Beignets

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
We're kinda wishing we would have planned our Christmas trip to go to New Orleans. We loved it last summer, but DS(12) didn't. So, to WDW we go, and I'm now really excited. :) We are spending a day resort hopping, so I thought, "why not go to NO, at WDW." :idea: POFQ, of course! I would love to have a beignet, and thought we may eat lunch at their food court. Does Riverside Mill serve beignets, or are they only at Sassagoula Floatworks? The menu at RM looks better to me. Also, where at DTD is the boat launch to PO? How close is the boat launch at PO to the food courts? And how long does it take to get to PO from DTD via boat? Thanks for all the help. :)

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Now others may disagree with me, but if you have had beignets from NOLA, you will NOT like the ones at PO. The ones we had were indigestible. Tough, hard lumps of dough with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar on them.

Not even in a race with day old beignets from Cafe DuMond.

I had forgotten to ask how PO was decorated for the holidays, but if the beignets aren't good, I don't guess we'll go anyway. :( I guess we'll just have to plan a trip to NO sometime next year. :)

I have to agree with Deb & Bill. I do not enjoy the beignets at POFQ at all. They do not come close to being similar to the ones in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde. At DTD, at the Marketplace, the boat launch is past Rainforest Cafe, down by a seafood restaurant (sorry, can't remember the name). It's easy to find if you wish to visit POFQ, just don't get the beignets there!

Never been to New Orleans, so can't compare. The beignets we had at POFQ in April were delicious. They made them fresh while I waited. The pastry was covered in powdered sugar & very light--not hard at all. I hope our experience was not the exception.

I agree with Deb&Bill AND Badger Bruce -- The beignets at POFQ are served hot and fresh - and are quite the sugary coated fried dough yummy - but they are NOT the same beignets as served at Cafe Du Monde - the batter is just not the same - and if you go expecting the NOLA ones, I think you will be disappointed.

(I liked the POFQ ones just fine until we moved close to NOLA, and since having the NOLA ones - there just isn't any point in having the POFQ ones - they don't compare)

How about trying a Beaver Tail in Epcot's Canada section? I know it's not a beignet---love Cafe Du Monde, especially the coffee! The Beaver Tail evokes the same taste buds in me as the Beignet. There are also some WONDERFUL pastries at the Bakery in the France section.

we ordered a bunch of them one morning at POFQ....I ate about half of one....I thought they were horrible....

I cannot compare to NO as Ive never been there, but I would never order any at POFQ again

Sorry, but I beg to differ!

I've been to Cafe duMonde before, and I think the beignets at the POFQ are quite good! We had them in June, and went back a second time for more. Ours were little soft, fluffy pillows coated with powdered sugar---my kids were fighting over who got the last one! I've had homemade beignets, too, and I think the ones at the POFQ are right up there at the top of the best! As a matter of fact, we're planning to swing by there for breakfast during our trip in December, just for the beignets!

Tarheelmjfan, I hope you at least try the POFQ just once for the beignets. My family thought they were wonderful!

Originally posted by tarheelmjfan
Does Riverside Mill serve beignets, or are they only at Sassagoula Floatworks? How close is the boat launch at PO to the food courts? And how long does it take to get to PO from DTD via boat? Thanks for all the help. :)

I can't compare the beignets with those from New Orleans, (sadly, I haven't visited that city), but I thought the beignets at POFQ were pretty tasty. I think it depends on what time you get them. We had hot and fresh beignets one morning that were SO GOOD. The next day we had them later in the day -- they were prepared ahead of time and were cold and chewy. I didn't care for them that way. I sent my husband on a beignet run the next morning for a third "taste test". (Hot, fresh and yummy.) Again, though, I can't say they compare to New Orleans because I've never been there. :)

I thought POFQ was so beautifully decorated for the holidays, with mardi gras masks and beads, purple, gold and green and jazz instruments decorating the trees.... It was gorgeous. :)

The boat launch was a very short walk from the dock to the food court. Everything at POFQ is within a short distance. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great and the boat launch wasn't running during the time we were there because of the weather. (This was in December 02.) :(

I sent my son on a "beignet run" too, the night we stayed at POFQ! It was pouring down rain (that's how much we were craving beignets!), and my son very unwillingly obliged.

I just thought your story about the "beignet run" was too funny!!

It's been awhile since I've had the beignets at POFQ but last time I had them they were good. Point is you have to get them fresh and the grease has to be properly heated to make them the right fluffyness. I can guarantee you (trust me I'm from N.O.) that if you ate a cold beignet here you wouldn't like it either.

I say go to POFQ and ask for an order fresh, hot and right out of the fryer.

It s so funny how people have such different opinions. My Mom loves the beignets at POFQ and I couldn't even eat more than 2 bites. I think it also depends on who makes them. Mine were like some of the posters said, hard as rocks. And the powdered sugar was a greasy mess all slimed up. Yuck. To each his own.

Perhaps the disparity in opinions is relevent to who makes them each day? Maybe one CM is better at the fryer than another? I'm just guessing. I know that I can't get coffee at our local deli on Tuesdays and Thursdays because the person in charge of coffee on Tuesday and Thursday does a lousy job. Monday, Wednesday and Fridays are safe. ;)

I have to say that, considering that my first beignets came from POFQ, and they were really delicious HOT and FRESH, it's a good thing I'm not living near New Orleans or I'd be a mighty fat mama. They are too yummy!! ;)

We really enjoyed POFQ. It was quiet in December and we loved, loved the decorations -- but I don't think it's worth taking a special resort-hopping trip over to POFQ just to see the decorations and have a few beignets. There's really not a lot of activity going on there and the resort is very small.

Okay, I know have one Mardi Gras mask on one shoulder saying "go for it", the one on the other shoulder is saying, "but I bet you'll be there on one of those days when they are hard and yucky, an that will be a wasted trip". :tongue: So what to do? We aren't really looking for activities, just beignets, lunch, and Christmas decorations. Should the beignets be fresh at lunch? Also, can we get them at both food courts or are they only at Sassagoula Floatworks? Which is closest to the boat launch? Thanks again! :)

I give the beignets at PO a thumbs down. We had been trying to decide between a trip to NOLA or a trip to Florida and when I discovered that there was a NOLA themed resort I thought I would have the best of both worlds! Nope. After having beignets from Cafe du Monde, or even the NOLA airport, the ones at PO pale in comparison. I'm sure if you get them hot and fresh they aren't bad, but the ones we had were tough, cold, and slimey with powdered sugar.

i beg to differ also, i have been to cafe du monde in New Orleans, and the beignets were awesome there. they were pretty good at POFQ too, not as good, but i certainly cannot complain about them. the put lots of sugar on them too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter