Bridgerton Season Two

I'm waiting until the next season of Umbrella Academy comes out to sign up for Netflix for a month, binge both, then cancel.

The problems I have are one
Queen Charlotte being black, this is based on a possibility that 15 generations back she had a solo black ancester. i looked at at that distance back her percentage odblack ancestry would be about 0.006%. I have 0.9% Ashkenazi Jewish doesn’t make me Jewish.
second she tried to marry Daphne to her nephew and stopped the special license until they begged to be allowed to marry would never have happened she didn’t have any power to do that.
three sorry mixed race relationships where not allowed the only known case she was treated like a housekeeper and when her husband died she was expelled from the family not politically correct but you can’t diversify the past there where about 20000 Black people in mostly servant or merchant positions
four the pregnant unmarried girl rejecting the brothers offer to marry wouldnt have happened best hope the family hid her and the baby ended up in a foundling hospital worse case ended on the streets baby the same
five the stupid powderedcwigs had been taxed so much about a decade earlier they disappeared
latly the dresses they wore fell from the bust who is stupid enough to tighten their waist in a corset(that didn’t exist anyway) when no one would notice and I saw in the trailer a baby being held at what looks like a ball that would never happen neither would Daphnes soblongs being at her presentation to the queen as with downtown abbey the girl and one relative won’t none of the family went
i know its fun to be fair and diverse but the age wasn’t diverse especially at court
I think that the purpose of the show is to not be historically accurate. Maybe that is why its actually popular. We know that women, non-whites, poor people etc. had it bad in those times (and even today?), but this story allows us to imagine what it might have been like if things were different- or through a different lens- they are people- not black or white- just actors playing a role.

I read the first book after watching the first season and probably won't read more books in the series. I enjoyed watching the first season, re-watched it this year and didn't enjoy it as much, but am definitely on-board for season 2. I'm looking forward to new characters and a new story line.

Imag8ne all you want but the insults the people who lived then. at least get some things right the dresses worn at the presentation wron and why is there no mention of almacis? being presented to the queen was nothing to getting a voucher at almacks it was the hub of the ton so why ignore it and diversifying the past is plain stupid. Try ashes of love if you want an epic story of love that survives three lifetimes. With actual acting in it. Bridgeton has worse acting than an episode of the woodentops

I find the diversity refreshing, as I do the fact that it's hardly mentioned and it's no big deal. Bridgerton is not based on a history textbook, it's based on a series of romance novels and the tropes in it are familiar to those of us who read them.

I binged the entire second season yesterday, and I *really* enjoyed it. I had a soft spot for Anthony in season 1, having read all the books and knowing his character's inner life through the thoughts he has in them. I was *dying* for him to find love, and for me, although I have to admit to liking the chemistry between Daphne and Simon a *bit* better than Anthony and Kate, this second season was like coming back to an old friend.

I find the diversity refreshing, as I do the fact that it's hardly mentioned and it's no big deal. Bridgerton is not based on a history textbook, it's based on a series of romance novels and the tropes in it are familiar to those of us who read them.

I binged the entire second season yesterday, and I *really* enjoyed it. I had a soft spot for Anthony in season 1, having read all the books and knowing his character's inner life through the thoughts he has in them. I was *dying* for him to find love, and for me, although I have to admit to liking the chemistry between Daphne and Simon a *bit* better than Anthony and Kate, this second season was like coming back to an old friend.
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it! I will have to watch slowly, as the episodes are long and I don’t have time to watch except on the weekend right now. Looking forward to more episodes.

Love the chemistry between Anthony and Kate. Interested in seeing what happens in the Featherington (sp?) household.

Imag8ne all you want but the insults the people who lived then. at least get some things right the dresses worn at the presentation wron and why is there no mention of almacis? being presented to the queen was nothing to getting a voucher at almacks it was the hub of the ton so why ignore it and diversifying the past is plain stupid. Try ashes of love if you want an epic story of love that survives three lifetimes. With actual acting in it. Bridgeton has worse acting than an episode of the woodentops

The people who lived then aren't around to be insulted.
The series isn't meant to be a documentary with accurate historical facts.
It's just a cheesy romance story, not even epic, to entertain us.
If I want historical facts I'll read a history book, but I personally enjoyed watching Rege-Jean Page :cloud9: and could care less that he was "too diverse" to play a Duke in that time frame.
I'm disappointed he won't be in season 2, but if the other actors look as good as him, I don't really care how not true their skin tone is to the historical time their story takes place.

Please no spoliers, some of us won't be able to watch it for a few more days!

I just watched the first episode of the new season. I am struggling to get into it already. I read all of the series after watching season 1even though the books were pretty light and fluff. Hope the season improves!

but I personally enjoyed watching Rege-Jean Page :cloud9:
He's the reason I started watching in the first place. I haven't started the new season yet, will do so today. I'm not in a huge hurry because I didn't care for Anthony in the first season- his character or the actor who plays him. I'm hoping my mind will be changed once I start watching.

It's amazing how people are complaining about the diversity being unrealistic when the entire concept of high society women marrying for love in the early 1800s is unplausible. It's just a work of fiction, who cares what skin color the character is and just enjoy it.

I've seen the first couple of episodes. I'm sad there are only 8 but it's interesting to see how the book compares. They cast the actress perfectly in terms of Kate. Can't wait to see more.

I admittedly miss the Duke. And, because Simon is not in season 2, Daphne hasn’t been around as much either. And, now that Anthony is getting his due & having a time w/ Kate, I think some scenes between Simon & Anthony in season 2 would have been fun. (I almost think the Duke should have been recast for Season 2.)

However, even w/o Simon, I think I’m actually enjoying Season 2 a little more than Season 1.

I’m on episode 5 & have found this season to be, in different ways, wittier. And, while I might miss the more frequent s-e-x scenes, the slow burn is really good too. I think also, because it’s not centered on just Daphne & Simon, more of the characters are being used as well… there seems to be more group scenes w/ characters interacting which makes for some witty & fun dialogue.

I love Benedict & absolutely adore Violet & Eloise. Penelope gets on my nerves.

All that said, Bridgerton is NOT a historical documentary or even really historical fiction.

It’s based off a historical romance series, & it’s light & frothy & fun.

The way it’s filmed…. the lighting, the colors… it has a fairy tale quality to me. And I think the use of actors from all different ethnicities really works well too.

Last edited:

I'll never find the articles/interviews about this show from 2 years ago, however, the casting for Bridgerton was purposefully done without regard to race or historical accuracy. Done on purpose. You are to overlook the ethnicity/race/skin color of the characters and assume that the casting was done on the best acting qualities of the actor matched to the character. I think they've done a fantastic job with this.

It has been a while since I have seen season 1, so I might do a recap first. Not the best, but I definitely enjoyed it. Liked that there was an important part for a fuller girl, and there was only a handful of fat jokes at the beginning.

About the different races. My thoughts as I remember them from a year ago. As it is not just one character, it doesnt feel as much as making a point. I do seem to remember that when they say diverse in race, it is negroide and caucasian. There were not a lot of Asian actors, do I remember that correctly?

Another thing I remember was thinking during the first season was the choice for which parts would be played by an actor of colour and which by a white actor. In my memory, either the white actors played characters much more flawed than the actors of colour (or the other way around, memory is fuzzy here). I seem to remember the white actors' characters were meaner, making stupid decisions, etc. And the characters of actors of colour were morally better people. Did more people think this, or was that just me.

The problems I have are one
Queen Charlotte being black, this is based on a possibility that 15 generations back she had a solo black ancester. i looked at at that distance back her percentage odblack ancestry would be about 0.006%. I have 0.9% Ashkenazi Jewish doesn’t make me Jewish.
second she tried to marry Daphne to her nephew and stopped the special license until they begged to be allowed to marry would never have happened she didn’t have any power to do that.
three sorry mixed race relationships where not allowed the only known case she was treated like a housekeeper and when her husband died she was expelled from the family not politically correct but you can’t diversify the past there where about 20000 Black people in mostly servant or merchant positions
four the pregnant unmarried girl rejecting the brothers offer to marry wouldnt have happened best hope the family hid her and the baby ended up in a foundling hospital worse case ended on the streets baby the same
five the stupid powderedcwigs had been taxed so much about a decade earlier they disappeared
latly the dresses they wore fell from the bust who is stupid enough to tighten their waist in a corset(that didn’t exist anyway) when no one would notice and I saw in the trailer a baby being held at what looks like a ball that would never happen neither would Daphnes soblongs being at her presentation to the queen as with downtown abbey the girl and one relative won’t none of the family went
i know its fun to be fair and diverse but the age wasn’t diverse especially at court
I am like you. I watch any and all period drama to do with the regency era and I had a hard time with this one because of those same things. With this one, it's just cute and nowhere near reality so I suspend reality for the sake of getting to see the outfits lol. It's like they are trying to go waaaay out on the diversity limb to a comical degree, but I love the modern music turned classical so I watch and roll my eyes when necessary. (which is constantly) because I think historically inaccurate fluff only perpetuates the ignorance of todays youth but...there you are.

It's amazing how people are complaining about the diversity being unrealistic when the entire concept of high society women marrying for love in the early 1800s is unplausible. It's just a work of fiction, who cares what skin color the character is and just enjoy it.

I've seen the first couple of episodes. I'm sad there are only 8 but it's interesting to see how the book compares. They cast the actress perfectly in terms of Kate. Can't wait to see more.
I can only answer for myself but I've been called a racist before for saying that I was taught not to see color. That seems to be the newest thing that's come along to change the rules and tell us that we're still wrong. Now, they come out with a show that is set in a time where there would NEVER be racial diversity in it's characters and we're told that we're not supposed to notice. It's the hypocrisy that annoys me. You can't have it both ways and yet still tell me I'm wrong.

I'll never find the articles/interviews about this show from 2 years ago, however, the casting for Bridgerton was purposefully done without regard to race or historical accuracy. Done on purpose. You are to overlook the ethnicity/race/skin color of the characters and assume that the casting was done on the best acting qualities of the actor matched to the character. I think they've done a fantastic job with this.
If that were actually true though, each family wouldn't be one race or another and they are.

I just watched the first episode of the new season. I am struggling to get into it already. I read all of the series after watching season 1even though the books were pretty light and fluff. Hope the season improves!
I agree. I enjoyed season 1. Only got about halfway through first episode... hope it gets better.

I think they almost tongue and cheek the woke blueprint stuff... I mean when they were going thru the court girls... I think they hit every ethnicity in 15 seconds

Look around you the next time you're out running errands. There is diversity in the world, and I don't think that it's a bad thing for an actor to be considered for a role regardless of their race or ethnicity. Yes, of course I noticed the different races in Bridgerton, because I had never seen different races in period drama before, and I found it refreshing and about time. This show is never going to be historically accurate. It is meant to be a confection, good sexy fun. If you want historically accurate period drama, watch something else. You're just torturing yourself. I'm a lover of historical costume, with a particular love of Regency costume. Bridgerton is not accurate there, either-but it's not meant to be. It's a fantasy world where everything glitters and sparkles.

Anyway, I'm sort of sorry I binged the entire thing in one day. I feel like I ate an entire box of chocolates in one sitting, and now I wish I had more. I love Anthony, mainly because I loved his story in The Viscount Who Loved Me. And Jonathan Bailey is easy on the eyes, yes he is. Oh boy.

I loved it. LOVED it. Episode three was just flawless. I liked Anthony and Kate a lot more than Simon and Daphne mostly because Daphne looked like a child with those awful baby bangs and I didn’t buy their romance (as well the whole Duke pull-out plot which was just icky). This whole love/hate thing this season is FAR more enjoyable to watch and the slow burn was vastly preferable to me. Anthonyand Kate are SO alike and I loved their obvious chemistry and ridiculous competitiveness. I’m rewatching already.

I loved it. LOVED it. Episode three was just flawless. I liked Anthony and Kate a lot more than Simon and Daphne mostly because Daphne looked like a child with those awful baby bangs and I didn’t buy their romance (as well the whole Duke pull-out plot which was just icky). This whole love/hate thing this season is FAR more enjoyable to watch and the slow burn was vastly preferable to me. Anthonyand Kate are SO alike and I loved their obvious chemistry and ridiculous competitiveness. I’m rewatching already.

I agree with you on Daphne--she just never "fit" in her role. To much like a 12 year old to me where the Duke was much more sophisticated and, appeareance wise, way out of Daphne's league.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter