Best way to do Parks and Run

disland7

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
My family (7 of us) is signed up for marathon weekend. Someone will run every race day. I'm super excited for the race but I can't figure out what is best to do with the parks or if we shouldn't do the parks much/at all? I'm a rope drop type of park goer which won't happen. I now have older kids who don't want to miss too much school. We were are there from Wednesday through Saturday. What's everyone's experiences/recommendations doing a family trip (my kids ages are 16-8) and running?

Callling @Herding_Cats to the thread! (Not sure how much she's checking the boards while traveling but she has great advice on this.)

Here is the biggest problem doing the Dopey with kids—lack of nap time (for you). The 2 am wake-ups, lack of sleep, physical exertion all add up. My standard schedule is to run, come back to the hotel and have breakfast, nap from 9 to noon, and then maybe a light day at the parks in the afternoon. Trading nap time for park time definitely hits you once the marathon comes around.

The other hard part is the early bedtime. Good luck trying to get a 16 y/o to sleep at 8 pm. I’ve handled this two ways—either having the kid do the race with me the next day, or conning a relative to be there with the promise of a free trip to Disney. For the last one a multi-bedroom suite is essential.

I feel like we need more info, like who's running what, is everyone going to be waking up for the races, how they handle early wakeups, etc. I think the parks are very doable but you def have to keep in mind that you're going to be waking up VERY early for these races, there's a big adjustment so maybe it's a good idea to temper expectations. You can still do parks though!

I have done many Marathon Weekends with extended family. What I found best was to establish an itinerary based on everyone’s feedback ahead of time. I am usually doing Dopey, have a daughter doing 10k and half and sometimes others doing the 5k and marathon.

We figure out what are going to be the full family times and then work around that. Runners usually go a bit slower in the morning after races, eating and getting ready to head into the parks late morning. Another group that wants to rope drop does that and we all meet up at a designated place/time for family time. Generally we try to work any Lightning Lanes/Virtual Ques and ADRs during this time and by early evening the next day running group tends to head out after dinner to settle in for the night. Generally a second group stays later. Ultimately it works well the runners get time to sleep and recover the park commandos get to go play.

Does require adults in both groups, that has been a challenge a few times. Other things we do: try to minimize time on feet while in the park, one night during the trip we have a family movie night at the resort and (at least the marathon runners) tend to not do the parks on Saturday after the half and just have a pool day.

Lastly, as the one runner of our group running all the races I really try to focus on our family time. We have been doing it long enough now that we kinda have a system and it works in striking the balance btwn wiped out runners and family feeling short changed.

Hope you have a great trip!

I feel like we need more info, like who's running what, is everyone going to be waking up for the races, how they handle early wakeups, etc. I think the parks are very doable but you def have to keep in mind that you're going to be waking up VERY early for these races, there's a big adjustment so maybe it's a good idea to temper expectations. You can still do parks though!
True - more info:
5K DH and DD (10)
10K Me DS12
Half marathon DH, DS16, DS 14
Full DH.
DD 8 is not running any races.
We are normally excellent rope droppers. We did Disneyland half in January and did only 2 days in park following the Half (Sunday and Monday) and we were pretty worn out. So I'm trying to figure out what would be best.

Have low expectations. Like….really low. 100% have a rest day. Decide how important fireworks/evening shows are to you. Are you ok with bailing on a park if half your group is cranky and tired? Definitely use G+/ILL for must-do attractions.

The 5k is an easier day to make a park day, and the 10k is doable, but be ready for anyone running the half to do less/leave earlier.

I’m 100% team Nap, and what worked really well for myself and DH was to come back, shower, and set an alarm for 10:30 or 11. Are you OK with taking all the kids to a park while your husband runs? (MK is supposedly great on marathon morning….i would drive to Epcot and then monorail over if unless you’re at a monorail/ferry-access resort)

Have low expectations. Like….really low. 100% have a rest day. Decide how important fireworks/evening shows are to you. Are you ok with bailing on a park if half your group is cranky and tired? Definitely use G+/ILL for must-do attractions.

The 5k is an easier day to make a park day, and the 10k is doable, but be ready for anyone running the half to do less/leave earlier.

I’m 100% team Nap, and what worked really well for myself and DH was to come back, shower, and set an alarm for 10:30 or 11. Are you OK with taking all the kids to a park while your husband runs? (MK is supposedly great on marathon morning….i would drive to Epcot and then monorail over if unless you’re at a monorail/ferry-access resort)
I’m totally ok taking my kids by myself. Bailing on a planned park would be hard since the trip feels short. But logically I think I have to be ok with it if I’m deciding to do the races and park.

(MK is supposedly great on marathon morning….i would drive to Epcot and then monorail over if unless you’re at a monorail/ferry-access resort)

Can confirm it is easy and empty, IF you don't need to drive there!

Can you walk if staying at BLT
Once the runners are past, yes. I did it last year. Spectated the marathon until the runners went by (about 7:30am), then went up to my room to finish packing and take my bags to bell services. I walked over probably about 9am and it was EMPTY. Got tons of medal photos (I did the other 3 races) and went over to Epcot on the monorail to spectate more from there.

Here are all of my full trip recaps if you find any use. Variety of weekends, and my daughter has been participating since she was a baby (now 10).

2017 Dopey
2018 Dopey
2020 Marathon
2022 Princess
2023 Princess
2024 Disneyland

For us, it's an agreement between my wife and myself that it's a Disney trip first and a runDisney trip second. So I'm expected to be a full participant in the Disney trip. So I'm usually up at 1:45 am, PR level racing, back to hotel, headed for rope drop, usually we spend 1/2 to 3/4 day in park, dinner at 5pm, and bed at 6pm.

Here are all of my full trip recaps if you find any use. Variety of weekends, and my daughter has been participating since she was a baby (now 10).

2017 Dopey
2018 Dopey
2020 Marathon
2022 Princess
2023 Princess
2024 Disneyland

For us, it's an agreement between my wife and myself that it's a Disney trip first and a runDisney trip second. So I'm expected to be a full participant in the Disney trip. So I'm usually up at 1:45 am, PR level racing, back to hotel, headed for rope drop, usually we spend 1/2 to 3/4 day in park, dinner at 5pm, and bed at 6pm.
That's so kind of you to agree to. My DH will not be a full participant haha. But he is somewhat reluctant at some disney trips anyway. The races make it super fun for him and my oldest son. I'll definitely be looking at your recaps. Our Disneyland trip in Jan was different then we've ever done (we were so tired). I'm trying to figure out how to make it better since there are so many more parks at World - and more walking!!

True - more info:
5K DH and DD (10)
10K Me DS12
Half marathon DH, DS16, DS 14
Full DH.
DD 8 is not running any races.
We are normally excellent rope droppers. We did Disneyland half in January and did only 2 days in park following the Half (Sunday and Monday) and we were pretty worn out. So I'm trying to figure out what would be best.
I’d say have each of you list your top 3-5 “must dos” of the trip and try to check things off first than anything else is an added bonus

id probably do parks 5k & 10k day with family members running the 10k & Half to dip out around dinner time do springs, water park or resort hopping on half day and then maybe do parks lightly on full day with or without DH (or make that another easy day and tack on an extra day Monday for parks)

For my first Dopey I hit the parks pretty hard and I don't regret it. My couple tips:
  • Buy Genie+. Just do it. I hate buying it for shorter park days, but standing in lines hurts way more than 20k+ steps.
  • Again, avoid standing around at all costs! Sit on a bench, sit while eating, sit while refreshing for Genie+. Send someone else to wait in line for your food. No lines over 30 minutes and not more than 1 or 2 of those if you can avoid it (hence the Genie+).
  • Go early and leave early, I try to leave the parks for dinner and eat at my resort or order food in, so you can start winding down" earlier. Dinner around 4-5 is my goal otherwise I'm up all night. Well, I'm up all night anyways, but it's the thought that counts!
  • I think rope dropping is just fine on a race weekend. I always rope drop after the 5k and 10k since I'm already up.
  • NO AFTERNOON NAPS! DON'T DO IT! It will wreck your sleep! Push through! For kids it may be different, but as an adult, do not give into the nap!!!
I'll be honest. I sleep an average of 4 hours per night on race weekend. Sometimes less but rarely more. I'll sleep when I'm home, I figure :rotfl:

For my first Dopey I hit the parks pretty hard and I don't regret it. My couple tips:
  • Buy Genie+. Just do it. I hate buying it for shorter park days, but standing in lines hurts way more than 20k+ steps.
  • Again, avoid standing around at all costs! Sit on a bench, sit while eating, sit while refreshing for Genie+. Send someone else to wait in line for your food. No lines over 30 minutes and not more than 1 or 2 of those if you can avoid it (hence the Genie+).
  • Go early and leave early, I try to leave the parks for dinner and eat at my resort or order food in, so you can start winding down" earlier. Dinner around 4-5 is my goal otherwise I'm up all night. Well, I'm up all night anyways, but it's the thought that counts!
  • I think rope dropping is just fine on a race weekend. I always rope drop after the 5k and 10k since I'm already up.
  • NO AFTERNOON NAPS! DON'T DO IT! It will wreck your sleep! Push through! For kids it may be different, but as an adult, do not give into the nap!!!
I'll be honest. I sleep an average of 4 hours per night on race weekend. Sometimes less but rarely more. I'll sleep when I'm home, I figure :rotfl:
Thank you for your suggestions. The no nap is something I didn’t expect and hadn’t really thought about. I’m guessing people only running 1 race it’s ok? Maybe not? But the dopey runner that makes sense.

Thank you for your suggestions. The no nap is something I didn’t expect and hadn’t really thought about. I’m guessing people only running 1 race it’s ok? Maybe not? But the dopey runner that makes sense.
Oh sure for one race totally fine. Especially if after the race. I personally wouldn’t nap the day BEFORE a race though, unless you’re the type of person that can fall asleep easily at any time. I usually get up around 2-2:30AM for races so a reasonable bedtime would be 8PM. That is already super tough for me at least and I think would be even more challenging if you take a nap in the afternoon. But everyone is different of course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter