I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I'm totally scared by high Annual Fees, yet I just applied for and was approved for the Amex Platinum Business Card for a 250,000 SUB with $20K spend in 3 months! I can actually meet the spend as I mentioned in another post, but I still feel so nervous about it. I plan on using bank bonus money to cover the AF, but still $695 is huge!
I was getting the 200,000 SUB and was thinking about going for it, but then I took too long and it went away. I then kept pulling up 150,000. I tried another incongito window and pulled the 250,000, so I saw it as a sign that I had to go for it. Tell me I did the right thing and please share any tips on getting the most value out of the perks this card offers! Thanks!
The Biz Plat is fairly easy to break even on the AF. United Travel Bank purchases of $100 will trigger a credit and you can do that twice this year and twice next year for a total of $400. Dell's $200 bi-annual credit is also fairly easy to use if you like any of their products (I love the noise canceling Bose headphones). Both of those will automatically put you in the positive. If you already have Global Entry you can get it for someone else and pay the fee. The $10/month wireless credit is a nice bonus too.

The Biz Plat is fairly easy to break even on the AF. United Travel Bank purchases of $100 will trigger a credit and you can do that twice this year and twice next year for a total of $400. Dell's $200 bi-annual credit is also fairly easy to use if you like any of their products (I love the noise canceling Bose headphones). Both of those will automatically put you in the positive. If you already have Global Entry you can get it for someone else and pay the fee. The $10/month wireless credit is a nice bonus too.
I mean kind of, but that only works for the first year.

Also you should check with your cell phone provider about the wireless credit. I get a bigger discount for paying my bill through my checking account than I'd get in credit from Amex.

Have any of you ever booked a cruise through "American Airlines cruises"?

I'm wondering what your experience has been. I would normally always book direct with a cruise line but if AA can offer a good deal I'm willing to look into it, unless there are horror stories.

Thanks!

Could you tell me more about United Travel Bank? Is it like buying a gift card for United? I'm outside of Boston so for airports we use either BOS or PVD. I don't think United has a ton of flights out of either.

I mean kind of, but that only works for the first year.

Also you should check with your cell phone provider about the wireless credit. I get a bigger discount for paying my bill through my checking account than I'd get in credit from Amex.
Sure, but in this hobby the SUB is the real value, so keeping the card for a year is all that is required (unless you *love* the side benefits). I have T-Mobile, so I can partial pay the $10 and still get the debit card discount. I know Verizon is stingier on attempting those antics.

Could you tell me more about United Travel Bank? Is it like buying a gift card for United? I'm outside of Boston so for airports we use either BOS or PVD. I don't think United has a ton of flights out of either.
United Travel Bank is essentially a cash credit stored to your Mileage Plus account that is good for 5+ years from the time of purchase. It works just like cash to reduce future fares on United flights. It's a great way to burn a travel credit if you otherwise have a means of doing so and will take a United flight some time in the near future.

If United doesn't work for you, there's also a loophole for Southwest on flights ~<$100. Can be canceled for travel fund that can be transferred between people and doesn't expire. But not as convenient as United, which is in one pot. I believe there's also one for Delta involving cash + GC. You can google amex airline flyertalk for the most current DPs.

If United doesn't work for you, there's also a loophole for Southwest on flights ~<$100. Can be canceled for travel fund that can be transferred between people and doesn't expire. But not as convenient as United, which is in one pot. I believe there's also one for Delta involving cash + GC. You can google amex airline flyertalk for the most current DPs.
Delta works if you use a $50 e-gift card and the remaining fare is less than the total credit. So, you'd have to find a flight that's >$200. I used to do that a lot with Delta, but United is just easier.

Just a PSA for people who use the Amex Plat entertainment credits for Sirius XM - as of tomorrow 5/8/24 Sirius XM will no longer be covered by the digital entertainment credit. I hadn't seen this mentioned before, and just saw it as I was reconciling statements.

I'm totally scared by high Annual Fees, yet I just applied for and was approved for the Amex Platinum Business Card for a 250,000 SUB with $20K spend in 3 months! I can actually meet the spend as I mentioned in another post, but I still feel so nervous about it. I plan on using bank bonus money to cover the AF, but still $695 is huge!
I was getting the 200,000 SUB and was thinking about going for it, but then I took too long and it went away. I then kept pulling up 150,000. I tried another incongito window and pulled the 250,000, so I saw it as a sign that I had to go for it. Tell me I did the right thing and please share any tips on getting the most value out of the perks this card offers! Thanks!
#1 tip. Make sure you enroll in all of the benefits online. If you don't enroll and it requires enrollment, Dell for example, you won't get the credit.

Here is a decent checklist. https://frequentmiler.com/amex-platinum-checklist/

For Uber I like to use Uber Eats and do pickup somewhere like Chipotle, which keeps it closer to their actual prices.

Also, look for offers (like coupons). A lot of us save quite a bit of money using their offers.

Delta works if you use a $50 e-gift card and the remaining fare is less than the total credit. So, you'd have to find a flight that's >$200. I used to do that a lot with Delta, but United is just easier.

Unless you fly DL 🙂 Being in a DL hub and AS home means I rarely fly others domestically. The DL loophole has been easy to use but I do it on actual flights I don't deal with booking and canceling for an credit.

Sure, but in this hobby the SUB is the real value, so keeping the card for a year is all that is required (unless you *love* the side benefits). I have T-Mobile, so I can partial pay the $10 and still get the debit card discount. I know Verizon is stingier on attempting those antics.
If we're talking about full-on churning and not trying to optimize a lineup in between SUBs, the AF is absolutely irrelevant when there's a 250K SUB on the table. It doesn't need to be justified or rationalized because it justifies itself. Obviously you should still maximize your credits and other value that you can extract in those 12 months but you only need to ask if the AF is "worth it" when you're considering keeping the card open for a second cycle.

I'm getting ready to use Delta reward miles on a domestic flight because the cash price is more than I'd care to spend.

I have a Delta Biz Gold Amex and I get 15% discount on the points needed and will get 1 checked luggage and priority boarding.

Is there any reason to book main for 18,700 points vs economy basic for 15,300 points? I am traveling solo one way and do not care where I sit.

P2 (husband) has the CSR and I have the CSP. Should I charge the taxes and fees of $6 to one of those cards instead of the Delta Biz Gold Amex? If so, what would be the benefit again?

I'm second guessing myself and confusing myself and am afraid of pulling the trigger and making a mistake. :crazy2:

I'd appreciate some hand holding. Lol.

If we're talking about full-on churning and not trying to optimize a lineup in between SUBs, the AF is absolutely irrelevant when there's a 250K SUB on the table. It doesn't need to be justified or rationalized because it justifies itself. Obviously you should still maximize your credits and other value that you can extract in those 12 months but you only need to ask if the AF is "worth it" when you're considering keeping the card open for a second cycle.
I always go back and forth on starting to accumulate MR's. We don't fly internationally and probably won't be for a few years anyways, and that seems to be the best use of MR's. I know there used to be a Schwab cashout option but not sure if that's still an option. I remember giftcards being an option at one point too, although not at a great redemption value. I probably should look into it more but been staying busy with other currencies for now.

I'm getting ready to use Delta reward miles on a domestic flight because the cash price is more than I'd care to spend.

I have a Delta Biz Gold Amex and I get 15% discount on the points needed and will get 1 checked luggage and priority boarding.

Is there any reason to book main for 18,700 points vs economy basic for 15,300 points? I am traveling solo one way and do not care where I sit.

P2 (husband) has the CSR and I have the CSP. Should I charge the taxes and fees of $6 to one of those cards instead of the Delta Biz Gold Amex? If so, what would be the benefit again?

I'm second guessing myself and confusing myself and am afraid of pulling the trigger and making a mistake. :crazy2:

I'd appreciate some hand holding. Lol.

Quoting myself to add that I'd probably would NOT pay the taxes with my husband's CSR since he would not be traveling with me. That leaves my own CSP or the Delta Amex Biz Gold.

I always go back and forth on starting to accumulate MR's. We don't fly internationally and probably won't be for a few years anyways, and that seems to be the best use of MR's. I know there used to be a Schwab cashout option but not sure if that's still an option. I remember giftcards being an option at one point too, although not at a great redemption value. I probably should look into it more but been staying busy with other currencies for now.
International business class flights are the way to *optimize* value but the hoops you have to jump through and the flexibility you need to have in your travel schedule just aren't realistic for most people. But it's very very easy to get reasonably good value with domestic travel, easily between 1 CPP and 2 CPP. Hilton, Marriott, JetBlue, and Hawaiian Airlines are super easy to use.

My favorite exchange is 218,750 MR to 262,500 HawaiianMiles when they run a 20% transfer bonus. That gets me to Honolulu from Boston round trip for a family of 5 at a value of roughly 1.8 CPP.

Quoting myself to add that I'd probably would NOT pay the taxes with my husband's CSR since he would not be traveling with me. That leaves my own CSP or the Delta Amex Biz Gold.
"Basic Economy Award Tickets are also non-changeable and non-refundable in most cases; you may cancel for a fee in miles which is deducted from the value of your ticket, and the remaining mileage balance will be redeposited into your SkyMiles account." link

If you're absolutely going and fine with all the BE restrictions link then save the miles but unlike an economy ticket you can't cancel or reschedule and get all your miles back.

I'd book on CSP, DL gold card doesn't have the trip delay insurance the CSP has.

I would still consider charging it to the CSR since most of the sections cover immediate family members even when the card holder is not traveling. The CSR coverage is better, such as trip interruption is 6 hours instead of 12 for CSP. You can check the guide to benefits for the parts you're interested in. Each section has different definitions and it's not the clearest thing. CSR CSP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter