bill attached and as a bonus, reward points as well.

I've only seen it the one time, and it was the only time there was an issue with the CC. A $5 charge just freaked them out! ;)

I checked again this AM just for the heck of it and it is back but with a much lower amount showing now. It appears it is definitely the room charges they are making. I wonder if Disney reconciles the charges daily and that is why it keeps coming and going. I have never noticed on my own credit card whether they charge my card at checkout or daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter