Bus Stop Etiquette Question

But if everyone is getting on that bus does it matter who's first or second?

I will say again that I've never been at a resort bus stop that was so crowded that not everyone could get on the next bus.
I have been at a bus stop so crowded that not everyone could get on the first bus much less the second (and with a 45 minute wait for the second bus after a 35 minute wait for the first bus...well, let's see if your opinion changes at that point).

Last December (early December, not at the height of park crowds), while staying at BC, the buses to AK were just out of whack. We got to the bus area (six of us in our party), and there were a few people waiting. Everyone was sitting on a bench. A bus to MK arrived...and a few people on the benches left. A bus to Epcot arrived. And a few people on the benches left. So we sat while waiting for the bus to AK. 20 minutes later, when the screen with arrival time FINALLY noted that the but to AK was on its way, a few of us on the benches went to wait by the mostly empty curb.

20 plus minutes later (still no bus), there was a huge group of people waiting behind us for the bus to AK. And it was pretty obvious those of us at the front of the curb had been there first. But when the bus pulled up (after loading two scooters plus related families), several people who had arrived well after those of us in the front of our line (some who had just walked up!) pushed forward and cut in front of people who had been waiting or close to an hour.

Sorry, but I wasn't in a mood at that point to just shrug my shoulders and think "OH WELL."

By the time that first bus was loaded, quite a few of us who were among the first to line up at the curb were still standing on the curb. AND there was a huge group of people (many who had just arrived) pushing in front of us and pushing from behind as they waited for the next bus. The crowd was so large that it was obvious that once again, there were too many people to fit on the next bus.

After close to 45 more minutes (with nary a bus to AK in sight while even more people arrived...with many walking onto the road to stand in front of us after asking if we were waiting for the bust to AK), I said "EFF this" and took my party of six to the front of BC where we caught a taxi that I paid for because it was worth it to escape the madness.

After that experience, I have very little patience with those who say "who cares how chaotic the line is like, you'll get on the bus anyway!!!" because...NOPE, you don't always get on the bus. Sorry, but you don't, and what I witnessed in December was ridiculous.

I know that experience was not typical, but it really, really soured me on the free-for-all bus lines at mods and deluxe hotels. I was shocked at the rude behavior. I've since included Uber and cab fares into my budget for this very reason...just not worth putting up with.

I will preface this by saying I am a British person.

I try to be relaxed about it, but, sometimes the waits are long, and I have small children. That said, my usual plan is to notice who is at the stop before I arrive, so I kind of know who I need to remind my children was here before them, and thus entitled to board before them. I also do loudly explain to them to "let the people here before you on first" (Same as "let the people get off first, don't push!") Then, aware of people who might need the seat more, elderly people, those with mobility aids, pregnant people, people carrying sleeping small children / carrying babies.

BUT, it really makes me cross when I have made my children wait politely when whole groups will just shove in front of them. WE QUEUED. That's what you do for a limited capacity thing, surely?

I'd have to say that in my many visits to WDW, I have found the courteous outnumber the rude by a large margin. Unfortunately, it's the rude encounters we tend to remember. To the OP's point, most WDW visitors know that a line is a line and when the bus comes, the doors open, and people board. That's the expected process and if someone wants to let bench sitters in front of them, by all means do so, but I don't think you're obligated. If there's one thing we know well as Disney guests, it's how lines work, LOL!

I've found that even if there's no order while waiting for the bus, everyone generally knows who was there before them and lets them on first. Of course there's always that one person or family that pops out from behind the shelter when the bus comes and tries to get right to the front of the line.

I have been at a bus stop so crowded that not everyone could get on the first bus much less the second (and with a 45 minute wait for the second bus after a 35 minute wait for the first bus...well, let's see if your opinion changes at that point).

Last December (early December, not at the height of park crowds), while staying at BC, the buses to AK were just out of whack. We got to the bus area (six of us in our party), and there were a few people waiting. Everyone was sitting on a bench. A bus to MK arrived...and a few people on the benches left. A bus to Epcot arrived. And a few people on the benches left. So we sat while waiting for the bus to AK. 20 minutes later, when the screen with arrival time FINALLY noted that the but to AK was on its way, a few of us on the benches went to wait by the mostly empty curb.

20 plus minutes later (still no bus), there was a huge group of people waiting behind us for the bus to AK. And it was pretty obvious those of us at the front of the curb had been there first. But when the bus pulled up (after loading two scooters plus related families), several people who had arrived well after those of us in the front of our line (some who had just walked up!) pushed forward and cut in front of people who had been waiting or close to an hour.

Sorry, but I wasn't in a mood at that point to just shrug my shoulders and think "OH WELL."

By the time that first bus was loaded, quite a few of us who were among the first to line up at the curb were still standing on the curb. AND there was a huge group of people (many who had just arrived) pushing in front of us and pushing from behind as they waited for the next bus. The crowd was so large that it was obvious that once again, there were too many people to fit on the next bus.

After close to 45 more minutes (with nary a bus to AK in sight while even more people arrived...with many walking onto the road to stand in front of us after asking if we were waiting for the bust to AK), I said "EFF this" and took my party of six to the front of BC where we caught a taxi that I paid for because it was worth it to escape the madness.

After that experience, I have very little patience with those who say "who cares how chaotic the line is like, you'll get on the bus anyway!!!" because...NOPE, you don't always get on the bus. Sorry, but you don't, and what I witnessed in December was ridiculous.

I know that experience was not typical, but it really, really soured me on the free-for-all bus lines at mods and deluxe hotels. I was shocked at the rude behavior. I've since included Uber and cab fares into my budget for this very reason...just not worth putting up with.

Well that's different than anything I've witnessed. Like IrishNYC said I've always witnessed people acting orderly (with the rare person being a butthead) so for me who gets on first isn't a big deal.

Back in Feb, while staying at the CR, we arrived at the bus stop right as the DHS arrived. We got in line, but were the first people not on the bus. We stayed in the exact same spot (20 some minutes) and very barely made it on the next bus (and that required jockeying to get us on the bus) because people swarm from every which direction to the bus.

Many of the deluxe bus stops are a mess. Often no CMs to help organize people. And it's not clear where to stand, where the "lines" are not linear and just irradiate outward and then people try to pile onto the bus from every which direction. I would far prefer actual queues (I didn't know the values had them, seems like a good idea).

When we get to the stop, we hit the benches, then when the anticipated arrival time is close, we meander to where you load. At the mods/deluxes, I feel that it is first come/first served in line. One thing I love about the values - no jockeying for position. Now, if only Pop would cover their stops...it would be utopia!

Many of the deluxe bus stops are a mess. Often no CMs to help organize people. And it's not clear where to stand, where the "lines" are not linear and just irradiate outward and then people try to pile onto the bus from every which direction. I would far prefer actual queues (I didn't know the values had them, seems like a good idea).

This is the problem I see the most. There is no actual line but people merging from just every side. I'm a small person and can't tell you how many times I've been pushed aside by people just rushing to get on and getting in front of me. I'm southern so it takes a lot for me to be rude and even more for my son to be rude but I've seen him put on his military face and block people so I don't get trampled at a silly bus stop. We don't mind waiting for the next bus or even standing so we are never pushy, it's vacation and just not worth it but evidently there are some people that think those parks are not still going to be there if they wait or are polite.

Value queues just won't work at moderates because all the satellite bus stops just don't have the space for this.

I've never found it a problem at moderates or Deluxe. People for the most part sit on the benches and when they see their bus coming get up and queue.

The only frustration I've had was at Por main bus stop. People just stood on line, period. Didn't matter if it was their bus coming or not. So, when I saw my bus I got up to join queue, only the large group in front of me was just standing there. Turns out it wasn't their bus but all the people behind them don't know this. So my opinion is that if it's not your bus, stand aside and let people on!!! I avoid the main bus depot, it's just too chaotic.

If people would just use consideration there is no need for cattle pen queues.

I've only had that problem once, and everyone was in line and it seemed like no one was moving out of the way.

We were at the Floridian. Monorail was down. The only time during our trip that it was down. Everyone was in line for 4 different parks, in an area that normally holds people for 2 parks.

My husband and I are pretty far back. No biggie. it is our first day, and we have plenty of time.

Then our bus came. About 6 people got on, and the CM was calling for anyone else going to that park. Not one person would move out of the way so we could get to the bus. There was another bus for the same park, a couple of buses back. So we told the CM to send the bus, that maybe we could get to the front after some of the people moved.

Even then, it wasn't easy getting by some of those people. They just stood there, in the way. I had to ask every single person to move. It got to where I was honking my scooter horn to snap them out of it.

Agreed.

When I used to commute by bus the benches were part of the line. Bench sitters were in line just like the standees. And we knew it and accommodated it.

I don't agree. If you are on a bench to me it is obvious you are not in line. I think it is the people that think they are that cause the problems. You can be either on a bench or in line. Not both

IMO until you are in line there are no spaces being held or order in which you should be boarding. If I want to make sure I'm on the next bus I stand where the line will start. If I know it's not going to be crowded we may sit down and in that case if someone else walks up and stands in line before me, no big deal.

I don't agree. If you are on a bench to me it is obvious you are not in line. I think it is the people that think they are that cause the problems. You can be either on a bench or in line. Not both
I agree with this. If I choose to sit on the bench until bus arrives I don't expect to get in the front of the line. When I see my bus coming I get up and go into the queue.
What makes me crazy is the people who are in the queue when it's not their bus.

I've only had that problem once, and everyone was in line and it seemed like no one was moving out of the way.

We were at the Floridian. Monorail was down. The only time during our trip that it was down. Everyone was in line for 4 different parks, in an area that normally holds people for 2 parks.

My husband and I are pretty far back. No biggie. it is our first day, and we have plenty of time.

Then our bus came. About 6 people got on, and the CM was calling for anyone else going to that park. Not one person would move out of the way so we could get to the bus. There was another bus for the same park, a couple of buses back. So we told the CM to send the bus, that maybe we could get to the front after some of the people moved.

Even then, it wasn't easy getting by some of those people. They just stood there, in the way. I had to ask every single person to move. It got to where I was honking my scooter horn to snap them out of it.
We've had a couple of 2 week stays at GF. I love all the benches, and usually people just sit until their bus comes but when monorail is down it can be chaotic. People are strange. One morning there was a long line on the ramp and entire seating area was empty. But you couldn't get by ramp people :confused3 it was the strangest thing. After that we took the route past Gaspys to bus stop!! Sounds like you needed an air horn to snap them out of it :rotfl:

It's just like getting on any city bus. When the bus shows up you line up. Just because someone was there before you doesn't necessarily mean they get on first.

Well for both of you, don't move to the Seattle area and commute by bus. Because people do use the benches as being in line, and have since I was doing the commute thing in '97.

It's not unheard of, to have benches as part of a line for those who maybe can't stand for ages or who are just tired.

But this stuff makes me crazy at wdw so we almost always drive. Can't deal with the people who think people on benches are just there to be there. No, they are there at the bus stop because they are waiting for a bus. Why else would they be there?

I think a lot of the disorganization stems from the fact that many, many people visiting WDW are not public transportation commuters, and have no idea of the unwritten rules of queueing. I grew up in NYC, I've been using public transportation since I was born, navigating it alone since junior high school - I understand the brashest of unwritten, but understood, public transportation rules. Most of the US does not use crowded, hectic public transportation on a daily basis, and many seem to think it's a free-for-all race to see who can shove in front of the most people first.

What makes me crazy is the people who are in the queue when it's not their bus.
Yes yes yes! If it's not your bus at the curb, please, for the love of all things, MOVE!

yeah, sorry. If I get to the bus stop just after my bus leaves, and I sit down, I was there before you, and I will get on the next bus before you. The benches aren't there for decoration.

Edit: If I see the bus stop is getting crowded, I do get up. But, if there are just 2 or 3 families waiting for the bus, you know who was there first.

Last edited:
A little courtesy goes a long way. This thread reminded me of one morning last December waiting for the AK bus at the WL bus stop. There was an older couple waiting on the benches when we arrived, but we formed up at the line/signs. Overheard the woman make a comment about people being in such a hurry and trying to get on before anyone else. No worries - I just spoke up, asked if they were going to AK, and said they could get on ahead of us when the bus arrived.

Other families show up and get in line behind us. About 2 minutes before the bus arrived, the rest of the older couple's family showed up - at least another 15 people. Who all tried to ignore the line and get on first right behind the older couple. The irony of the woman's earlier comments was not lost on me. But the moral of the story is that some people not only consider sitting on the benches to be in line, but also think this holds their entire group's place in that line.

That's nerve! I would have said that my offer applied to the two of them only, not the rest of their family.

Really I don't get this. My southern manners says you know who was there first and you are gracious to them. Buy if they are slow as poke, that's another story and merge.

I don't consider people sitting on a bench to be on line for the bus until they get up. Maybe it's just that I travel on mass transit everyday and that's just the way it is. If I sit on a bench waiting for a train or bus, others will be first to get on before me. I don't see why that should be any different in Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter