Bus Stop Etiquette Question

A little courtesy goes a long way. This thread reminded me of one morning last December waiting for the AK bus at the WL bus stop. There was an older couple waiting on the benches when we arrived, but we formed up at the line/signs. Overheard the woman make a comment about people being in such a hurry and trying to get on before anyone else. No worries - I just spoke up, asked if they were going to AK, and said they could get on ahead of us when the bus arrived.

Other families show up and get in line behind us. About 2 minutes before the bus arrived, the rest of the older couple's family showed up - at least another 15 people. Who all tried to ignore the line and get on first right behind the older couple. The irony of the woman's earlier comments was not lost on me. But the moral of the story is that some people not only consider sitting on the benches to be in line, but also think this holds their entire group's place in that line.

Ok. Thank you for all the replies! Yes, I do wish they had lines as well,,BUT I do like the benches when I have to wait a while and no one else is there. I think we will just sort of get in line, stand aside if it is not our bus, and not worry too much about those sitting. Although I will probably let the sitters go ahead of me if they were there first and it is practical at that time. If it is overcrowded I will not worry too much. I absolutely will not push ahead of others who are waiting for the same bus. Imagine if everyone did that???
This is what I do as well. If there are only a couple of us at the stop waiting, i'll let the 'sitters' go first since they've been waiting longest. But in a crowd its a different story.

Perhaps it's because I don't do rope drop - it's a vacation not a competition & we stay 9-11 nights so aren't stressed about missing something - but I don't encounter many issues at the deluxe bus stops & I like that the benches are there to rest if you have a long wait for the next bus and would not want another roped off line to stand in, if you want that at the bus stop just stay in a value resort. Typically people seem to sort themselves out in order of arrival IME, it really only takes one polite person, for example, to ask if the elderly couple waiting on the bench would like to board first since they've been waiting longest, to set the tone for everyone. It's been several years since we stayed in a moderate, but I do recall those bus stops being more chaotic at times- especially if it's been a long wait for a bus & lots of people have accumulated waiting for the overdue bus, and of course you do encounter the occasional rude person or last minute family members trying to rush up and crowd at all the bus stops, but that's like only 1% of the time.

Hello! This is kind of a random question, but something I always stress a little about at the bus stop. I always want to make sure I am not cutting in line, but this scenario has happened a few times. Say we get to the bus stop early. There may be one other family on a bench. I want to make sure to let that family go in front of me, but I don't want all the people after me to get in front of my family. Do we wait behind first family, leaving all that empty space by where the bus will open the doors, or go ahead and line up where the bus will come? I hope this makes sense. I wish you could just take a number or something!

This is why I like the set up with the roped off line queue at the Values. When we have stayed at the Deluxe resorts, the bus stop situation was uncomfortable and stressful.

I don't think there is any need for lines at the mod and deluxe resorts. Never have I had an issue at the bus stops. Plus, they stops would have to be totally redone as they are not set up to easily add any sort of roped off line. Just leave them like it is.

I see it like this... if I sit, then I won't get on the bus first nor should I expect to do so. No one knows which of the parks I am going to. I could have easily stood at the line to wait, but I made the choice to sit for whatever reason (sometimes because I NEED to sit and sometimes because I want to). My options, my choice, and I have to accept what it means.

I think it's about using common sense. If you noticed people were there before you and it's that important for them to get on first let them. But I've never been at the bus stop where everyone wouldn't fit on the next bus so it never really mattered if we got on first or last.

I don't think there is any need for lines at the mod and deluxe resorts. Never have I had an issue at the bus stops.
You're lucky you haven't encountered any rudeness getting on a bus at the deluxe resorts. Maybe it's because we travel at such busy times (by which I mean lots of people waiting at peak times), but people who can't board a bus in an orderly fashion is almost always something we encounter. Last spring at the CR there was a very loud family waiting for the bus. The kids were yelling, the parents were yelling, it was obnoxious. The bus arrived, and this family raced to get on, elbowing their way to the front. The mother (mother!) pushed another mom with a folded stroller out of her way so that they could be the first on the bus. One of the kids announced it ("first on the bus!") as he got on, too. That's a pretty extreme example. Usually people at the deluxe resorts are a bit tamer than that, although there's almost always a rush and crowding when a bus pulls up.

We remember that family and try not to be like them. My kids began calling them The Loud Family. Whenever one of us starts to forget our manners, someone will say "you're acting like The Loud Family" or "don't be like The Loud Family". LOL

I prefer the bus-stops for the Moderates to the queues at Pop/Values. No shade, all concrete - HOT. We stayed at POFQ two weeks ago and we had some bad bus luck - missed the morning bus we wanted less than 5 minutes after it had left at least 3 of 5 days. So we sat when possible, watching the estimated arrival times on the monitor. When the stop started to fill up, we'd stand so that we would be sure to get on the next bus to our destination. Being a small resort with only one stop, most of the time the entire group made it onto the bus. A couple of times, those running up at the last minute had to wait, but those of us who had been there for 10-20 minutes or more made it. We've often stayed at CSR and as long as we are using the outlying stops (not the one at the main building) we've gotten on with no problem.

I think it's about using common sense. If you noticed people were there before you and it's that important for them to get on first let them. But I've never been at the bus stop where everyone wouldn't fit on the next bus so it never really mattered if we got on first or last.
But at the Deluxe Resorts, when you get to the bus stop and there are people already there, you don't know which park bus they are waiting for. They may be all going to the same park as you, or the three groups of people already there may be going to all different parks than you. Yes, if there was only one bus, it wouldn't be impossible to keep track of who was first, but I can't guess who might be going to three or four different places.

I've never understood why other people's awful behavior bothers someone unless it is some sort of verbal abuse or physical threat. Just please get on the bus when you have a chance. I appear to be in the minority here but there are no queues for the New York City subway or the bus stops along Oxford Street in London. I don't expect people to queue when waiting for a bus. Would it be nice if they were polite and orderly? Yes. Am I going to worry about it? No.

What's the old saying, "You can’t control everything that happens to you, but you CAN control the way you respond."

But at the Deluxe Resorts, when you get to the bus stop and there are people already there, you don't know which park bus they are waiting for. They may be all going to the same park as you, or the three groups of people already there may be going to all different parks than you. Yes, if there was only one bus, it wouldn't be impossible to keep track of who was first, but I can't guess who might be going to three or four different places.

But if everyone is getting on that bus does it matter who's first or second?

I will say again that I've never been at a resort bus stop that was so crowded that not everyone could get on the next bus.

I've never understood why other people's awful behavior bothers someone unless it is some sort of verbal abuse or physical threat. Just please get on the bus when you have a chance. I appear to be in the minority here but there are no queues for the New York City subway or the bus stops along Oxford Street in London. I don't expect people to queue when waiting for a bus. Would it be nice if they were polite and orderly? Yes. Am I going to worry about it? No.

What's the old saying, "You can’t control everything that happens to you, but you CAN control the way you respond."

That's what I keep thinking. I didn't experience any extraordinary rudeness on the Wdw busses but I just can't imagine that the crowd is unmanageable to the point they have to line people up like elementary kids. I've taken transit in both London and NYC too, and you just board when you can board. Yet threads like this one make the bus system sound so complicated.

A perfect and essential quote for enjoying WDW (or really anywhere with crowds). It's better to focus on the positive and enjoyable. There's no denying that there's ugliness to be found at Disney - with a fair share of "me first" attitudes. That sense of entitlement knows neither bounds nor Disney resort tiers.

My example above sticks out because it was an outlier. But c'est la vie - we still got on the bus and had a fantastic day at AK.

We hang near the curb, people sitting down or not.
If a bus pulls up and there's just a few of us, we let the people who were seated when we got there go first.
If a bus comes and the crowd/line is big I would hope the people sitting on the benches would have gotten in line by now!

When I choose to sit on the bench at a WDW bus stop, I understand that people who arrive after me will most likely board the bus before me. I'm not offended if this happens. I ride public transit at home and when I am waiting at a bus stop in my neighborhood with a handful of people, we board according to who arrives at the stop first. Boarding a downtown bus stop is another story. Similar to a WDW deluxe resort stop, there are dozens of people waiting for several different buses. There are no lines and I can tell you that no one is keeping track of who arrived first. Most people board according to who is closest to where the bus stops without any pushing, hurt feelings, or drama. I don't expect anything different at WDW.

If people want to wait on a bench then they should expect others to get on the bus before them.
I like value resorts for the fact that they have a distinct line for the buses.
If you're not lined up in it well that's not my problem because I will be rain or shine, tired or not.
Really I don't get this. My southern manners says you know who was there first and you are gracious to them. Buy if they are slow as poke, that's another story and merge.

I basically just get on the bus when it comes, which is admittedly a little rude. In my opinion, its up to families or groups to assert themselves when the bus comes, especially if they feel it may be full.

We usually stay at the AKL where this is not an issue (at least the bus being full). I have noticed the POP has like rope lines which I think all resorts should have.

When it comes to a bus I would not beat yourself up too much over the minutiae of boarding, such as if a family is there first.

The only time I kick it up a notch if it looks like a bus may fill up, which at the AKL has only been an issue a couple of times.

So you are saying it's okay to push past others? There is no need to "assert yourself." Get in line and wait your turn.

Really I don't get this. My southern manners says you know who was there first and you are gracious to them. Buy if they are slow as poke, that's another story and merge.

If I am willing to wait in a designated bus line then why shouldn't I get on the bus first?
If one person in your party absolutely needs a bench ok sure by all means let them sit but someone from your group should be holding the line. If you're all sitting then you're not in line and I am so why should I stand there and let you on first?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rope lines will be introduced to all resorts. Sometimes at the deluxe's its not as much an issue, because I don't think there are larger groups. I'm 6'2 accustomed to Philadelphia mass transit so I can navigate on and off through a crowd with no issue ( and some rudeness admittedly), however my mother and sister can have some difficulty. I don't like to be pushy but sometimes its what you gotta do. #sorrynotsorry

I absolutely agree in regards to the starting the day off stressed. Hopefully they'll either add the rope lines at all resorts, or have a cast member present. Last year at AKL in late June there was a cast member who helped provide some control on busier mornings.

Why is it necessary to be rude? So what if you are 6'2? That does NOT entitle you to push through past others! It sounds like by your own admission if they have to add rope lines or have a cast member present, it is due to people like yourself.

When I was there last week, 95% of the people waiting for a bus got in line and boarded when it was their turn. Unfortunately, there was always that one guy or couple that as soon as the doors open had to run ahead of the line and jump on the bus instead of waiting their turn. Was that you?

So no it's not "what you gotta do." It's do what you choose to do: The right thing or the rude thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter