"Balance Due at Check-In" - anyone ever seen this before on a DVC reservation?

I checked again this AM just for the heck of it and it is back but with a much lower amount showing now. It appears it is definitely the room charges they are making. I wonder if Disney reconciles the charges daily and that is why it keeps coming and going. I have never noticed on my own credit card whether they charge my card at checkout or daily.
There have been a few reports of chargebacks happening more frequently.
It used to be only at the end of the stay or if the balance gets above a certain point.
It could also be the guest periodically paying off a balance with Disney Gift Cards.

It used to be only at the end of the stay or if the balance gets above a certain point.
It could also be the guest periodically paying off a balance with Disney Gift Cards.

Thanks - that makes sense :)

Deluxe/DVC resorts now charge your card when your balance reaches $2000 or when you check out, the limit before was $1500. If they have a reservation issue they will charge your card, in our case they applied another guests payment to our account in error. They reversed the incorrect payment but charged our card to zero out the account to start over.

:earsboy: Bill

Deluxe/DVC resorts now charge your card when your balance reaches $2000 or when you check out, the limit before was $1500. If they have a reservation issue they will charge your card, in our case they applied another guests payment to our account in error. They reversed the incorrect payment but charged our card to zero out the account to start over.

Another guests charges were done to your card? What was their explanation for that?!

Another guests charges were done to your card? What was their explanation for that?!

Never got a straight story but one CM said that they used another guests CC to pay our account. They reversed the incorrect payment and in doing the reverse, they charged our CC to zero out our account to start over.

Disney makes all kinds of errors but look at the volume of guests processed each day. Because we are there so often we have a greater chance of having a problem or seeing behind the curtain.

I love it when a CM says that our problem has never happened before and we can answer back that in fact it happened to us last stay. :-)

Never got a straight story but one CM said that they used another guests CC to pay our account. They reversed the incorrect payment and in doing the reverse, they charged our CC to zero out our account to start over.

Disney makes all kinds of errors but look at the volume of guests processed each day. Because we are there so often we have a greater chance of having a problem or seeing behind the curtain.

I love it when a CM says that our problem has never happened before and we can answer back that in fact it happened to us last stay. :-)

I cannot even fathom what their system is that allows a cross charge like that from one room to a different rooms CC. Nor that it's not something they would fix ASAP so it doesn't happen. :sad2:

On one of our early DVC trips they double charged out CC on check out and it maxed it out such that we were declined at Olivias.

They charged us for a rollaway bed at Wilderness Lodge, and we never ordered a rollaway bed. The CM said it must of been another guest with the same last name. But then he also said it was weird because they don't normally charge for a rollaway bed.

Last edited:
They charged us for a rollaway bed at Wilderness Lodge, and we never ordered a rollaway bed. The CM said it must of been another guest with the same last name. But then he also said it was weird because they don't normally charge for a rollaway bed.

The take-away is to always check your charges at Disney before you check out. We use express check out, but get a print out of our account the night prior. Once we had a charge from a restaurant that we hadn't been to.

related question - does this only happen if something goes wrong w/ the card? we are renting for a stay in Sept and I'd rather not have the owners getting an email about what we've spent.
No, you should realize that it could happen anyway. I've received an email with my renter's full charge details in the past.

related question - does this only happen if something goes wrong w/ the card? we are renting for a stay in Sept and I'd rather not have the owners getting an email about what we've spent.

The owner will get a copy of your room charges if you don't correct your email address with the front desk CM when you check in.

I have someone staying on a rental that would have checked in on May 1. I just happened to be checking on a reservation in my DVC account online and noticed that it shows "Balance Due at Check in (USD): $ 424.44" and a note: "There is currently an amount due for this travel plan. If you wish to add another accommodation or a dining plan, please call Member Services at (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to dial these numbers."

I have included a screenshot. Anyone seen this before? I plan to call MS in the morning but thought this was strange and thought I would check here tonight. I did not add DDP or anything like that for the renter. Is this just charges the renter has made to their room since checkin or should I be concerned?

When my nephew's family stayed on our points, the day they were checking in I looked at the member website to see if they had already checked in, and saw the same thing you saw.

I was very concerned they would not be allowed to check in, so I called my nephew to alert him to the potential problem, and he told me they had already checked in and had eaten lunch, which they had charged to the room. That was the amount I was seeing.

I called member services and told them that to have the amounts a guest charges to their room, (charges that will either be put through at check out or charged to the card on file during the stay) appear as "BALANCE DUE AT CHECK-IN" was very misleading, and they should get it changed. That was about two months ago, and obviously nothing has changed.

I have never looked at my reservation on the member website while I was there, but I wonder if it always shows that way, or only if the member is not staying in the room?

Last edited:
I cannot even fathom what their system is that allows a cross charge like that from one room to a different rooms CC. Nor that it's not something they would fix ASAP so it doesn't happen. :sad2:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the way I read it the "charges" didn't cross over, but rather someone else's credit card was used to pay their bill.

MG

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the way I read it the "charges" didn't cross over, but rather someone else's credit card was used to pay their bill.

MG

Yes, that was my understanding. Cross charge was just to reference that someone elses card was used to pay a different persons bill, not that it was a case where the room charges were applied to the incorrect room.

This is not always true. We stayed at BLT and they were closing our tab nightly until I asked them to stop because I wanted to use Disney GCS to pay the bill.
Judy

If a renter doesn't want to have their charges visible to the owner can't they just not charge to the room? I sometimes just use my credit card or cash rather than charging to the room to simplify the check out bill, but I must say the MBs make charging to the room so convenient.

I have never looked at my reservation on the member website while I was there, but I wonder if it always shows that way, or only if the member is not staying in the room?

I don't think it's always that way, but it's not just for non members. I've only seen it the ince, as described earlier in the thread, in all our stays. And we are owners. So it hits owners AND only hit us once.

If a renter doesn't want to have their charges visible to the owner can't they just not charge to the room? I sometimes just use my credit card or cash rather than charging to the room to simplify the check out bill, but I must say the MBs make charging to the room so convenient.

Of course they can just charge heir card as they go.

I've truly never understood how it's convenient to use one payment method vs another. We set up room charging less than 50% of the time and spending has the same level of ease either way.

We like to charge to the room to have a detailed receipt of our spending while on vacation. The info recorded when charging to the room is often different than what is recorded if using a CC directly at the store or restaurant and it is coded as vacation or travel if you use the CC for points.

I prefer to charge to the room. IMO, it's less of a risk, since I do not have to hand my credit card to many different places. Since I enter it during online check-in, one would have to hack Disney's database to get the info they need to use it fraudulently.

I prefer to charge to the room. IMO, it's less of a risk, since I do not have to hand my credit card to many different places. Since I enter it during online check-in, one would have to hack Disney's database to get the info they need to use it fraudulently.

Or just have resort CM's stealing the data like they did in the past. :tilt: But in general I agree and prefer to do that. I don't know how much faith I have though that Disney's database couldn't be hacked but they have my CC# so that's neither here nor there. I have recently been using GC's to pay for most items though. Now that you're able to combine GC's and transfer amounts between cards it's a much more viable option and if I were to lose the card and realize it soon enough I could just transfer the amount off of it to another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter