Best way to book?

DJ123

Earning My Ears
Starting to plan a trip for 2019. What's the best way to book and get a good deal? Directly from website and wait for a 30% off special or is costco cheaper? Or travel agent? This will be our first time going to Hawaii/Aulani. Thanks for the help!

We also prefer to rent DVC points, but if you're not familiar with the process, I highly recommend going through a broker like David's who is a sponsor here on the boards. There are some caveats with renting you should be aware of, but is otherwise a great value and makes it affordable.

We also prefer to rent DVC points, but if you're not familiar with the process, I highly recommend going through a broker like David's who is a sponsor here on the boards. There are some caveats with renting you should be aware of, but is otherwise a great value and makes it affordable.

Thanks! I'm not familiar at all with renting points but I'll look into it.

Thanks! I'm not familiar at all with renting points but I'll look into it.

David's or The DVC Rental Store or any other point broker companies will facilitate the process for you. Essentially, you are "renting" the DVC owner's points to stay in a DVC villa. Because of this, the DVC owner makes the reservation on your behalf and the broker is the middle man that handles the communication and payment. And because the owner is using their own points to make a reservation in your name, you typically have to pay in full at time of booking and you cannot change your dates or cancel for a refund. The other big caveat is that you really need to book well in advance to have your choice of dates and room types. Aulani owners can book as early as 11 months in advance, and non-Aulani DVC owners can book at 7 months in advance. We booked ours through an Aulani owner at 10 months out.

Other things to note are that since you are staying on a points reservation, you will not receive daily housekeeping. There is a trash room you can dump your garbage at and the rooms have washers and dryers if you need to wash towels (except a studio, but you will receive free laundry tokens for the laundry room). Housekeeping will come by on day 4 of your stay to change out towels and take out any garbage, and they will do a full cleaning on day 7 (I believe) if you're there that long. I believe you can also opt to pay extra for daily trash/towel service or daily full cleanings if you want.

If all of these things are tolerable to you, it does provide a great savings and you also would get free parking staying on a points reservation. Parking is normally $37 a day.

They seem to remove the trash now every day (since Las Vegas? probably). At least they came on our first day, which we weren't too happy with, because our suitcases somehow exploded (noooo idea how that happened ;) ). They didn't come in after that (maybe because of the exploded suitcases?), but be aware they might come in more often

I think I may have read this on the WDW DVC side too. Might be true. Either way, no one should expect a full cleaning with beds made and towel replenishment.

David's or The DVC Rental Store or any other point broker companies will facilitate the process for you. Essentially, you are "renting" the DVC owner's points to stay in a DVC villa. Because of this, the DVC owner makes the reservation on your behalf and the broker is the middle man that handles the communication and payment. And because the owner is using their own points to make a reservation in your name, you typically have to pay in full at time of booking and you cannot change your dates or cancel for a refund. The other big caveat is that you really need to book well in advance to have your choice of dates and room types. Aulani owners can book as early as 11 months in advance, and non-Aulani DVC owners can book at 7 months in advance. We booked ours through an Aulani owner at 10 months out.

Other things to note are that since you are staying on a points reservation, you will not receive daily housekeeping. There is a trash room you can dump your garbage at and the rooms have washers and dryers if you need to wash towels (except a studio, but you will receive free laundry tokens for the laundry room). Housekeeping will come by on day 4 of your stay to change out towels and take out any garbage, and they will do a full cleaning on day 7 (I believe) if you're there that long. I believe you can also opt to pay extra for daily trash/towel service or daily full cleanings if you want.

If all of these things are tolerable to you, it does provide a great savings and you also would get free parking staying on a points reservation. Parking is normally $37 a day.
Thank you so much for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter