• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Breakfast on DCL

We loved room service on this trip. Cabanas for something more substantial. My parents enjoyed the dining room because it was so relaxed.

i go where the mickey waffles are...because mickey waffles for breakfast means...i'm somewhere disney. but i'm not the type to stay in my room so i'm out and about. though as a family we will do at least one lazy breakfast on the verandah.

We did a mix of all of these on our first cruise last summer. 3 sit downs: Character breakfast, debarkation breakfast, and a breakfast at Triton's the day we didn't care what time we got off at port. 1 room service for our early port day--great as a wake up call, and so that everyone could eat and get dressed in the room together. 2 Cabanas buffet breakfasts--including the day we all overslept, but were trying to catch a movie at 11AM. 1 day of Cove Café pastries, free coffee at the beverage station, yogurt thing at one of the quick service stations (the one with salads and fruits)--It was a late port day (11:15AM), I got up first, got coffee, went to Cove Café, enjoyed time to myself..then filled up a plate with pastries for the kids...ran into DH at the beverage station getting cocoa for the kids...and he also had a plate of pastries for them...we dropped off the food/cocoa for the kids in the room, and went back up to Cove Café to enjoy adult time!

Daisy's getting fruit and a pastry (and my yogurt thingy), eating on deck or my balcony then getting a second plate at Cabana's

Early bird runner here... I'm up and grab a quick sausage or two from Cabanas, get to my run, then collect sleepy husband from the stateroom. We head to Cabanas or the Cove Cafe, depending upon what he requires most: caffeine or protein. :coffee: Generally, we will eat in the MDR a few times. Usually on sea days when we aren't trying to exit the ship before the excursion groups. Since this time we are sailing the Wonder, Palo brunch will be inserted into the mix.

That's actually one of the things I love about sailing DCL; serious flexibility in mealtimes that don't require pre-planning or extra $$.

I love the MDR! I am another one with a food allergy so it helps me with that. But more importantly I love having my hot coffee refilled in china as I look out the large windows at St Thomas or another great island. It's a nice peaceful start to the day for our family.

We prefer the MDR. Our kids are young enough that they need help going through the buffet, so we find it much easier to sit down, order, and enjoy some family time while we wait instead of having to deal with both getting food for everyone and fielding requests to go back and forth to the buffet for seconds. Plus our sons get a kick out of selecting donuts from the waiter with the pastry tray, which I don't believe is offered in Cabana's.

Most mornings, we ordered hot tea, juice, and muffins from room service for when we first woke up, then went to Cabanas for breakfast a little later.

Most mornings, we ordered hot tea, juice, and muffins from room service for when we first woke up, then went to Cabanas for breakfast a little later.

I'm seeing this as a reoccurring concept & loving it! I think it will be the way to go most mornings : some light items from room service & then a bigger breakfast a bit later!

:thumbsup2 Very good point - never seen it mentioned in a post before :magnify:

Yeah, we have sailed DCL and Celebrity almost exclusively (except me, who sailed a few times growing up on other European lines) and while I like Celebrity for the things that Celebrity does best it is annoying that, usually, the 'alternative' dining rooms, ie. restaurants that are open seating usually cost extra. And not like Palo/Remy extra where you know that the food and service is going to be a few notches above. I hate paying for the 'privilege' of having an alternative to cattle-call dining.

If in concierge... breakfast from a MDR delivered to my room. If in a regular room, breakfast from a MDR. I'm not a huge fan of Cabanas....but I will eat there if I have to. haha

We like Cabanas. We're not big breakfast eaters so Cabanas gives us a lot of options and we can have just a little of what we want. Never had a problem getting seating & we don't really notice the noise. Also the MDRs close too early for my sleepy teen/young adult to make it there.
We did do brunch in a MDR on New Year's Day which was nice but they did try to get us to eat, eat, eat :-).

Also the MDRs close too early for my sleepy teen/young adult to make it there.

...and my sleepy hubby :duck:

I'd better find out at what time the MDRs close in Advance to prepare him, lol! If it's too early, I may just go w my parents & the kids. It's their first time on DCL , so I'm looking at things from their perspective :rolleyes:

...and my sleepy hubby :duck:

I'd better find out at what time the MDRs close in Advance to prepare him, lol! If it's too early, I may just go w my parents & the kids. It's their first time on DCL , so I'm looking at things from their perspective :rolleyes:

On our cruise they closed at 9.30 on port days. I think Castaway Cay day had an earlier closing. They closed at 10 on sea days, which you would think was late enough, but apparently not :D.

I am really surprised by how quickly breakfast closes. Not just on DCL. I know they have to get ready for lunch, but so many people are in a vacation headspace. My husband hates buffets but he could never get up in time for the sit down breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter