Best ribs in the World?

disney4me4ever

Is living proof that patience pays off!
Taking suggestions for the best ribs in WDW. Just got off the phone with my sister (who hasn't been to WDW in 10 years :eek: ) and when I asked her what some of the foods that are "can't miss" she said bbq ribs. Since I'm more of a steak person, I don't recall ever ordering ribs the many times DH and I have been to WDW. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks,
Nancy:earsgirl:

My absolute favorite ribs at WDW are at Flame Tree Barbeque at AK. They are made with a dry rub and smoked with several different types of wood, they are excellent. FTB's ribs were one of the WDW foods featured in a Food Unwrapped Show on the food channel.
WCC and HDD ribs are also good but no where near as good as FTB's ribs, IMO. I actually will go out of my way and go to AK just to have FTB ribs for lunch!

Danny~

I was thinking House of Blues, too. I think that's where we'll try.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Nancy :earsgirl:

Have to agree with and earliar post ~ Flame Tree BBQ has the best ribs I have ever tasted.

Well, do you want to take a side trip? The best ribs are at Mike's Smokehouse in Eau Claire Wisconsin.

This is perhaps off-topic, but I've always thought that the lack of a high-quality, sit-down, BBQ joint was a real missed opportunity for the Disney folk.

Wouldn't a restaurant like that do phenomenally well (both in terms of theming and $$$$ to WDW) in the WS American pavillion? It could highlight different regional variations of BBQ (e.g., texas brisket, memphis vs. st. louis ribs, SC mustard sauce vs. vinegar-based vs. tomato-based) and charge a fortune for what is often rather tough (that is, cheap) meat. Work in some kitschy fake-dive decor, some micro-brewed beers on tap, and you've got yourself a cash cow (no pun intended-- I'll take pork for my BBQ, thank you). Whispering Canyon and Flame Tree do a bit of this, I suppose, but neither on the scale nor, frankly, with the high quality that a place like this could.

Besides, I can only imagine how the current restaurant in the American pavillion (serving burgers + hot dogs, as it does) only feeds into negative stereotypes among foreigners over the US' contribution to the world's culinary landscape. BBQ is a uniquely American contribution to the food world, and should be showcased.

Stepman-I AGREE with you. We love Tony Romas!
We used to live in Washington State and would go there all the time. They dont have them here in IL.
So we hit there everytime we go to WDW!

I also liked the ribs at Hoop Dee Doo.

This is more of a response to the potential for a rib joint at the WS American Pavillion.

I really think that the American Pavillion was overlooked as one of the great opportunities at Epcot. There isn't enough "American: stuff at the pavillion. Wouldn't an authentic American cuisine restaurant be a grat place for foreigners to try out all types of american foods...not just hamburgers and hot dogs.

Stuff like BBQ and Philly cheese steaks, maybe some chicken wings? Yes there are lots of other examples and I guess that's the point.

Good idea about a BBQ place at the World Showcase...I always thought it was lame that the American restaurant showcased burgers and hot dogs----something you can get at almost EVERY counter service place in WDW!!! I love Tony Roma's- used to work there once upon a time and they do have great ribs.

These weren't the greatest ribs ever, but they were tasty----Cape May Cafe offers spareribs at their dinner buffet...plus there is prime rib, seafood, chicken for others who may not like ribs so much. I had 3-4 and I easily could have eaten another 3-4, but the desserts were calling me!

We are planning on trying Flametree this year when we go primarily because of the Food Network show. But for the best ribs anywhere, and they are pork ribs, is at Dreamland. The original is in Tuscaloosa , so all you Oklahoma people when you go to the game look it up. There are also locations in Birmingham, Mobile and now Huntsville, it opened yesterday and we had ribs for dinner last night. Their banana pudding isn't half bad either. Ain't nothin' like 'em anywhere!

Does anyone else remember the ribs at Chef Mickeys when it was at DD. They where great.

Kae

Wow, you guys are bringing back memories...

Remember Fireworks Factory at Pleasure Island? Which later became Crazyhorse Saloon? Weren't those bbq places or am I hallucinating??

FWIW, my all-time favorite ribs = the 4-style sampler at Sticky Fingers in Charleston. But I'm a yankee...what do I know?!

Denise < --- convinced she was a sutherner in her past life. ;)

FWIW, my all-time favorite ribs = the 4-style sampler at Sticky Fingers in Charleston. But I'm a yankee...what do I know?!

Finally someone who knows good ribs LOL. And a Yankee at that,

You are so right about Sticky Fingers. We are only 3 hours away and I drive round trip in a day for their ribs. You know they will ship them to you as well.
You know you are in a real rib joint when they are playing Blues music and hand you a towel when you go in. The appitizer sampler along with the 4 rib sampler are a meal for two made in heaven.
Welcome to SC

Russ

ps
back to the original ?, Flametree ribs were a pleasent surprise.

I did not care for the ribs at Flame Tree BBQ. I've also had them at the Grand Floridian Cafe and they weren't really all that good -- broiled/baked ahead of time and then they just slapped some sauce on heated them up and served them. I do like the ribs at HDDR, but how many times can you see that show at the price! Therefore we used to go to Crockett's Tavern and they had the same menu chicken, ribs, beans, corn on their menu for only $10. However, Crockett's is closed.

A friend of ours tells us the best place for ribs near Disney is Sonny's - so since we have a car we are going to try it this year.

is the best I had on WDW property, but they are not whatI call the top of the line rib.

But, if I want ribs at WDW that is where I go.

:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter